Most favorite least favorite?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

efoyt

Sep 18, 2008
Maine
My least favorite wood to burn is poplar, hate it. Has to be perfectly dried and it still doesn’t burn well. I do still burn it though.

My favorite is cedar, even though I only use it as kindling. Love the popping.

I'd have to say sugar maple is my favorite with red oak a close second. I agree with poplar being one of my least favorites.

Hedge on both accounts. It has thorns, it is heavy,it is crooked, has thorns, won't fall down when cut, stumble on apples, has thorns. Burns like Promethean indigestion, Splits well,free, it's all I got.

Rex i have about a cord of split cedar, enough kindling to last me forever

favorite is oak. Splits so easily and great heat.

Sumac is my least favorite and I've got some poplar that I've yet to burn.

ohio woodburner said:
Rex i have about a cord of split cedar, enough kindling to last me forever

I think I would melt my stove if i had all that cedar!

I hate sumac more then poplar, didn't think to use it since I won't burn it anymore,

Favorite is bitternut hickory or sugar maple
Least is boxelder

Rex said:
My least favorite wood to burn is poplar, hate it. Has to be perfectly dried and it still doesn’t burn well. I do still burn it though.

My favorite is cedar, even though I only use it as kindling. Love the popping.

Vanessa needs you to keep burning poplar.
:)
I hate burning asbestos wood. asbestos I can.

I love cherry and a good piece of ash or beech makes my mouth water.

I have fewer choices than you Southern boys. For hardwoods there's mostly Birch, Ash, Elm, Aspen, and Poplar in order of BTU.
Birch is nice to burn if well seasoned but the bark is a PITA, I don't care for the smell, and hate the slivers I get from handling it.
Ash is a dream to split, smells nice, burns well, and no slivers.
Elm is a groan to split, lousy to stack, often stinks, but still burns better than Aspen/Poplar.
Aspen and Poplar stinks terrible if less than ideally seasoned, makes too much fine ashes, and has fewer BTUs. It doesn't smell very good in storage either and if they are diseased, can downright stink up the entire house.

Of the species in this area, Siberian Elm is my least favorite and pinon pine is my favorite. There are no hardwoods here, unless you count the occasional scrub oak...

Least favorite around here for me would probably be Spruce, I don't go out of my way to get it but, if one comes down on my land I'll cut it up for shoulder season.

Favorite for me would be Beech, a lot of Hard Maple around here too...hard to choose between the two.

I love birch, ash, and cherry. Very dry wood which you can burn with not too much seasoning time. Elm however can season for years and still hiss when you throw it in the stove. Sadly, I've never had good experience with it.

Favorite wood when I'm looking for some real heat: Ash (because I have access to lots of it and I like the seasoning property -- next year or the year after however I'll be trying some red oak for the first time . . . another favorite of mine is sugar maple (for good heat) . . . cherry (I liked the color, smell and seasoning properties) . . . and apple (for the smell and BTUs)

Favorite wood for visual appeal: Cedar (because it catches quickly and pops and snaps . . . and smells good to boot -- wonderful for kindling) . . . although pine and spruce are fun to toss in the fire when I'm looking for more "action" than long lasting heat.

Least favorite wood: Unseasoned wood . . . but if I had to pick a species it would probably be poplar . . . I'll burn it and believe that any wood is good wood . . . but it seems that this wood burns quickly, leaves few coals and when I cut it down it often has rot and/or ants. A good wood however for burning in the shoulder season or for getting the fire up and running.

1 maple
2 cherry
3 white birch
4 aspen
5 boxelder

i burn alot of aspen and boxelder this year because they are so plentiful, i can get a lot of wood with minimal effort. problem with them is they dont burn for that long.

#1 - Hickory
#2 - Oak
#3 - Osage (as long as I can mix it with #1 or 2)

Least - anything that stays green all year long.

Jags said:
#1 - Hickory
#2 - Oak

What is Osage??

Rex said:
Jags said:
#1 - Hickory
#2 - Oak

What is Osage??

Osage Orange. Some call it hedge, iron wood, etc. But those names are thrown around for alot of different woods. Osage is the tree that has male/female and the female drops the big monkey brain apples (commonly referred to as Hedge apples). The wood could ruin a ball peen hammer.

Attachments

• 250px-Maclura_pomifera2.jpg
    250px-Maclura_pomifera2.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 507
Favorite - Red oak. Splits if you just hold the maul near it.

Least fav - Elm. Does not split.

Favorite - locust.

Least favorite on the menu for this year - walnut. leaves too much ash considering the low heat output

Fav- hard Maple, oak apple and white birch.
Least- Elm, although I just scrounged a truck load for free.

favorite - oak- shagbark hickory - sugar maple
least favorite - quaking aspen -any pine tree -cottonwood

Status
Not open for further replies.