Mini split help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rudy1

Sep 9, 2017
central pa
Currently got a quote for a 2 zone Fujitsu heat pump. 18000btu with 12000 head in living room and 6000 in a bedroom for $4000. Not really interested in the heating aspect as I have a oil boiler for so to speak back up heat that does my domestic hot water. Use electric water heater during summer months to mid fall till I turn boiler on so heat pump would only be worthwhile for very short period. Heat my ranch house with blaze king princess insert and for what I used it so far a can fire it on low with 2days of 60 degree day temps. His price don't seem bad vs others same warranty. Looking for operating cost vs a window air conditioner is it worth it or not really.keep trying to find info but I'm curious to hear from people who have mini split heat pump how much of a difference in operating cost does it seem to make in cooling only. Little late in the season but I'm still batting the idea around for next year not sure of the deer rating of the mini split probably about 20 my window AC I don't know without looking

Last edited by a moderator:
Many love them and as I speak I have a system of four heads 36000 BTU, 3 ton waiting for the install possibly in the next two weeks.
I paid including the installation kit of 35' line sets, cables, drain line, disconnect box, some adapters and many other things, a little under $4200.
It is a Blueridge brand. It has real good reviews.
I purchased the hyper heat pump that goes -22df. Never will be here that cold.
I don't know about how much is going to cost running it but I need a back up system. I am just using wood stoves ( two princess ).
I am installing it I can say, on one half of the house and in the future I will do the other half with another identical system. Not planning on use it much, but never know.

Attachments

• IMG_20190911_061934.jpg
    IMG_20190911_061934.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
Reactions: Highbeam
Minispits are far superior to window shakers. The window units inevitably introduce a lot of infiltration into the room and a lot more noise.Minisplits are usually more efficient for heating in shoulder season then any other type of heating. I use mine on fall and spring days to take the chill off the house when I know it will warm up later. I generate more solar than I use so I carry a surplus and use the surplus to heat the house down to about 30 deg F if its a sunny day.

I think in that scenario I would ensure they are cold climate mini splits ( do you have the model numbers of the components?), and leave my oil off all the time. Or at least until the very coldest of winter days when they are pushing the bottom of their spec range. Not sure where you are or climate or your heat load. Lots of factors here we dont know.

Like you, I bought a mini-split primarily for the "air conditioning", however it's so quiet and efficient that I end up using it for shoulder-season heat instead of small/infrequent wood fires.

All I can say is mine is doing great down 26 degrees outside temps for the last 2 days thru the night with no problems.

Reactions: moresnow