Resolved Melted the Pellet Bag on the glass! Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
the wife stories are hilarious. one day i get home from work and theres a trail of pellets from the garage, down the walkway, into the house. she decided she was going to "help" me and take in some pellets. good hearted gesture, but one of the bags had a hole in it and she didnt notice. i didnt say anything until she told me it was hard at first but wasnt so heavy after she got in the house! ha!

another time she tried to fill the stove like i do. she ripped open the top of the bag and was going to dump them in the hopper. she lost grip and the whole bag fell in the hopper and she couldnt get it out without my assistance. luckily she knew to shut the stove until i got home.

no burnt plastic yet, but we did have a molten candle incident. very hard to clean and the stove was scented for months.

Reactions: smoke show
Great wife stories... My wife decided to help me and try to clean the stove one day. When I was finishing it, I noticed scrape marks on the inside of the firebox. She said I knew you scraped something, So I...No more stove cleaning for her!!

How bout brother stories?
He and I installed the stove in 2005. The only thing he knows
how to do is dump pellets in and he can't even do that without
getting them all over the flippin floor. I do all the maintenance,
including replacing parts as needed.

Reactions: Harmanizer
Yes, she does fill the stove once in awhile, but I usually try to stop her because she always ends up breaking something.

Wife ~ 5, Pellet stove 0

Things she's messed up on the stove:
  • Aforementioned melted pellet bag.
  • Bent hopper lid. No idea how that happened, wisely decided not to ask.
  • Bent damper rod ~ see above.
  • Put a wax candle on the stove. I admit, I did lose my temper on this one. Took me forever to clean up.
  • Dropped a full 40 lbs bag of pellets on the living room floor. I'm still finding them to this day. Why she didn't use the 4 full coal hods I have is a mystery.
No offense to the women on this forum, but my wife is like Godzilla when it comes to that stove. Nothing but a trail of carnage.

be careful what you wish for, Lousyweather!

WAIT a MINNUT! She dropped a 40 lb bag of pellets and YOU are still finding them?! No longer my hero if you have to do the housework........

How bout brother stories?
He and I installed the stove in 2005. The only thing he knows
how to do is dump pellets in and he can't even do that without
getting them all over the flippin floor. I do all the maintenance,
including replacing parts as needed.
sure Xena, but you are that rare gem!

WAIT a MINNUT! She dropped a 40 lb bag of pellets and YOU are still finding them?! No longer my hero if you have to do the housework........

By finding them, I mean stepping on them with my bare feet. We all know that exquisite feeling.

brother stories are great too. i installed my brothers englander pdv 25. calls me after a 4 tons says flame is lazy, sooty wont stay lit. he says he shop vac'd the whole inside, vent and all. i go over there thinking bad combustion blower. i open the door, looks clean. as im takin off the impingment plate i hear him utter "oh sh*t that comes out?"
it was 100% packed solid with ash. we still have a good laugh about it.

same brother who one day im helping him put together his new microwave cart. we get to the last thing. it says "push in 4 casters into bottom of cart" then finished. i see him looking uneasy, then he finally says "dammit" i say whats wrong..... he says its missing pieces! theres no casters, all we have are these 4 wheels left!
hahaha. hes smart as a whip and does all my business accounting but bob the builder he is *not*

I'm hoping I'm not the only one who has been stupid enough to do this....

Last night I was filling up the stove and the pellet bag hit the glass, and then melted onto the glass. I manager to get most of it off but there is still plastic (from the bag) plastered to the outside glass. I've tried a razor and water and can't get it all off the glass.

Does anyone have suggestions. I assume I can't use Goo Gone because it is flamable.

I did the exact same thing this morning. But I guess I was lucky. I let it cool completely and then used a single edged razor to scrape it off. Took all of 5 seconds and left no trace of it having been there. I would suggest to anyone that has had this "accident" to try that first before buying all of the products I read about when this happened. At least in my case it would have been a complete waste of money. To say I was relieved was a HUGE understatement!

the wife stories are hilarious. one day i get home from work and theres a trail of pellets from the garage, down the walkway, into the house. she decided she was going to "help" me and take in some pellets. good hearted gesture, but one of the bags had a hole in it and she didnt notice. i didnt say anything until she told me it was hard at first but wasnt so heavy after she got in the house! ha!

another time she tried to fill the stove like i do. she ripped open the top of the bag and was going to dump them in the hopper. she lost grip and the whole bag fell in the hopper and she couldnt get it out without my assistance. luckily she knew to shut the stove until i got home.

no burnt plastic yet, but we did have a molten candle incident. very hard to clean and the stove was scented for months.
Women are so much smarter than men. Act totally incompetent about something you don't want to do, make the man feel superior, and he will take care of it from then on.

I've tried to turn the tables a time or two, and they saw right through it. That's when I knew we were totally outmatched, and that the world will be a better place when women are totally in charge. As muscle gets increasingly less important, it's just a matter of time. Don't believe me, just check out college enrollment stats.

Don't fret though, we'll still be in charge of the wood heat chores.

So tell me, where did I go wrong?... I'm in charge of the wood heat chores ;lol;lol
Don't get me wrong, Lake Girl, I grew up in a home where Mom was definitely in charge, from initiating the stove purchase, placement, and installation, as well as the ongoing feeding. She only outsourced the chainsaw work and splitting to Dad, and he outsourced it to me as early as they felt comfortable with it, I believe I was about 12. I later added chimney sweep to the list.

Over 30 years later, I'm still taking care of those chores for them (in addition to my own addiction), and if there is a fire started, it's Mom, 100% of the time. Dad, as always, just turns up the thermostat if left to it.

That said, Mom, like you Lake Girl, is a rare gem. ;-)

Reactions: Lake Girl