Max heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The house thermostat is about half way across the house from the stove. Right now it’s at 67

The stove room is 72 right now.

The master bedroom is 64 right now

I don’t snuff the fire out unless it’s on accident when I’m going to bed so I don’t look at it.
Even no smoke when you snuff the fire out?

Even no smoke when you snuff the primary flames out?
No. It’s burning clean when I shut the stove down enough for the flames to go away.

Reactions: stoveliker
I think it would be good to try at daytime once. Close the thermostat until no flames are visible, wait 5 minutes and look outside.

This will tell us whether there is a major issue going on with the bypass.

The house thermostat is about half way across the house from the stove. Right now it’s at 67

The stove room is 72 right now.

The master bedroom is 64 right now
Thanks for all the data. I am reviewing the thread and catching up. This new info sounds more like it. It sounds like a heat distribution issue combined with some window heat loss from the new window and the french doors. They are probably below R=3 and large areas. If you want to experiment, hang a blanket over them. Or tack some plastic film over both of them temporarily.

The stove's stack height is important because of the altitude. At 17or so ft. it should be just adequate.

Do you know what the furnace size is for input or output btus?

Can you post a sketch of the floor plan including the stove location and where the fans are placed?

Last question, is the furnace blower normally off and not being used to recirculate the heat?

Reactions: Ashful
Something is definitely amiss here….everything’s fine with the stove and the wood yet nothings working?

This will tell us whether there is a major issue going on with the bypass.
Good point. If the bypass gasket has failed or is missing that would contribute to the issue.
Just to eliminate assumptions - the bypass is being closed, correct?

Heat distribution when burning down a full 24 firebox in 4 hrs would render the stove room in the high 80s.

Windows did not seem excessive to me?

He says the bypass does feel like it cams over.

Thanks for all the data. I am reviewing the thread and catching up. This new info sounds more like it. It sounds like a heat distribution issue combined with some window heat loss from the new window and the french doors. They are probably below R=3 and large areas. If you want to experiment, hang a blanket over them. Or tack some plastic film over both of them temporarily.

The stove's stack height is important because of the altitude. At 17or so ft. it should be just adequate.

Do you know what the furnace size is for input or output btus?

Can you post a sketch of the floor plan including the stove location and where the fans are placed?

Last question, is the furnace blower normally off and not being used to recirculate the heat?
I would agree with it being a heat distribution issue except the living room where the stove is does not get a whole lot hotter then half way across the house where the thermostat is

I have tried the furnace blower both off and on several times and it seems to work better with it off. When I turn the blower on it actually drops the temp a little bit in the house and takes longer to get the temp back up

I dont know the furnace size other then it is a brand new furnace installed in February and it was sized for an 1800SF house in case we added on

Good point. If the bypass gasket has failed or is missing that would contribute to the issue.
Just to eliminate assumptions - the bypass is being closed, correct?
Yes sir, bypass is closed. It has a little catch to it if you close it slowly. You have to close it a little faster then the other BKs I have had but it does feel like it closes proper and the Cat lights up and glows red all the way across jt

Heat distribution when burning down a full 24 firebox in 4 hrs would render the stove room in the high 80s.

Windows did not seem excessive to me?

He says the bypass does feel like it cams over.
Oh for sure it never get into the 80s…ever. I start to get uncomfortable about 74 and I prefer it closer to 70 when I’m awake. I’ve never been uncomfortable in the stove room.

F7557E3D-54D9-44BE-9C89-0A5091C73DDA.jpeg

I would agree with it being a heat distribution issue except the living room where the stove is does not get a whole lot hotter then half way across the house where the thermostat is
This can be an attribute of good insulation or the heat loss due to the large window and french doors.
I have tried the furnace blower both off and on several times and it seems to work better with it off. When I turn the blower on it actually drops the temp a little bit in the house and takes longer to get the temp back up
That is as expected, especially if the ductwork is uninsulated and traveling through a cold space. Where is the furnace, first floor or in a basement?

I think I’m just going to conclude that this stove is not big enough to heat this house in this cold of weather.

I think I’m just going to conclude that this stove is not big enough to heat this house in this cold of weather.
How high is the ceiling in the great room

Isn’t the boxer just an insert on a freestanding base? If so, it’s completely shrouded and needs that blower. It’s a small firebox too.

A thermostatic bk on max setting is not the same as a different brand stove on full throttle. The bk thermostat will close the intake at least partially as the firebox heats up. But yes, highest efficiency is at lower burn rates.

I would not stop at this time, as you are able to burn down a full load in 4 hrs. That is faster than I ever heard, even for a BK insert with a smaller firebox than your boxer.

If you're getting 2 cu ft of pine in there, and I assume a low of 15 million BTUs per cord, that would be 234,000 BTUs put into the stove.
Assuming an efficiency of 70 pct, that is giving you 164,000 BTUs. If you get that out in 4 hrs, you're getting 41,000 BTUs per hour.

If that does not heat your room (!) well I to the 80s you have an open window...

I have heated my 1700 sqft home on one 30 firebox of pine for 8 hrs in stormy 20 F weather. And that is with the stove in an additional 825 sqft basement,.i.e 2500 sqft (but the 500 or so sq ft on the second floor are at a colder 64 F then). The basement is near 87 F during that time and the 1200 sqft main floor at 71 or so.

I just have a hard time to understand that your home would be less well insulated than my 1978 home with high efficiency windows (and one poorly insulated cantilevered bay) and R57 attic but poor (original) walls.

If the ceiling in the other rooms is lower than 8 ft (I doubt it), I'd switch on a ceiling fan in the great room.

Isn’t the boxer just an insert on a freestanding base? If so, it’s completely shrouded and needs that blower. It’s a small firebox too.
It's a 2.4 cu ft box, if I remember correctly.

Is it more shielded than the Chinook?

I would not stop at this time, as you are able to burn down a full load in 4 hrs. That is faster than I ever heard, even for a BK insert with a smaller firebox than your boxer.

If you're getting 2 cu ft of pine in there, and I assume a low of 15 million BTUs per cord, that would be 234,000 BTUs put into the stove.
Assuming an efficiency of 70 pct, that is giving you 164,000 BTUs. If you get that out in 4 hrs, you're getting 41,000 BTUs per hour.

If that does not heat your room (!) well I to the 80s you have an open window...

I have heated my 1700 sqft home on one 30 firebox of pine for 8 hrs in stormy 20 F weather. And that is with the stove in an additional 825 sqft basement,.i.e 2500 sqft (but the 500 or so sq ft on the second floor are at a colder 64 F then). The basement is near 87 F during that time and the 1200 sqft main floor at 71 or so.

I just have a hard time to understand that your home would be less well insulated than my 1978 home with high efficiency windows (and one poorly insulated cantilevered bay) and R57 attic but poor (original) walls.

If the ceiling in the other rooms is lower than 8 ft (I doubt it), I'd switch on a ceiling fan in the great room.
All ceilings are 8’

I think I’m dispersing the heat very well and it’s just not able to put out enough heat to keep the whole house warm.

I only have 1 ceiling fan and it’s in the master bedroom.

I have a wall Mount fan that points down and away from the stove room and that fan is just about at the ceiling.

I’m sure if I turned off the fans abd let the heat stay in the stove room it would get incredibly hot in there