Market rates for cordwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SlyFerret

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2007
Delaware, Ohio
Hi everyone! It's been a long time since I've posted. Life got busy to say the least!

What are you all seeing as far as market rates for cordwood in your area, and where are you?

I haven't bought wood in a few years, and last time I did, it was $150/cord delivered. I was just quoted $350/cord delivered (for 3 cords). I'm in Central Ohio, for what it's worth.

At $150/cord, it was worth buying. At $350/cord, it's probably going to be worth going back to scrounging and processing it myself. 😭

-SF

im payin about 130 per cord and roughly 190 by the load my wood guy when he drops off wood it usually comes out to more than 1 and half cords of wood it was 170 last yr

Around here.. south jersey.. last November a guy was selling the last of his wood oak,cherry for 450 per cord, some of my friends are selling for 250 per cord and was split this summer. There was a place in north jersey selling kiln dried for 700 per cord. I myself have never purchased wood, Id rather do it myself ank know its correct and quality.. With the right set up it doesn't take that long to keep the stove fed

In the greater San Francisco bay area it's $325-550 per "seasoned" cord from firewood sellers. The lower prices are mixed hard and softwoods. Hardwood only is 450-550. Everything is more expensive here. I cut and burn my own so I've not bought any.

Wood prices are up since the pandemic as more people work from home and want heat during the day.

If I pick it up, I can usually get a cord for $150 here in Iowa. It just takes me a few trips. I didn’t see price increases much during the pandemic, because storm damage produced a surplus of scrounge wood.

200 and it usually is about 15-20% shy of a cord. It's barely seasoned. It will barely burn in a fireplace let alone a stove. The locals believe up to a certain level in a dump truck is a cord. Even splitting the larger pieces which is a must for me, I never get a full cord.
Last year I got pretty fed up with this guy, and started to call around and was finding prices of 250-300 for 'seasoned' and Im sure short of a cord, and many said they were out for the year.
There is a place, a large place that all they do is churn out firewood. It's all kiln dried to 17% they say, and they deliver and stack it. $750! a cord! HAHAH

I’m in southwest Ohio and last night I was looking and people are asking $150+ per Rick 😳. Can’t buy a cord because nobody knows what a “cord” of wood is🙄

Reactions: tlc1976 and Hoytman
350ish for a seasoned cord, delivered. It is never actually seasoned though. I haven't bought wood in a while (source, cut, split it all myself) but that is the going price here in MA, South of Boston. That is for a true cord, not a face cord.

Is the Rick seasoned? Still steep, if I said that term here, I would get the deer in the headlights look, What?
The seller claims it’s seasoned always but NEVER is! They usually split it a few days before delivery🤦🏻‍♂️ And say it’s been cut for a yr plus in log form so it’s dry🙄

We go by face cords here too. Usually they’re 45$ per FC in the summer, and 55-65$ per FC starting in the fall. A lot of the sellers claim it’s seasoned, but who knows if it is. Probably only 6 months seasoned in log form.

Those prices are not delivered.

Last edited:
In the central Willamette valley (in Oregon) seasoned doug fir is selling for $275 a cord and oak is $350 to $375. This is up substantially from a couple years ago. I remember doug fir going for about $180 to $190. Also, wood appears to not be as available. Suppliers are saying "supply limited". Guess many more people are heating with wood than before.

I’ve noticed a lot more people in my area with freshly delivered firewood piles in their yard than in the past years.

I’ve noticed a lot more people in my area with freshly delivered firewood piles in their yard than in the past years.

Prices on natural gas, propane and heating oil are way up. I expect many people that have never considered wood heat are giving it a good look now.

It is nice to have options, Only a few years ago we had a cold snap and propane providers couldn't keep up, n.y. imposed a order that allowed any provider to fill anyone else's tank to keep houses heated, who knows what's next

$130 a cord or $130 a face cord? If I could buy wood for $130 a cord I would never split wood again. Normally $200-$250 for a cord delivered by me.
i usually get my wood in blocks from my woodguy he usually brings it in a roughly 15 ft long trailer with a pretty deep basin in it its usually a little more than a reg ol cord and a half of firewood thats measured at 4x4x8 last year and the yr before was payin 170 per load this yr its only 190 so id say its about 130 if it were strictly a cord

$275 - $350 a cord in NNJ, reportedly seasoned but we know what that means, any fuels for heating will be up this year or until the market as a whole settles a bit.
I just bought 205gal of home heating oil at $4.45 a gal, a week later its now $4.90 a gal and going up, typically in the summer the US creates reserves of upwards 20million barrels of home heating oil, read in the paper that this year it was only around 5 million barrels this summer, so I figured the prices pretty much bottomed out and it was time to pull the trigger due to supply / demand rates increasing.
I empathetic to family's that dont have an alternative option and need to fill there tanks 3 times a season, I can only imagine the strain if we have a longer more severe winter and the 3rd fill up gets put to a 4th fill up in the season, theres going to be some hurting people that will need to make some tough decisions.
My suggestion if anyone that needs wood is to buy now, by what you can afford, scrounge for the dead stuff and split that thin, hopefully its enough for this upcoming season, when you get enough for this season, start with greener stuff for the following season, its double time or nothing at this point, unless you like paying higher prices.