Mt Vernon not igniting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Greg Omagh

Oct 1, 2012
Central Mass
I have read a number of threads posted here over the years, but I can't seem to find one that matches my issue.

The stove igniter stopped working and, since I always carry a few spares, I replaced it. It still didn't work, so I did continuity and resistance tests and all passed.

I checked power at head of of the igniter and it was dead. The input just below was fine 120vac. The stove works fine when I manually start it.

I put a call in for service but they are weeks out (Central Mass here). Starting with the gel is a b///h.

Would appreciate it if anyone knows what the issue might be, or are we on new control board territory?

Define exact areas you are referring to, that do and don't have power. kap

Define exact areas you are referring to, that do and don't have power. kap

The connector on the control board that the igniter harness plugs into has no power. The stove functions when the pellets are manually ignited.

Is the power cord connection, from the power supply brown, instead of white? The power cord eventually goes bad, and needs to be replaced when it starts turning brown. There is a fuse on the backside of the control board. kap

I have looked carefully at the wires and do not see any discoloration. Pic below.

Regarding the fuse, the place I bought from and who installed it said they "thought" that fuse would take down the whole stove. So I was left unsure about that.

20221122_153221578_iOS.jpg

Power harness looks good yet. This stove runs everything on dc power, except, the igniter. It is 120v ac. There are separate fuses for each. kap

I got a service date of December 27th. I would like to try to solve this myself. I assume the only way to replace that fuse to remove the whole board? It looks a like a squeeze in there.

Yes. You have to unplug all wires and remove board to get at fuse. Be careful as wires are delicate, as is connections. They do make a wire harness with inline fuses now, to avoid that issue. kap

Worst design I have ever seen putting a fuse on the backside that requires board removal. Especially on an insert.....

Yep. Why i recommend the inline fuse harness, kap

I have two inline fuses on the igniter harness. Are you saying there's an option to get a harness from the power to the board with a fuse? Do we short the board fuse in that case, or hope the harness one pops first?

Thanks for your help, kap. I've ordered the fuses. We'll see if I can't make the situation any worse.

PS For anyone reading this later in the same situation. I gave up on the igniter gel and went for the butane torch. The igniter gel is a bit hit and miss.

No. I was talking about the igniter harness. They should of blown before the one on the back of the control board. kap

Hmmm. Well they didn't in my case. Now I am thinking I'll wait for the service call. My issue could be something else.

That's not to say, the fuse didn't blow on back of control board. If there is no power past control board, it points to that fuse. kap