My Fireview is finally here!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Had to share this picture my wife took today after she got the fire going all by herself.

View attachment 84849
Absolutely beautiful picture Matt! I have many shots like that myself, they love the fire man!! When my fire burns down and it starts to get cool in the house my dogs look at me like "Light the fire will you!" As soon as I get it going they fight for the spot in front of the stove....

Reactions: mattjm1017
Can you imagine what you'd be missing if you bought some other brand of stove? It's almost like these stoves are too good to be true
What? Dennis hasn't 'liked' this post yet? ;lol
Something else I love about the old school design of the Fireview,,, it cleans it's own glass;lol.. I haven't touch the glass yet,,,amazing!
Still need to hit it every few weeks to keep ash from etching the glass...Now there's something that's harder to do than on a lot of stoves. And then there's the dinky glass problem... :p Still, I'm loving this stove
I was really babying mine until I got the IR gun; Now I can shoot through the glass and get temps inside the stove. Temps aren't excessive so I'm now comfortable with loosening the leash a bit. Around 525 has been the highest it's been so far, but I'm ready if it ever gets truly cold...
Beautiful stove. Kind of victorian looking.
It's a Medieval weapon of war, like a mace, for doing battle with Old Man Winter. >>

What? Dennis hasn't 'liked' this post yet? ;lol
Still need to hit it every few weeks to keep ash from etching the glass...Now there's something that's harder to do than on a lot of stoves. And then there's the dinky glass problem... :p Still, I'm loving this stove
I was really babying mine until I got the IR gun; Now I can shoot through the glass and get temps inside the stove. Temps aren't excessive so I'm now comfortable with loosening the leash a bit. Around 525 has been the highest it's been so far, but I'm ready if it ever gets truly cold...
It's a Medieval weapon of war, like a mace, for doing battle with Old Man Winter. >>
I wasn't aware that the ash would etch the glass. That's the highest I've had my stove , 525,,, at that temp that baby is throwing out some serious heat...QuadraFire 5700 I had would get the room to 72,,, the Fireview has had it up to 79 plenty of times, not even going over the 525 mark.... People thought the Quad was going to out heat the fireview,, because the fireview having a smaller fire box,,, not so,,, thing with the stone,, doesn't matter if it's wood or coals the thing is always pumping out the heat.. What's really nice is if you happen to have a bunch of soft wood,,, your still good to go as all that quick heat is being stored into the stones, not pumped out through the steel and immediately lost. " I'm a stoner and liking it;lol"

I wasn't aware that the ash would etch the glass.
That's what I've heard but no first-hand experience, so I'm not really sure how often it needs to be done. I just un-bolt the andirons, pull the plate and wipe it down with 50/50 vinegar and water whenever I see ash building up on the glass...usually every few weeks.
Stone on, my man. ==c

That's what I've heard but no first-hand experience, so I'm not really sure how often it needs to be done. I just un-bolt the andirons, pull the plate and wipe it down with 50/50 vinegar and water whenever I see ash building up on the glass...usually every few weeks.
Stone on, my man. ==c
Have to get a shirt that says " I get my heat from a stone!;lol " Good Woodstock saying, Ah?

Reactions: mattjm1017
Alright so its been a week with pretty regular burning going on and I couldn't be happier. This morning I took a mirror to look behind the stove and up the chimney just for to see whats happening. I found a streak of black running down the stone from the corner of the air control lever. It wasn't running really or moving just there. I cant touch it to see if its wet cause its hot bit I think I'm going to let it go out to check it out more. Any ideas what it could be? Ill try to get a pic up but I'm doing this on my phone as the computer is broken don't know if I can do it.

I wasn't aware that the ash would etch the glass. That's the highest I've had my stove , 525,,, at that temp that baby is throwing out some serious heat...QuadraFire 5700 I had would get the room to 72,,, the Fireview has had it up to 79 plenty of times, not even going over the 525 mark.... People thought the Quad was going to out heat the fireview,, because the fireview having a smaller fire box,,, not so,,, thing with the stone,, doesn't matter if it's wood or coals the thing is always pumping out the heat.. What's really nice is if you happen to have a bunch of soft wood,,, your still good to go as all that quick heat is being stored into the stones, not pumped out through the steel and immediately lost. " I'm a stoner and liking it;lol"

I had a good feeling you would be warmer with the smaller Fireview. I think it has a lot to do with radiant vs convection stoves. I'm a strong believer in radiant stoves, the heat just feels so much better to me and you still get the natural convection without having the double walled convection construction. Radiant heat also warms objects in the room which in turn produce more heat. Cat + stone + radiant = great heater!

Figured it out heres a pic.
IMG_20121216_092515.jpg

I had a good feeling you would be warmer with the smaller Fireview. I think it has a lot to do with radiant vs convection stoves. I'm a strong believer in radiant stoves, the heat just feels so much better to me and you still get the natural convection without having the double walled convection construction. Radiant heat also warms objects in the room which in turn produce more heat. Cat + stone + radiant = great heater!
Todd,
Hands down much warmer,,, plus I haven't even had to hammer the heat on. Woodstock said I could open the draft up to the number 2 setting on the draft with the cat engaged,,,,, wow... I never needed more then 1.. Less wood, smaller box,,, that says efficiency to me. Stone,,heating one house at a time;)

Figured it out heres a pic.
View attachment 85232
Looks like you need a total rebuild;).... I'd wipe it and just see if it continues... bet it was from your break in cooler fires.. Probably has sealed itself with ash. I'd just check it down the road... Woodstock always answers their phone,,, I'm sure they'll give you a heads up.. I'm amazed for a small company that someone has "always" answered the phone...

Reactions: dylskee
Looks like you need a total rebuild;).... I'd wipe it and just see if it continues... bet it was from your break in cooler fires.. Probably has sealed itself with ash. I'd just check it down the road... Woodstock always answers their phone,,, I'm sure they'll give you a heads up.. I'm amazed for a small company that someone has "always" answered the phone...

charly is right, when I was doing my breakin fires I could hear the cement bubbling and lots of air moving from the joints. It's solid and air tight now so all is good. I would bet that was an overflow of cement, clean it off and see if it returns.

Reactions: charly
Great statement, switching from steel to stone myself, the radiant heat with my basement install is a huge difference, the cat side of the hybrid is way cool also, the stone seems to just keep heating forever !

Great statement, switching from steel to stone myself, the radiant heat with my basement install is a huge difference, the cat side of the hybrid is way cool also, the stone seems to just keep heating forever !
Yes I agree,,,, the stone just supplies endless heat , even with just a coal bed.. I'll always own stone;).. It makes me feel like I waste no part of the burning process,,, at each stage heat is always being stored into the stone.

Reactions: Todd 2
Woodstock always answers their phone. . .I'm amazed for a small company that someone has "always" answered the phone. . .
I was on the phone with them once, and I heard another line ringing in the background. They had just about taken care of my issue, so I offered to "let them go and get the other call." They said,"No, that's okay; someone will answer it. There are six(6!) of us here on the phones. What else can I help you with?":eek:

Yes, the service is amazing. It's a priority to them, and they allocate the resources necessary to make it happen. These aren't the cheapest stoves on the market, but the value can easily be seen from pretty much any/every angle. Design, materials, build quality, performance, service. . . :)

Reactions: dylskee
I found a streak of black running down the stone from the corner of the air control lever. It wasn't running really or moving just there. I cant touch it to see if its wet cause its hot bit I think I'm going to let it go out to check it out more. Any ideas what it could be?
Has it been raining there? Any way a little water could have run down the outside or inside of the liner to the flue collar?

I was on the phone with them once, and I heard another line ringing in the background. They had just about taken care of my issue, so I offered to "let them go and get the other call." They said,"No, that's okay; someone will answer it. There are six(6!) of us here on the phones. What else can I help you with?":eek:

Yes, the service is amazing. It's a priority to them, and they allocate the resources necessary to make it happen. These aren't the cheapest stoves on the market, but the value can easily be seen from pretty much any/every angle. Design, materials, build quality, performance, service. . . :)
Yep,,, the Rolls Royces of the stove world in my eye's, still hand built one at a time;)

I'm going to wipe it off and keep an eye on it. Yes it has been raining maybe thats it but I'm not sure how it could have run down the chimney to the stone. Ill agree the customer service with Woodstock is amazing. Ive called them a couple times so far and cant complain at all. Ill email the picture to them thanks for the email address hollow hill. I was telling my wife this morning how great it is that the fire is out and just coals but still putting out heat the all steel insert I grew up with would be cold by now ours is still at 200*

I'm going to wipe it off and keep an eye on it. Yes it has been raining maybe thats it but I'm not sure how it could have run down the chimney to the stone. Ill agree the customer service with Woodstock is amazing. Ive called them a couple times so far and cant complain at all. Ill email the picture to them thanks for the email address hollow hill. I was telling my wife this morning how great it is that the fire is out and just coals but still putting out heat the all steel insert I grew up with would be cold by now ours is still at 200*
It's like you never arrive at the stove too late,, it's always just sitting there heating away. Oh how nice! You know the best part,,, I don't feel like a slave to the stove, I can set it and not worry about it,, time after time after time! Even burning all my silver maple,, sure it doesn't last as long as oak, but,,, I'm still not running to the stove because I'm out of heat, not at all... I'm impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.