Mystery Fisher

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Teddy was the answer for customers with a conventional home that wanted the Goldilocks style pedestal stove. (Pedestal model Goldilocks was designed in 1978) Goldilocks has the same size firebox, but does not use indoor air for combustion through doors (all air comes up through pedestal from under home) and is mobile home certified. Goldilocks has 6 inch outlet. Same double heat shield. With doors closed they look the same. Goldi can be used with indoor air by raising pedestal off floor 1 inch. Goldi also has a drop down ash clean out door behind ash fender since ash can drop into air intake across bottom front behind doors.

My avatar with Fisher T shirt is a Ganz teddy bear that came with a Teddy Bear stove at some Canadian dealers.
Those doors were used on Grandma, Fisher Fireplace Insert and Teddy.

No production numbers are known.

For me the fun part of collecting is upgrading as I find a better sample of a model. When I find a brass plated model (this one will have solid brass dampers) I upgrade to the plated model. The holy grail is an unfired one, but I'm running out of time on the planet to have each model in new unfired condition.

Thanks for the size comparison picture. Many don't realize how much smaller the Honey Bear is.

I notice your right door handle is in need of adjustment. It should match the same angle as the solid handle on left door. Heat the bend in latch rod on the inside, and bend to a shaper angle more like a 90* angle to tighten door and make handles match. You can bend them cold with a large adjustable wrench, but when fired they go right back. I get them hot enough with a propane torch and they bend easily. It doesn't take much movement to adjust to make them right. There is a wedge welded on the inside of stove front that contacts latch rod. This comes from leaning on the handle closing it too tight and heating with unnecessary pressure on latch rod.

Teddy was the answer for customers with a conventional home that wanted the Goldilocks style pedestal stove. (Pedestal model Goldilocks was designed in 1978) Goldilocks has the same size firebox, but does not use indoor air for combustion through doors (all air comes up through pedestal from under home) and is mobile home certified. Goldilocks has 6 inch outlet. Same double heat shield. With doors closed they look the same. Goldi can be used with indoor air by raising pedestal off floor 1 inch. Goldi also has a drop down ash clean out door behind ash fender since ash can drop into air intake across bottom front behind doors.

My avatar with Fisher T shirt is a Ganz teddy bear that came with a Teddy Bear stove at some Canadian dealers.
Those doors were used on Grandma, Fisher Fireplace Insert and Teddy.

No production numbers are known.

For me the fun part of collecting is upgrading as I find a better sample of a model. When I find a brass plated model (this one will have solid brass dampers) I upgrade to the plated model. The holy grail is an unfired one, but I'm running out of time on the planet to have each model in new unfired condition.
I found this teddy bear with a 7 inch flue today. My question is with the air intakes above glass on doors, do they act differently than regular standard spin draft controls? Is it hard to keep glass clean. I have had a Sierra stove with glass doors and it was a pain to keep clean.

Screenshot_20211201-141232_Facebook.jpg

Last edited: