my first scrounge..pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
got my first scrounge...guy up the road has this in his yard...said i could have it..i posted a topic here before i got it to see what kind of wood it was...everyone seemed to think elm..but im not so sure.it split fairly easy....now its split take a look at it...by the way 4 trips in the trunk of my cobalt car.

here it before split
2011-08-22120059-1.gif

the stump it came off of
2011-08-31191109.gif

split up
2011-08-31195036.gif

2011-08-31195047.gif

and the end result
2011-08-31195020.gif

good score, as far as typoe I will go out on a limb and say its the kind that burns. Sorry I can't be more specific than that.

Shawn

nice job putting that in the trunk of your cobalt. thats awesome. whatever works to get the wood home.

Looks nice and dry, should burn nicely, I have no idea what it is either.

Red oak would be my guess,I would be careful of the poison ivy on the stump....... nice score though ;-)

Hiram Maxim said:
I would be careful of the poison ivy....... nice score though ;-)

God, I hate that stuff. This is the first year in five years that I didn't get a good patch on me somewhere. I'm slow, but I learn.

Looks like an old silver maple to me.

I am also going to go with Maple. It is easy to split without much coloration. The bark is a little different than what I am used to but I have Red Maple around me.

I think it looks like poplar. Definitely not a hard wood like oak. Is it relatively light? Silver maple is possible based on the bark...but split it looks like poplar to me.
Burns great (albeit fast) so long as you keep it dry.

I think it looks like poplar. Definitely not a hard wood like oak. Is it relatively light? Silver maple is possible based on the bark...but split it looks like poplar to me.
Burns great (albeit fast) so long as you keep it dry.

I dunno, to me it looks like Black Locust. The bark in the second pic looks like black locust and the stuff with the bark off looks like the bark has been gone a long time and it still looks solid. I have seen black locust that had the bark off for years and it looked like that. Poplar rots fast, I don't think it is Poplar.

peterc38 said:
I dunno, to me it looks like Black Locust. The bark in the second pic looks like black locust and the stuff with the bark off looks like the bark has been gone a long time and it still looks solid. I have seen black locust that had the bark off for years and it looked like that. Poplar rots fast, I don't think it is Poplar.

Your right, that bark does look like black locust, I didnt pick up on that the first time. What a score that is if its BL.

Bark looks like American elm to me - take a small piece of bark from the truck and break it in half. The cross-section will have alternating bands of light and dark ('vanilla and chocolate') if it is American elm. Cheers!

Just a guess . . . looks like elm . . . possibly maple . . . but more like well seasoned and dead elm.

Be careful burning those pieces that had poison ivy on it.....stuff will still be harmful when burnt.

It looks like elm to me EXCEPT for the lack of stringiness in the splits. If elm splits easy and isn't stringy once seasoned, then you've got yourself a very nice score there.

That there be a big, old, dead silver maple. Easy to split, drys out to be a lightweight fuel and does a heck of a good job when full btu ain't needed.

Nice scrounge with the car! I've done similar before. Every bit helps. My 2 cents: bark looks like Elm, split wood looks like soft maple. With it being long dead I'd trust the look of the wood more than the bark.

I'd say the vine is poison oak as the leaves are too jagged looking. In either case it is certainly something to avoid contact with. Never burn the stuff in an open fire as that is still a way to get it. If the wood is dry and heavy it is dense wood and loaded with btu's. Regardless of the type it looks like it has aged well and will serve it's purpose and it would be nice to have a couple of cords of that just waiting to be used.

from the picture it looks like a poison ivy tree. Careful of that. After further review i would say elm

Status
Not open for further replies.