Napolean 1450P or Englander 30-NCH for a manufactured home(double wide)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dukee1

Hearth Supporter
Jan 26, 2010
Islip NY
I am replacing a very cheap fireplace that does not work well. It is a 3 bed, 2bath ranch.(approx 1500) It is located in rocoe, NY (very cold) I am considering Napolean 1450P or Englander 30-NCH There is about a 100 dollar difference between the two. Any ones opinion would be greatly appreciated. I am also open to other suggestions in the 1100$ price range.

I've seen the englander. Looks cheap. The 1450 is rated for less sq feet but has a blower included. It has not been above freezing up there in a month.

30 will heat it fine - especially with the blower. If it's an open floor plan you'll be fine, otherwise moving the heat may be a challenge. I don't know about the other, not familiar with it. Good luck!

I was told napolean was not rated for a mobile home and you won't be able to have it insured. I had to buy a quadra fire, because it is rated for mobile home. I have a 1919 double wide with the 6 in walls.

30 is rated for mobile home, just needs the pedestal not the legs, and you might need the outside air kit ($10 for a 3" aluminum flex hose). One note on the 30, you will need a hearth with an insulation value of R=1.5 underneath it. A couple sheets of Durock and a couple sheets of Micore will work I believe for a quick job, but there are several ideas here for a prettier version.

cjsplitter said:
I was told napolean was not rated for a mobile home and you won't be able to have it insured. I had to buy a quadra fire, because it is rated for mobile home. I have a 1919 double wide with the 6 in walls.

Dude - a 1919 doublewide? That trailer's older than my house!

cmonSTART said:
The 30 has a larger firebox, very large, but the Napoleon is better quality.

Please explain that?

You will need the floor insulation (Hearth pad) and you will also need to install the the OAK, double wall flue to the ceiling triple after to be compliant with code. Moving the air around will be difficult. I suggest using the blower on your present furnace. the reason being that some of your water pipes are run close to the furnace duct work to prevent freezing (Make sure everything is sealed up under the trailer). I heated my 14x65 (1980 or so build) for 7 years with a wood stove, floor plan was not the best as the bedrooms were on one end always stayed pretty cold, on the other-hand it could be -5 deg outside and 90 deg inside in the main living quarters.

The Drolet 95000 btu rig is on sale at northern tools on line not sure if it is rated mobile or not though, sale price falls in your range ( Canadian co)

The manual for my 1450 does not say it is rated for mobile homes. It lists the 1400 but not the 1450 as OK for mobile homes in the US.

I'd suggest you call them and double check as the manual is one of those that covers a number of models with some of the 1450 specific stuff inserted (in red most of the time!) and they may have either not rated it yet, missed it as an inclusion, or the manual may be pefrectly correct and it ain't mobile home safe.

Seems odd to me that they have worked to build the 1450 to a price point to compete in that segment b ut would ignore the mobile home portion of the market.

I've got the 30 in a ~1800 sq ft double wide. Works great. I don't understand why people thing the 30 looks cheap, it is much better quality than any other stoves I've ever had and heats our place great. 2 loads a day when its in the 20-30's and three if it gets into the single digits. I didn't use an OAK, though I believe it is supposed to be used in manufactured housing, I've got enough drafts and leaks I'm not the least bit worried about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.