Mink in Chicken coop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

simple.serf

Feeling the Heat
Dec 7, 2011
Sherman, NY
As some of you may know, my wife and I run a small farm. We had about 40 chickens with plans to get that number to about 100 for this season. Well, last night I had what I think is a mink get into my barn and kill 13 birds. Haven't had this issue before. There is a drainage ditch next to the barn that runs from my pond to a creek, there were tracks from the ditch going to a newly dug hole that comes up in the main coop. The foundation is crushed concrete and gravel, so it is fairly easy to dig under. My plan was to put wire cloth along the outside wall, tacking part of it to the wall and tacking the other side down with a board and tapcons into the concrete.

I am going to try getting a friend over here with some traps tonight as well.

any other ideas?

My friend had a weasel get in his coop. He then sealed it up tight and the next morning another dead chicken. He double checked all the mesh and went to bed the next night. Next morning another dead chicken. He heard a ruckus that evening and saw the weasel go down a knothole. The weasel had found a hiding spot but couldn't get out of the coop. The weasel soon there after suffered lead poisoning.

Unfortunately the mink is gonna return only to find (or make) another weak spot in your defense system. If relocation is an option, I would choose that (dunno why, but I have a soft spot for weasels). They are a very efficient predator.

Mink and weasels are very efficient predators. Trapping is the best way that I know to get rid of them. I'd set 110s on each end of the hole and 1.5s where you see well used trails. If you see them shooting them is effective also, but they are pretty good at not being seen when they don't want to be seen.

Fishers are becoming plentiful in central NY. Nephew lost several chickens to one last year

If they get through tonight, I can put them out in the outdoor coop. It is supposed to warm up tomorrow, and I may be able to move it with the tractor.

I'm going to go out there a few more times tonight to check on them.

We have had some layers and in the spring time we raise 25-50 meat birds each year. We keep a radio playing in the barn 24-7 and we have never had a problem with varmints. We never close up the barn either, the only deterant is the 4 ft high 2x4 fencing where the layers roam.

Lost two more. I found the entrance where it had gotten in this time and plugged it. Spent quite a bit of time looking for an entrance. I don't trust the crappy radio that I have out there to not burn down the barn, but I am going to bring a newer radio that is electrically worthy out right now.

Reactions: Swedishchef
I think your on the right track. I don't have nearly as many chickens as you, but when I see a sign that something is trying to get into their run, I reinforce that area.

My chickens hate me, I can see it in their eyes.

Reactions: Swedishchef
Everybody who was in there last night survived, and there were lots of new tracks in the snow this morning. Radio seemed to help. My trapper is able to come out this evening and set some traps.

Post pics of the scoundrels inside out and stretched on a board that killed your chickens, after you capture them of course.

FIXT

Status
Not open for further replies.