Max heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
No visible smoke in the house at all when the door is opened. I’ve had draft issues in other houses and this does not seem to have a problem with draft at all.
Hmmm.. with the slightest of guess and a small chance you might be having an issue with the t stat either not set to open fully or the stone veneer installed is reflecting / pooling heat and causing the even requested fully open t stat to close partially (getting fooled thinking the stove body is hot enough) what the clearance from the back of the stove to the closest part of the stone work?

I would be double checking the fuel for the second time. Perhaps with a different moisture meter.

One other thing I should mention that may be relevant

If I turn the dial below half way the fire goes out and I’m left with unburnt logs in the morning. I’m getting good draft and even cracking a window doesn’t do anything for keeping the fire going at less then half on the thermostat
Your usable stat sweep is no surprise to me at all. Lots of BK setups only use a very small amount of what is available to keep the stove in its sweet spot. Each BK installation is a bit different relative to what portion of the stat sweep is effective. Assuming you are using the blowers?
Your place sounds above average for insulation etc? Odd deal.

What are you seeing for burn times between reloads? Are you burning 24/7?

Last edited:
I do think the Tstat can't be ruled out as of now.

Hmmm.. with the slightest of guess and a small chance you might be having an issue with the t stat either not set to open fully or the stone veneer installed is reflecting / pooling heat and causing the even requested fully open t stat to close partially (getting fooled thinking the stove body is hot enough) what the clearance from the back of the stove to the closest part of the stone work?
The clearances are about as tight as they can be according to BK. I’m not there right now to measure but it’s pretty close to the stone

I would be double checking the fuel for the second time. Perhaps with a different moisture meter.
I’m burning Doug fir that was dead and standing that I cut and split myself about 18 months ago. It’s been stored in a wood shed out of moisture. I can’t get much dryer wood at this point.

I can literally put a torch on a piece of wood and have it catch on fire and get it going hard very fast

I have complete confidence that my meter is accurate or even a little on the high side.

I’m burning Doug fir that was dead and standing that I cut and split myself about 18 months ago. It’s been stored in a wood shed out of moisture. I can’t get much dryer wood at this point.

I can literally put a torch on a piece of wood and have it catch on fire and get it going hard very fast

I have complete confidence that my meter is accurate or even a little on the high side.
Sounds like you have the wood as potential issue covered.

Reactions: Doc C
Th
Your usable stat sweep is no surprise to me at all. Lots of BK setups only use a very small amount of what is available to keep the stove in its sweet spot. Each BK installation is a bit different relative to what portion of the stat sweep is effective. Assuming you are using the blowers?
Your place sounds above average for insulation etc? Odd deal.

What are you seeing for burn times between reloads? Are you burning 24/7?
This stove did not come with a blower. I did run electrical behind the stove so I can put a blower on but the local dealer told me I can’t use a blower with the wood storage box underneath??

I have not verified is that is correct or not.

Yes, burning 24/7

With it wide open I’m getting less then 4 hours per load and realistically probably closer to 3 hours

I fill the stove at night about 9pm all the way as full as I can, let the load catch good, then shut it down to just a hair over where it stalls at…this gets me until about 3am of heat and about 5-6am of coals that are easy to relight

The house will drop down to close to 60 degrees over that period of time

First thing in the morning I turn my furnace on and get the house to 68 while I get the stove back up to temp and then I turn the furnace off and let the stove work for the day

A31D9D45-4AFB-4163-B77F-4C47D9ECD923.jpeg

This pic was taken just now…I have literally had my stove running full go all day since I have been here all day

FDF73C3A-0718-4F4C-8DA8-237CCECCDA7F.png

Less than 4 hrs and not even 70 F means you're wasting heat up the flue.

Is your bypass closing properly? Assuming your gaskets are indeed good as you said, this is t next thing to check imo.

A flue probe would have told you if this is the case.

Something is seriously off here.

Reactions: Diabel
Less than 4 hrs and not even 70 F means you're wasting heat up the flue.

Is your bypass closing properly? Assuming your gaskets are indeed good as you said, this is t next thing to check imo.

A flue probe would have told you if this is the case.

Something is seriously off here.
I have to order a probe. I can’t get one in town

How do I know if the bypass is closing right?

It feels like it’s engaging and the cat glows red all the way across it

Dollar bill test when the stove is cold is the only way imo.

Something seems way off here.

Full load of seasoned wood.
Bypass closed
Cat glowing

And you blow through this full load in 4h! And your 1500 sqft house is at 65 after a full day of burning. Is your attic hatch closed (joke).

Something seems way off here.

Full load of seasoned wood.
Bypass closed
Cat glowing

And you blow through this full load in 4h! And your 1500 sqft house is at 65 after a full day of burning. Is your attic hatch closed (joke).
Lol. Yes it’s closed…my wife and I have been racking our brains today about the cause could be with the house but we just can’t figure it out.

We have literally been walking around off and on all day trying to find air leaks and we just can’t find anything.

local dealer told me I can’t use a blower with the wood storage box underneath
Unreal. To say the least it would behoove you to politely ask your dealer to verify his blower statement. Also have him bring a setup out and install them. The stove is designed to use them. All BK's transfer heat much, much more efficiently so equipped.

If required, I can send you pics of a 24 with blowers. And under stove storage.

Wow, this cold snap is really hitting your area hard. What altitude are you at?

At 11º it could be the stove has insufficient BTUs to keep up with the house's heat loss. Doug fir is a good fuel. At 4 hrs a load it sounds like the thermostat is as open as it can be.

Is there a primary heating system in the house? if so, I would use that to supplement. How much insulation does the house have in the walls, and in the ceiling?

Insulation was noted before And seems to be quite good.

Lol. Yes it’s closed…my wife and I have been racking our brains today about the cause could be with the house but we just can’t figure it out.

We have literally been walking around off and on all day trying to find air leaks and we just can’t find anything.
Without the stove running, how is the furnace handling keeping the house warm?

Reactions: stoveliker
Without the stove running, how is the furnace handling keeping the house warm?
No problem at all. Takes it from 60 to 68 in about 30 minutes or so and can keep it there no problem without running much

Reactions: begreen and Diabel
Wow, this cold snap is really hitting your area hard. What altitude are you at?

At 11º it could be the stove has insufficient BTUs to keep up with the house's heat loss. Is there a primary heating system in the house? if so, I would use that to supplement.

How much insulation does the house have in the walls, and in the ceiling?
I am around 4000 feet at my house. My cabin is about 6200’ and I’m just about snowed out of the cabin. Maybe 1 more week of being able to get up there without tracks.

Co
Unreal. To say the least it would behoove you to politely ask your dealer to verify his blower statement. Also have him bring a setup out and install them. The stove is designed to use them. All BK's transfer heat much, much more efficiently so equipped.

If required, I can send you pics of a 24 with blowers. And under stove storage.
Could you please so I can see if the dealer has one in stock that I can use

Soon enough @BKVP will come across this thread and provide comments/options for you. Hang in there.

So, no flames when the Tstat is set at its lowest setting, that suggests the gaskets are fine and no air is leaking in.

Well insulated home, and furnace keeps it up easily, so BTU output needed is not crazy. Still stove room hard to reach 70 F, and 4 hrs burn time with that.

Wood is dry.

Bypass not closing is my biggest guess.

Can you see smoke out if the chimney when you have no flames?

So, no flames when the Tstat is set at its lowest setting, that suggests the gaskets are fine and no air is leaking in.

Well insulated home, and furnace keeps it up easily, so BTU output needed is not crazy. Still stove room hard to reach 70 F, and 4 hrs burn time with that.

Wood is dry.

Bypass not closing is my biggest guess.

Can you see smoke out if the chimney when you have no flames?
No smoke at all coming out the chimney most of the time. About the only time I see smoke is at start up

Even no smoke when you snuff the primary flames out?