Need a new add on furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Husky546

Jun 28, 2023
Minnesota
Hey guys I’m looking for a new add on wood furnace. I currently have an old Johnson energy system wood burner that I’m sick of fighting with. It’s at least 25 years old, falling apart and honestly probably not safe to use anymore.

I’m in the market for another add on style but I’m not finding much I like (at least not at the big box stores) House I’m heating is 2000 square feet split evenly between a basement and the main floor.

In a perfect world I’d like something that has a damper that’s controlled by a thermostat and not the old spring style and a secondary burn chamber would be great.

Anyone have any suggestions? Not interested in anything shelter makes

I suggest you read a bunch to help you figure out what you want.
Stoves and regulations have changed in 25 years, make sure you can install a new furnace without a bunch of other work, like a flue upgrade or additional flue install.

Good on that end just upgraded the flue two years ago to a stainless liner and got the blessing from my local code official. He was the one who first suggested I upgrade the furnace itself.

Hey guys I’m looking for a new add on wood furnace. I currently have an old Johnson energy system wood burner that I’m sick of fighting with. It’s at least 25 years old, falling apart and honestly probably not safe to use anymore.

I’m in the market for another add on style but I’m not finding much I like (at least not at the big box stores) House I’m heating is 2000 square feet split evenly between a basement and the main floor.

In a perfect world I’d like something that has a damper that’s controlled by a thermostat and not the old spring style and a secondary burn chamber would be great.

Anyone have any suggestions? Not interested in anything shelter makes

Look into a Kuuma Vapor Fire 100...........best out there.

Not interested in anything shelter makes
Wise choice...avoid the current stuff from Firechief too, exact same junk as Shelter, just a different color.
There's no longer anything available in a big box store that you want to own...you pretty much have a choice between the Drolet Heat Commander, and a Kuuma VF100.
One of those is made to last 5-10 years, the other will outlast you...and is stupid simple to operate too!

There’s only two choices. Drolet or kuuma. Both are automated as you desire and both have secondary burn so they are efficient and clean. One costs a lot more and has no window.

There’s only two choices. Drolet or kuuma. Both are automated as you desire and both have secondary burn so they are efficient and clean. One costs a lot more and has no window.

Over simplified it just a bit. ;lol There's only one person on here (that I know of) who has had the opportunity to use both of these furnaces back to back in the same heating season. You can see which one he chose to use.

Reactions: woodey and Highbeam