Man, firewood is a lot of work!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jags said:
TradEddie said:
but if like me you only need a cord or so each year, all within 200yds of the house, you shouldn't need anything more than a chainsaw, maul/ax/wedges and a wheelbarrow.

TE

But if your like me (and others) and typically torch off 5 cords per year - you may want to use the assistance of anything that makes the job easier/faster/more efficient. Just say'in.

At 4 cords, I am with Jags. None of us are getting any younger either. Exercise is always good, but easier/faster/more efficient is good too. I also like to eliminate as many opportunities for injury as possible. Losing a couple weeks from work would take a big bite out of the money I save heating with wood. Sitting on a tractor is much easier on the body than chasing a loaded wheelbarrow down a hill.

Jags said:
TradEddie said:
but if like me you only need a cord or so each year, all within 200yds of the house, you shouldn't need anything more than a chainsaw, maul/ax/wedges and a wheelbarrow.

TE

But if your like me (and others) and typically torch off 5 cords per year - you may want to use the assistance of anything that makes the job easier/faster/more efficient. Just say'in.

Didn't I say that too? Plenty of exercise in 5 cords even if someone dumps it already split on your driveway.

Splitting and hauling wood is satisfying and about as good an all-round workout as you can get, so if you can do the work by hand in the time you have available, why not? Maybe you get enough exercise some other way, but if you're like the other 90% of the population who don't get enough exercise (me included), you're not doing yourself any favors by avoiding some effort.

TE

Me and my neighbour do 8 cords each year, 4 for me and 4 for him. Keeps me out of trouble in the winter ;)

TradEddie said:
Jags said:
TradEddie said:

TE

Didn't I say that too? Plenty of exercise in 5 cords even if someone dumps it already split on your driveway.

Splitting and hauling wood is satisfying and about as good an all-round workout as you can get, so if you can do the work by hand in the time you have available, why not? Maybe you get enough exercise some other way, but if you're like the other 90% of the population who don't get enough exercise (me included), you're not doing yourself any favors by avoiding some effort.

TE

"Whatever works for you" is my motto. Me - I like loader tractors, hydraulics and power equipment.

So can I assume that you cut your firewood with a hand saw, as well?

Jags said:
"Whatever works for you" is my motto. Me - I like loader tractors, hydraulics and power equipment.

So can I assume that you cut your firewood with a hand saw, as well?

If I could hand saw my needs each year, I probably would!
For what its worth, until the morning after my profile picture was taken, I hadn't used a chainsaw in 20 years. Every last round of that mess was split by hand, but you can see it didn't need to be carried far...

TE

TradEddie said:
If I could hand saw my needs each year, I probably would!

It was said tongue in cheek. Don't ever take anything I say too seriously. ;-P

There are folks here who DO buck everything by hand....and carry pieces on their bike a good distance! Now that's hard core!

I split about 6 cords by hand in 2011. Only gonna do about 3 this year.

Started working in the woods,part-time at 17 & been working construction full time since I was 21.Splitting manually,carrying to & loading the cart or pickup,stacking etc helps keep me in shape during the occasional slow times in my job.Owned a 20 ton splitter from 1996 to 2005,went back to manual then.I know what works for me & dont overdo,quit when I'm tired unlike when I was younger. Split 10 cord dead mostly Red/Black Oak since last May.Keeps me young & hopefully can continue until I retire in a dozen or so years.

The exercise with putting up wood is great. However, one can overdo things too. I recall all the hours I used to spend splitting wood by hand and I enjoyed it. However, time takes a toll on the body and I was a very happy man when we finally purchased a hydraulic splitter. Happier yet when I learned how to operate it right....vertically.

I'm all for excercise, but sometimes my body isn't. I wish my arm was into it as much as my brain...cuz I really like my wheelbarrow. But..whattagonnado.

Status
Not open for further replies.