My latest score.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ggans

Oct 11, 2009
Michigan
I got this load of fresh Pine, I don't know what kind. There about 20 to 24 inches long. I would like to use it for next February or March. Could I if I split it soon? What if I left it this way and split it next year for 2011 / 2012, will it be ok or start to rot? What would you do? Sorry I have no experience with Pine..

Attachments

• IMG_4066.jpg
    IMG_4066.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 457
  • IMG_4067.jpg
    IMG_4067.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 446
  • IMG_4068.jpg
    IMG_4068.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 438
ggans said:
I got this load of fresh Pine, I don't know what kind. There about 20 to 24 inches long. I would like to use it for next February or March. Could I if I split it soon? What if I left it this way and split it next year for 2011 / 2012, will it be ok or start to rot? What would you do? Sorry I have no experience with Pine..

You Have Been Buzy!

It wouldnt likely rot that fast but the sooner you split it the sooner it will dry out. I'd think if you split it now and stacked it so it got sun and wind you'd be good, maybe not perfect but good for Feb. Our winters are so dry and those aren't huge rounds.

No matter when I planned on burning that wood, I'd get it split as soon as possible. You very well might be able to burn it next February of March because it is small stuff but you might still want to mix it with some other dry wood. Also, don't overload the firebox as pine can burn pretty darned hot.

If you have a splitter, split and stack now, burn it 11-12 for best result. If you split by hand, get it on pallets, with the logs horizontal. Wait a year, split, stack well, wait another year at least, burn. Pine splits much easier by hand after a year, but not if it was in a heap. If it was in a heap, only the top pieces will split easy.

Thanks guys, its not next on the list but getting close. I will at least get it on pallets soon.. This is next..

Attachments

• IMG_3417.jpg
    IMG_3417.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_3418.jpg
    IMG_3418.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 355
If you get those smaller rounds split now and stacked in the sun/wind, they'll probably be good to go for Feb/March.

Rent a splitter and git 'er done!
There's still some great drying weather this year.
+1 on not over-loading the fire box with pine.... That's some quick BTU's in that wood!
Happy burning.

ggans said:
Thanks guys, its not next on the list but getting close. I will at least get it on pallets soon.. This is next..

Wow. You have snow already! Most folks are sweating from the heat. lol

I notice some of those are cut pretty short. Is there a reason for that?

If you split it now you might be OK by March . . . me . . . I would split it, stack it and burn it for 2011-2012 since in 2012 the world ends when all the white ash is devoured by the EAB. ;)

Backwoods Savage said:
Wow. You have snow already! Most folks are sweating from the heat. lol

Probably just a shady spot in the yard where the snow hasnt melted yet ;)

Backwoods Savage said:
I notice some of those are cut pretty short. Is there a reason for that?

Looks like tree service product. For some reason, they only seem to be interested in getting the job done and could care less about the challenges facing the scrounger.

Status
Not open for further replies.