More On Woodstock's New Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin

Attachments

• More On Woodstock's New Stove
    Fireview & Designer Model sm.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 937
    Side view new_fv.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 906
OOoohhh...I'm like'in what I'm see'in. I didn't go to the blog, but does it reference a size?

Strike that - I went to the blog. No info on size, but did you see the masonry heater below it. COOL beans, man.

Todd said:
It looks huge compared to the Fireview!

http://woodstocksoapstoneco.blogspot.com/

I wonder why they made the legs taller? It would be about the same height with the Fireview legs attached. I'm a little disappointed as it does not seem much larger than the fireview. The depth of the stove is not much different. The width seems to allow for longer splits, though.

BrowningBAR said:
Todd said:
It looks huge compared to the Fireview!

http://woodstocksoapstoneco.blogspot.com/

I wonder why they made the legs taller? It would be about the same height with the Fireview legs attached. I'm a little disappointed as it does not seem much larger than the fireview. The depth of the stove is not much different. The width seems to allow for longer splits, though.

"As you may notice, the body of the new stove is currently resting on the base of a Keystone/Palladian stove to give it the correct approximate height. "
-Ah. But, I guess this also means it will still have taller legs.

BrowningBAR said:
I wonder why they made the legs taller?

In the blog it states that those are not the legs that will go with it. It was the base off of another stove just for comparison.

Edit: you went to the blog. :lol:

It will have two options, one with legs and ash pan and a plinth base without legs or ash pan for lower fireplace clearances.

Attachments

front corner with plinth.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 858
Todd said:
It will have two options, one with legs and ash pan and a plinth base without legs or ash pan for lower fireplace clearances.

With the plinth base it will not have an ashpan correct? Thanks for the pics Todd!
I like the new arch on the front door.

Todd said:

If they would remove the ashpan on the Keystone and give it the Fireview legs I would be able to buy one. But, noooooooooo..... :p

BrowningBAR said:
Todd said:

If they would remove the ashpan on the Keystone and give it the Fireview legs I would be able to buy one. But, noooooooooo..... :p

What would be the difference between the short legs and the base? Just wondering.

VCBurner said:
BrowningBAR said:
Todd said:

What would be the difference between the short legs and the base? Just wondering.

The legs appear to be about 5"-6" tall. Not sure what your question is though. Do you mean on the Keystone of the new stove?

I wonder if the longer legs is one of those things necessary for minimizing hearth pad requirements. From my point of view I don't mind them being longer - I think it would be easier to sweep up the dust that seems to gather under there.

Now that masonry heater really looks interesting. I'll be interested to learn how much heat it puts out and if one would have to brace the floor if not installed on the ground floor :)

This new stove sounds really killer, I remember reading this blog a few months ago and thinking, MAN, this thing is sweet!!

Every time I see it again it amazes me and with the new developments on the aesthetic end it is even better. This company is a model of what others should be and they deserve to prosper for years to come. Congrats Woodstock! And anyone who buys their stoves.
Here's a piece of the blog from August 2010:

"For all of you who have been patiently waiting for news, any news, about the planned addition to our line of soapstone stoves, we are excited to bring you some early information about what’s been going on in our R & D lab! And for any of you who haven’t heard, we’ve been working long and hard designing a new stove that is worthy of our already stellar lineup. Many of the features in the design were added as a direct response to feedback we’ve received from customers, and we’ve added a few twists of our own. Our primary requirements for a new stove have been:

(1) A higher maximum heat output
(2) A very broad range of outputs and fuel conditions
(3) Very efficient
(4) Very clean
(5) Not simply to meet EPA mandates, but to far exceed them, at the highest and lowest burn rates

We aren't quite ready to show an illustration of the larger stove, but we can say that it will be approximately 32"H x 30"W x 22"D. The design plan is for the same 8-sided configuration as the Fireview, but with a decidedly more contemporary look for the castings. The firebox will be almost 50% bigger than the Fireview.

The inside design is completely different from what we have done before as a result of one of our primary goals: MAXIMIZE efficiency and MINIMIZE emissions.

The new stove is truly a "hybrid" in the sense that it has a fully developed "secondary" burn plan and a catalytic combustor. Why both?

Non-catalytic designs tend not to work very well
(1) with wet wood,
(2) for very long burns at LOW firing rates,
(3) with inexperienced operators (i.e. those who don't get the secondaries lit after a cold start or after re-fueling), or
(4) over a very broad range of operating conditions. They are not so good at low burns, very effective at moderate burns, and reasonably effective (to a point) at high burns.

The hybrid has a greater range of output, greater efficiency, and is cleaner. Plus it cleans up carbon monoxide, methane and other combustion by-products - not things we are being graded on by the EPA (yet) but things that matter because they INCREASE efficiency and DECREASE pollution, which we do care about.

One thing we like about secondary burning is the view of the secondary flames. A lot of secondary combustion (non-cat) stoves have tubes under the top of the firebox, or secondary combustion in an insulated rear chamber (see illustrations 1 & 2). The problem with these designs is that you can't SEE the secondary combustion very well, if at all. In "tube-type" designs, you have to almost scrape your nose on the floor, and in "rear-chamber" designs, the secondary combustion is largely hidden in an insulated box in the rear of the stove.

Many non-cat stoves use secondary air tubes
directly under the stovetop, making it difficult to view.

This is too bad, because the "secondary" event is just as much fun to watch as the "primary" event. Watching the secondary gasses burning is as mesmerizing as watching the wood "burn". So we have located the secondary combustion air outlet across a fireback sloped to make the secondary activity as visible as possible to the stove owner!

Other non-cat stoves use a hidden rear
chamber for secondary combustion.

We've lost a lot of man-hours here at the shop
while employees stand staring at the firebox
of our new stove during test burns.It's quite a show!

Please check back with us from time to time. We will add new information as we move along in our development of the new stove and other product improvements as they happen.
Labels: New Stove Posted by Woodstock Soapstone Co. at 8/26/2010 04:13:00 PM"

It sounds like they are having a lot of fun over there. Kind of like the early days of the VC plant. Too bad more companies aren't like this. Happy employees= better production. If everyone feel like they matter then the product they put out matters to them. It becomes more than a job, but a part of each employee is put into the products.

Great job Woodstock!!

BrowningBAR said:
VCBurner said:
BrowningBAR said:
Todd said:

The legs appear to be about 5"-6" tall. Not sure what your question is though. Do you mean on the Keystone of the new stove?

The new stove. I get it now. It took me a while :-S You want the Fireview legs on the Keystone! I agree, having short leg options are a plus. I have the 2" legs on my Dutchwest. I replaced the 6" legs to be able to exhaust it into a short firplace. I needed 26.5" and, JUST ABOUT got it with the shorties.

VCBurner said:
The firebox will be almost 50% bigger than the Fireview.

So it looks like it will be ~3.0 cuft.

Jags said:
VCBurner said:
The firebox will be almost 50% bigger than the Fireview.

So it looks like it will be ~3.0 cuft.

I was wondering about that? As well as other test specs!

Nice and pretty, yes, but how are this stove's install clearances, specifically the back to wall? Any better than their other stoves? That's been a gripe of mine with Woodstock. My Castine is close rear clearance, which I need. I don't want my stove out in the middle of the living room to meet rear clearance requirements....course, that's just me and what I want/need.

But man, she is beautiful.

I just got out an envelope and printed "New Woodstock Stove" in bold letters on the front. I put a $20 bill in it and put it on my computer stand. More twenties to follow.

I'm so glad I waited. :)

Glad I waited too! I especially like the revised/curved front glass treatment outlined on their website...and, yes, I like the female portrait/cameo on the front as well. Could be interesting if they replaced her with the mythical "Green man" of the woods?

BrowningBAR said:
Todd said:

Maybe they can custom build one for you? I know they can reduce the rear clearance a couple inches.

BrowningBAR said:
Todd said:
BrowningBAR said:
I know they can reduce the rear clearance a couple inches.

Really?

Let me reword that. They can reduce the rear exhaust collar height a couple inches. I'm pretty sure I read it or heard it from someone there.

Todd said:
BrowningBAR said:

Let me reword that. They can reduce the rear exhaust collar height a couple inches. I'm pretty sure I read it or heard it from someone there.

Oh. [insert the most appropriate smiley for disappointed. This? :-/ Maybe this? :-S I don't know... :blank: :long: :sick: ]

BrowningBAR said:
Todd said:
BrowningBAR said:

Oh. [insert the most appropriate smiley for disappointed. This? :-/ Maybe this? :-S I don't know... :blank: :long: :sick: ]

So, why won't it work? Can a mason work some magic?

Todd said:
BrowningBAR said:
Todd said:
BrowningBAR said:

So, why won't it work? Can a mason work some magic?

I was interested in the clearance reduction in general. The Keystone would only work if I can shorten the height of it by four inches. If I were to buy any stove in the future it would be two large Woodstock stoves or two Defiants for the long burn times and heating capacity. The negative temps over here the last week sucked. I was able to heat the house just fine, but the reload times blew. Way too much work.

Hey, I just noticed something.... If you look at the open house/mortgage burning ceremony, at 2:02 on the video you can see my big belly sticking out of the right side of the frame.

I'm famous! Or at least all the Sierra Nevada that went into the making of that belly is famous. :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.