Mitsubishi Heat pump quote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodspliter

Burning Hunk
Jan 25, 2020
Maine
So I finally got a install date for my heat pumps! After extensive research I decided to go with mitsubishi hyper heat they just can out with a new fs model that is supposed to be even better the the fh I guess. I'm getting thre
e single units for better efficient and it was actually CHEAPER than to buy one multi zone and a single! I'm going with a 6k in the bedroom and 15k In my living room and a 12k for my basement. I think I got a smoking deal 10,900 installed including electrical work with a 12 year warranty and they're going to evacuate and remove my existing mini split that isn't a cold weather uint

So I finally got a install date for my heat pumps! After extensive research I decided to go with mitsubishi hyper heat they just can out with a new fs model that is supposed to be even better the the fh I guess. I'm getting thre
e single units for better efficient and it was actually CHEAPER than to buy one multi zone and a single! I'm going with a 6k in the bedroom and 15k In my living room and a 12k for my basement. I think I got a smoking deal 10,900 installed including electrical work with a 12 year warranty and they're going to evacuate and remove my existing mini split that isn't a cold weather uint

Did you get the rebate on them from Efficiency Maine? I remember reading last year they were increasing it to $1k per ton.

Yeah for maine it's based on hspf of the unit it's a two tier program with the maximum rebate of 1500 dollars. To get the 1000 on the first unit it has to be a single zone over 12.5 hspf and samenwith the second to get the 500

It makes a lot of sense to have a heat pump in Maine and Its nice that the state is offering great incentives. The electric grid there is 80% renewable. I remember reading they actually export a good chunk of power to other states as they have a healthy surplus of excess generation. Using this excess local clean power to offset heating oil makes a ton of sense.

Some interesting facts on Maines power grid according to the EIA.

Nearly two-thirds of Maine households use fuel oil as their primary energy source for home heating, a larger share than any other state.

In 2019, 80% of Maine's electricity net generation came from renewable energy resources, and hydroelectric power provided the largest share at 31%.

Maine leads New England in wind-powered generation and ranks sixth in the nation in the share of its electricity generated from wind. In 2019, wind provided about 24% of Maine's in-state net generation.

Biomass supplies one-fourth of Maine’s net generation, the largest share of any state, and most of the biomass Maine uses for electricity generation is wood and wood waste-derived fuels.

Last Updated: July 16, 2020

Last edited:
Reactions: sloeffle
That is great, I knew we did have a pretty good diverse power grid happy to do my part to help the environment! It makes me wonder really why so many people oppose the clean energy corridor. I do like to use the northern maine woods to Atv riding it is beautiful country up there. I may be opposed to have power lines in my back yard but I believe that it is the oil and coal that is putting up the fight to stop it.

We only have wood as our main heat source as of right now so having a system that can heat for pretty much year around cleanly and efficiently is going to be really awesome! I love the wood heat but it seems almost foolish to do it full time when you can heat with one of these heat pumps so inexpensively. Maine is very dependent on oil heat I almost went that route but decided against it. After I installed a new heat pump water heat that is super efficient and a little Help from this forum actually.

Wood heat and mini-splits is a great combo. Deal sounds decent? Hard to compare apples across borders though. Our 2 cold climate Daikins cost us about 8k, Canadian, all in and installed, a couple years ago. I know there might be cheaper ways to go, buying cheaper units and doing some or most of the work yourself - but I just don't have the time or inclination anymore for projects, and our installer is A1 for after the project service/warranty stuff, if ever needed.

With the rebate it will end being 9400 hundred and that includes all the electrical work and removing one existing system I think I did very well. We got the quote same day and book for three weeks from now.

With the rebate it will end being 9400 hundred and that includes all the electrical work and removing one existing system I think I did very well. We got the quote same day and book for three weeks from now.

That is a great price. I think there are alot of installers in Maine so the pricing might be lower. Its also probably much cheaper to have a business there then say here in CT. Mini splits prices are still really high here.

Efficiency Maine claims they have installed 60,000 heat pumps so far. Maine has a law or legislation to hit 100k by 2025 so the demand is only going to grow. That usually means more installers and better pricing with competition.

Which Mitsubishi models did you get? Have any model numbers? I can look up the cold weather performance for you on the cold climate New England NEEP list.

That would be great I tried to navigate that site but I found it to be pretty tricky.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20210227-135437_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    SmartSelect_20210227-135437_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 209
That would be great I tried to navigate that site but I found it to be pretty tricky.

Here are your 3 units on the neep site. They all have really good performance even at 5 degrees. If you look at the maximum capacity tables you will see that they can actually put out way more than they are rated. That 6k unit can lower all the way down to only 640 btus. That's an impressive capacity range.

That's awesome Brian I appreciate that a lot! I know there's more efficient equipment put there but from what I've heard the mitsubishi's are pretty reliable. I guess time will tell! I post some install pictures when they're installed

Reactions: maple1
I bought mine last year mainly for AC, but ran my bigger one ( can remember size)all winter and it kept a 24 x24 open area at 70 even those couple night when we hit 8 below. Quite impressed, might get a couple more this year.

Great news, the guy that gave me quote said the 15k will do the whole upstairs of my 1100 sq ranch and just said that they recommend having some source of back up

Last edited:
So I finally got ......
Woodsplitter you got a good deal.

For $14,200, I had my buddy install two 24K mini-splits Fujitsu - AOU24RLXFZH compressors with two 12k for living-dining rooms, for three bedrooms two 9K, and one 7K. Simaler system from other contractors were quoted at $16,500 and $20,000. Months later I got a $7,600 rebate check from Central Hudson Power. With rebate I could not pass this deal up :):):) In summer we now have awesome AC with low humidity throughout the house at a ridiculous low energy cost.

How bad are these for DIY install? Thinking about getting some portable AC units for summer time, but two mini splits would be nice. I haven't read the Maine rebate small print in a while, does it cover DIY install?

Edit: Also curious as to how to size the unit(s). Our house is a small well insulated saltbox and our primary heat is a 32kbtu peak rated wood stove.

How bad are these for DIY install? Thinking about getting some portable AC units for summer time, but two mini splits would be nice. I haven't read the Maine rebate small print in a while, does it cover DIY install?
The fine print is the manufaturing waranty would probably be voided for DIY install. I watched them do the install which did not seem that difficult. IMO Charging the lines with refrigerant and checking for leaks requires a professional with professional equipment My 7k in one of the bedrooms had a leak, which they found and fixed. Oh yeah the Central Hudson Power rebate is only possible if installed by one of Central Hudson approved installers that has to submit special heat lost report.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Efficiency maine requires professional installation to qualify for the rebate. I was thinking of self install but I figured it wasn't worth it. You get a 12 warranty if a diamond mitsubishi installs them. It was worth having them sized correctly, I would have installed a 18k btus in the living room and basement and at an efficiency standpoint its not as good as the 15k and 12k. For some reason the smaller output the more efficient.

I'd love to hear more about this 'FS' model. I just got quoted for an FH18 but am wondering if I should be asking for the FS. Do you happen to know what's different about it?

I'd love to hear more about this 'FS' model. I just got quoted for an FH18 but am wondering if I should be asking for the FS. Do you happen to know what's different about it?

The difference looks to be the FS is more efficient and has better cold weather capacity. It would probably make sense for you in VT. The FH series is only rated to -4 I believe.

• H2i plus performance offers 100% heating capacity at -5 degrees and 70% to 81% heating capacity at -13 degrees F

Efficiency maine requires professional installation to qualify for the rebate. I was thinking of self install but I figured it wasn't worth it. You get a 12 warranty if a diamond mitsubishi installs them. It was worth having them sized correctly, I would have installed a 18k btus in the living room and basement and at an efficiency standpoint its not as good as the 15k and 12k. For some reason the smaller output the more efficient.

My info is starting to get dated since I havent had access to AC techs like I used to. In the past the techs I talked to universally commented that the repairs they saw were non warranty. Their claim was with the name brands that they either worked out of the box or they didn't. They rarely actually fixed them, they just swapped them out as they are not designed to be serviceable beyond basic cleaning. The biggest issue by far was physical abuse of the outside unit. They are very compact and hitting them does not bode well. I heard stories of snowplow damage by snowplows pushing snow into them, basket balls hitting them and folks tugging on refrigerant lines. None of them are covered.

The other issue is pet hair. Cats apparently like to climb on top of them when they are not running and owners on occasion remove the filters when they are plugged and dont put them back in. The internal coils have very fine pitch and once they start to plug the performance goes way down and defrost cycles take longer. They have internal drip tray that can can fill up with fine dust and scum that can plug causing water to drip out of the case under the unit. There are You Tube videos on spraying the internal coil to clean it and cleaning the tray and the blower wheel. The other issue in Maine is fine blowing snow filling the outdoor unit or someone inadvertently aiming a snowblower discharge at it (been there done that). I am a big advocate of putting an elevated slant roof over the unit with overhangs. Some applications where blowing snow may be an issue will install optional snow shields that keep the snow out of the unit while allowing air flow.

Last edited:
The difference looks to be the FS is more efficient and has better cold weather capacity. It would probably make sense for you in VT. The FH series is only rated to -4 I believe.

• H2i plus performance offers 100% heating capacity at -5 degrees and 70% to 81% heating capacity at -13 degrees F

Very weird, I could've sworn that the sales rep told me it would go down to -13 (MUZ-FH18NA2).

I just found this, it appears to be the "FS deluxe wall mount" which has a coating on the internal components that resists dust and needs less cleaning? That sounds appealing:

Here's a question: if one planned to only use the heat pump about 30 degrees (outside) and up... is it worth paying more for the -13 series or should one settle for a -5 or 5 degree unit? I would heat with wood below 30 degrees so it doesn't make much sense to me to pay extra for the ultra low temp models.

I'd Go with the low temp, for a extra initial investment and the life span of the heat 20 years you may have changed your mind about things

Here's a question: if one planned to only use the heat pump about 30 degrees (outside) and up... is it worth paying more for the -13 series or should one settle for a -5 or 5 degree unit? I would heat with wood below 30 degrees so it doesn't make much sense to me to pay extra for the ultra low temp models.
My issue with wood heat is: who manages it when I'm gone?
No,... not dead,..... gone as in a long weekend away, or any winter vacation?
I see your avatar has a pellet stove, and that's a good 24 hr operating window, but to me wood heat has always been supplemental.
I'd get the lowest outdoor temp operating unit for that reason alone.