Moving stove-worried about a broken leg-and some rambling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenny chaos

Minister of Fire
Apr 10, 2008
Rochester,ny
I bought a used Lopi Liberty this past spring to replace the old Riteway and it's time to bring it in. When we moved it out, we tipped her on her side (I think it's a "her") and I thought sure the legs might snap off. Just too darn heavy to pick up properly. I gotta bring her in on her side again and looking for some tips on standing her upright. Maybe the legs will be fine?

(Thanks guys for your help in the past. I'm getting real excited about getting the new girl going and I don't get too excited about anything anymore. Bought twenty facecord and final measure was twenty-six which brought the price down to $52/facecord or $156/cord. I always paid with new crisp bills and complimented the guy heavily. He brought four loads of five facecords and each load was bigger. Maybe it was an accident or maybe the crisp cash helped. He's a very busy guy and quit taking new orders the first part of August!)

If you are standing it on it's side so that it will ride on a handtruck or dolly, maybe you can add blocking, underneath it instead. The blocking should be just a little taller than the legs.

I think you're wise to be worried about that. Frankly, I'm surprised the legs didn't fail the first time you did it. I wouldn't even try to "scoot" our Liberty on the brick hearth 3/8" sideways to line up the stovepipe better...we bit the bullet and lifted it...because of the same concern about sideways loading on the legs. Why do you have to tip it on its side? Rick

Block the dolly's shelf up so that the stove is just off the legs. Use a ratchet strap or two to bind the stove to the dolly. Then it will be easy to move. I've moved a few stoves this way, no problems so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.