Misinformed Wood Burning Article.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

isipwater

Feeling the Heat
Jun 6, 2013
Southeastn, AZ
I came across a uninformed article about burning firewood today.

Here is the link if you wnat to read it:

http://www.treehugger.com/energy-efficiency/how-use-wood-stove-without-burning-down-house.html

Here is the response that I wrote back to the author in the comments section:

"Hello Mr. Alter,

Here are 5 reasons why burning firewood is VERY green.

1) Burning firewood can actually REDUCE a person's carbon footprint.

Many people only burn firewood that is from trees downed in storms and trees that are dead/dying.

***Please note:*** When a tree dies and rots, it releases all of its stored carbon back into the atmosphere. You can let the tree rot and use MORE oil and gas for heat or you can use that wood for heat and use LESS oil and gas.

2) Firewood is renewable.

There is NO limit on the amount of trees that can be replanted after harvesting. Also, trees mostly re-populate themselves without human intervention via seeds.

3) Firewood does NOT contribute to war.

Unlike oil, firewood decreases our dependence on fossil fuels which DECREASES war, death and violence.

4) Firewood accidents do NOT destroy the environment.

Ever heard of a "firewood spill?" Harvesting firewood can't destroy our oceans and cutting down trees does NOT ruin drinking water like fracking for natural gas.

5) Firewood is local.

Unlike oil and gas that must be transported across the country and/or world, most people source firewood close to where they live.

SAFETY
When was the last time you heard of a whole neighborhood exploding due to firewood, like natural gas can do? Also, firewood will not spring a leak and contaminate your basement or your garden soil like heating oil can.

AIR QUALITY
Modern EPA certified stoves only have a small amount of smoke at the start of a fire. Then there is no visible smoke from the chimney because the wood smoke gets burned up from either a catalytic combustor or secondary burning tubes.

CONCLUSION
Please enjoy a nice cozy fire in a modern stove or fireplace inset. You will be helping the environment, reducing your heating bills, and getting good exercise from chopping and/or carrying firewood."

A lot of the reply's are very uniformed if you ask me. Most if not all have no understanding of what green and carbon neutral is. These are people who would heat their home with NG and complain that we need to find new sources of gas.

Reactions: isipwater
isipwater,
I didn't really find the author to be "misinformed". He seemed merely to be relating some really good advice about burning dry wood and managing hot ashes from Building Green founder Alex Wilson. He also talked about trends in wood burning around the country.

His only even remotely negative remark about woodburning is below and and I don't find it that misinformed.
"I still wonder, between the particulates and the carbon released all at once that had been sequestered in another era, and the chopping down of living trees that are still socking the stuff away, If burning wood really is green"

I do very much like your response to the article.

Last edited:
the article wasn't completely terrible, but the comment section below was a madhouse. some guy was quoting studies as if they were current listing "uncertified" woodstoves. the studies were done in 1990 just prior to the phase 2 startup in july of 91, heck ive read a couple of those studies. what wasn't posted was the difference made by phase 2 in the amount of particulate reduction over the last 20 plus years of certified stove replacement of the pre cert stoves

some goofball doctor even suggested that we pay for the installation of NG furnaces in homes of those who cant afford them (my question is when is he going to pony up for a nationwide NG grid to deliver it and then pay for the differential in cost to the homeowner to offset the increased cost of paying for the gas bill?) his argument about it centers around other peoples rights like smoking on airplanes, wonder if he takes the ruining of groundwater from fracking and the rights of those homeowners who lose their wells as a result? I doubt it as he's probably drinking bottled water anyway

the industry is working very hard on getting PM numbers down, we have to now the new standards are coming to light as I type this and wow, gonna be hard , but I assume it can be done.

Reactions: isipwater
Status
Not open for further replies.