Moisture Meter/ How do I get 4 prongs 5 mm into a piece of oak???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leftyscott

Apr 6, 2009
arkansas
Just bought one of the $20 versions.

I've come to the conclusion that it is not humanly possible to get 4 prongs 5mm into a piece of oak.

Solutions: 1) split wood first and get a reading at just below the surface. This should work, right?

2) drill 4 small holes for the prongs to penetrate to the needed depth. Not sure if the heat associated with drilling would alter the readings.

Anybody have any other suggestions?

Thanks again!

leftyscott said:
Just bought one of the $20 versions.

I've come to the conclusion that it is not humanly possible to get 4 prongs 5mm into a piece of oak.

Solutions: 1) split wood first and get a reading at just below the surface. This should work, right?

2) drill 4 small holes for the prongs to penetrate to the needed depth. Not sure if the heat associated with drilling would alter the readings.

Anybody have any other suggestions?

Thanks again!

Split it and press it hard it will give you your reading.

If you can, it would be best to take it back and get a two prong model... The four prong units are mostly intended for finished lumber, and it can be problematic to get the needed good contact w/ all 4 prongs at the same time. The two prong units work easier because both prongs will contact, and you can push two prongs into the split easier than one...

The two prong jobs are supposedly a bit less accurate, but they are fine for use with firewood.

Gooserider

Some of the multi-hundred dollar models have the pins mounted on a slide hammer (like a dent puller) to drive them in. Some of those probes get driven in a lot more than 5mm.

The guys who get paid to use these things all day figured out how to push them in, eh?

Where is the best place to get a cheap 2-prong version?

Woodsman_WI said:
Where is the best place to get a cheap 2-prong version?

Probably E-bay or Harbor Freight.

Gooserider

I got one at HF last week. I think it was $13.95 or so. I know it was under 20 bucks.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.