Mosquitoes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

marty319

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2014
Belair mb
Winter and spring like no other and now cannot go out unless you have a bath in deet.i have a propane fogger but can't buy the juice for it anymore here.ticks are bad as well.hows things in your area?

Mosquitos are fairly bad here. Not like what they were once when we were up by Swan River MB. I spray my lawn with a sprayer and Bifen XTS sometime. That helps quite a bit. I don’t know if you can get that up there, though.

Reactions: marty319
I recently tried Picaridin as an alternative to DEET. It seems to work as well with less chemical odor and it does not damage plastic (although the 3M Ultrathon DEET product I use is far less agressive on plastic). The one tradeoff is avoid applying it anywhere near the eyes as if it gets in there it takes 24 hours for them to stop burning.

The most pesky bug we get is the fruitfly when we have lots of harvested fruit in the house. There are no mosquitoes, no see-ums, black flies, etc.

I love where we live. No mosquitoes, no see-ums, black flies, etc. The most pesky bug we get is the fruitfly when we have lots of harvested fruit in the house.
Lol I wish I had only fruitflys,a bowl full of aple cider vinegar and problem solved

Lol I wish I had only fruitflys,a bowl full of aple cider vinegar and problem solved
Yes, I have fruit fly traps that get most of them. At times I have 6 or 7 of them set out along with a couple yellow sticky cards.

I spray my lawn with a sprayer and Bifen XTS sometime. That helps quite a bit.

Just did that this morning. I use Talstar P though, which is the same as Bifen I/T. May try Bifen XTS next, as it's oil based. Ran 20 gallons of solution through my backpack mister all around outside. I do it every summer, 2 or three times. This was the first time this summer though. I normally try to get out there soon after the trees leaf out. I need some foliage so when I mist 20' up it has something to settle on.

We use cedar oil to treat for ticks and mosquitos. It works as well as pyrethroid products and is much safer. We apply it with a Stihl SR 200. This will work for lawns too.

Reactions: begreen
Mosquitoes are just starting to show up here, nothing significant yet. I was on a jobsite (a local church) and the ticks were everywhere. They seemed to be drawn to the lumber? Crawling all over it. They all appeared to be female dog ticks, the deer tick isn't as common here luckily.

Ticks climb vegetation that hangs over trails so they can easily get onto animals passing by. My guess is the lumber was stacked higher than the surrounding grass, etc.

Reactions: PaulOinMA
Ticks climb vegetation that hangs over trails so they can easily get onto animals passing by. My guess is the lumber was stacked higher than the surrounding grass, etc.
It was a combination of variants was my guess. I had never encountered such a mass of ticks so quickly......the cement pad had been poured a week ahead of me showing up, the sand fill around the pad had been dumped only a few days prior to my first work day. As soon as I started laying the 2x4 plates on the pad the ticks started showing up. Within a hour I would estimate there was at least 25 ticks on the small amount of lumber I had laid down for the plates to do the stud layout. I had never encountered such a large amount of ticks. My assumption was that they had been drawn to the freshly placed sand from the long grass nearby, then became more active with me walking around....? I was surprised by the amount, a helper that was on scene was completely freaked out..... As the project proceeded the number of ticks present seemed to dwindle. Some ticks did manage to climb to the top (8') of the wood siding, where they too met the smooth end of a estwing... :) 20220615_160043.jpg20220615_155921.jpg20220615_160114.jpg

Sandy areas tend to have more ticks, termites too. Im not sure why ticks prefer the sandy places.

We use cedar oil to treat for ticks and mosquitos. It works as well as pyrethroid products and is much safer. We apply it with a Stihl SR 200. This will work for lawns too.
Considering paying for a treatment or doing it myself. We have a wooded acre lot with neighbors on each side with the same. Would I see any results treating just my lot? It gets bad and the city will spray but I’ve not ever noticed much difference after they do.

Mosquitos? Yes, but understand that there are 2 populations that you’re finding in your back yard. Those that live on your land, and those that fly in. It’s easy to treat the ones on your property. The ones that fly in from places you can’t treat, that’s hard, lol.

A backpack rig like mentioned above will make quick work on grassy areas and shrubs. It’s important to be folding those leaves up while treating. They want shady, damp areas. A hand sprayer would be difficult. The wooded lot part might be difficult since that means different things to different people. If it’s trees with grass under, no problem. Dense underbrush? Harder, but if you have access to enough of it you can get it. If it’s woods and has 6” of leaves on the ground that’d be impossible. There are too many places to hide. Trees themselves aren’t an issue since the wind keeps the upper leaves pretty dry.

Reactions: EbS-P
I've exhausted my search looking for fogging solution here in canada .I have a friend going stateside shortly to grand forks ND and possibly Minneapolis. What can she pick up for my propane fogger as mosquitoes are unbearable at times here.

20220704_081353.jpg

The mosquitoes here were not really significant until the last two weeks, each of which had one heavy rain. The humidity is down today, but the larger biting flies (deer flies, etc.) are out in force when it's dry. We can't seem to win this summer. I put some fly paper up in the alpaca shacka in the hopes it would cut down their numbers some. I'll be putting some in the chicken coop along with a bug light this evening. I put the bug light in there every year, it's near impossible to keep the bugs out of the coop. My chickens don't mind the "fast food" but it gets a bit excessive.

Reactions: begreen and EbS-P
My chickens don't mind the "fast food" but it gets a bit excessive.
On a positive note, lots of bugs are a healthy protein supply for birds.

I've exhausted my search looking for fogging solution here in canada .I have a friend going stateside shortly to grand forks ND and possibly Minneapolis. What can she pick up for my propane fogger as mosquitoes are unbearable at times here.

View attachment 296751
X2 is labeled for powered applicators. Commercial is not. But always read labels to be sure.

This is what we use. It does a great job and is not harmful if applied incorrectly. Make sure to flush equipment after use as it can react to stainless steel. Any “green” product can gum up equipment if not flushed after use.

I’m not sure if it’s offered in Canada.

Look at the bright side. You could be dealing with lake flies off of Lake Erie.

Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 10.00.17 AM.png

Well we get those fish flies as well but not that bad lol

I just got the cheapest new backpack fogger/mister on on eBay. 60 cc. Leaving town for a while but will report back on how it runs. Just couldn’t justify a name brand.

I use Bifen IT in a handheld sprayer (2 gallon), which connects to something called mosquito sniper, which is hooked up to my backpack leaf blower. I already had the backpack leaf blower, and for 40 ish dollars this turns your backpack blower into a fogger when you want it to. Works very well. Only downside is that you have to carry the 2 gal sprayer around in addition to having the blower on your back, but it works for me.

The only otherdownside is you're wearing a fine mist of Bifen IT afterwords. It is a neurotoxin. Biden IT and other pyrethroids have controlled access in many states. Please be careful.

Reactions: SpaceBus
The only otherdownside is you're wearing a fine mist of Bifen IT afterwords. It is a neurotoxin. Biden IT and other pyrethroids have controlled access in many states. Please be careful.
Yes I always wear a respirator with the right filter, and coveralls, even if it's 100 degrees outside. And I take a shower afterwards. But you're right, people need to be careful

Another downside is that it's an equal opportunity killer, knocking off a lot of beneficial insects along with the temporary removal of the mosquitos.

Reactions: SpaceBus