Mantle requirements if stove completely in fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

2fireplacesinSC

Burning Hunk
Feb 24, 2015
mid South Carolina
I have a Jotul F3 CB and took the mantle down because it was around 4 inches too low. But as I was thinking what to do with the three holes in the brick face, I realized it's completely in the fireplace. Do I have to be concerned about clearances if it's entirely in the fire place?

Contact Jotul and see if they allow reductions with heat shields or if they have advice. Mine was nowhere near highenough so I moved it and used a big crosscut saw to cover the holes.

Thanks. I called Jotul and they referred me back to the dealer/installer. They said that was something the stove store should be able to tell me. Unfortunately the stove store wasn't 100% sure. They thought it was fine, but since the manual doesn't say, they gave me Jotul's phone number. No help. Oh well. I just don't want to have a fire hazard. Thanks for the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.