My share of over 200 tons of white oak.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
A short time ago I posted a massive score of white oak, we rented one of those firewood processing splitters.
My friend acquired this massive load by trading concrete ,he owns a concrete plant to a tree service owner, in the end over 200 tons of 100% white oak was delivered. At least 10 families benefitted. My part came today about 20 tons. I'm done I'm at about ten years supply of wood.

Attachments

• wo.jpg
    wo.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 306
  • wo1.jpg
    wo1.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 320
  • wo2.jpg
    wo2.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 307
  • wo3.jpg
    wo3.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 324
  • wo4.jpg
    wo4.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 326
A beautiful sight. A giant dump truck load of white oak. Wunderbar!

Same thought as Mutineer. The pieces I'm seeing are red oak.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Looks more like red oak to me, doesn't have the flaky bark like I'm used to on white oak.
All white oak men 100% the tree service who cuts trees for a major northeast Ohio has to have an arborist on site to confirm species,height, approximate age etc. on all trees cut. All white oak I've got 15 plus cords of red oak at least I know the difference, THX

Good score on the oak.. just a heads up.. A tri axle will hold about 18 tons.. You will get that tonnage from gravel or soil.. there alot of airgap in between the rounds so I dont think you got 20 ton.. BUT that being said.. you did get alot of wood.. I bet you got something like 4/5 cord in that deal...

Yes. It does not matter, white or red, both great firewood. A dump truck will carry/hold approx. 4-5 cords as per experts on this site. Regardless, nice score.

FWIW, I thought the very same thing immediately upon viewing the wood... sure doesn't look like white oak we have, looks like red oak! But tree bark surely is not definitive in so many cases!

FWIW, I thought the very same thing immediately upon viewing the wood... sure doesn't look like white oak we have, looks like red oak! But tree bark surely is not definitive in so many cases!
Yes,sir if the possibility exists that it's red oak 1 in 100 the arborist hired by the city of Cleveland was wrong doesn't matter, however white oak is very rot resistant ,unlike red oak ,heat output is identical, or close.

You might as well open a wood oven pizza joint with that much oak.
Sir, just a fraction of what I have on hand,not a slight to anyone having less between, 10 acres and connections wood rolls in. However in reality I'm pretty much done. You have to draw the line somewhere, minimum 8 years on hand accounting for severe winter weather. Far cry from 2004 when wood was scarce, when I first started burning. Lots of splitting to do yet.It's absolutely amazes me how much wood 10 acres can produce, considering I've never cut down a live tree.

Sir, just a fraction of what I have on hand,not a slight to anyone having less between, 10 acres and connections wood rolls in. However in reality I'm pretty much done. You have to draw the line somewhere, minimum 8 years on hand accounting for severe winter weather. Far cry from 2004 when wood was scarce, when I first started burning. Lots of splitting to do yet.It's absolutely amazes me how much wood 10 acres can produce, considering I've never cut down a live tree.
I look forward to trying the pizza. ;)