Need a new boiler EKO 25 died in fire.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Its hard to have a steam explosion in a little boiler, you have relief valves etc and if it had happened the water jacket would have been blown to smithereens.

Looks exactly like a gas explosion. Butane, propane, wood gas hard to tell. A 1 lb propane cylinder contents can level a family home if it leaks out and has time to mix a bit.

I'd like the record to show that the evidence here seems to suggest your EKO was MURDERED.

That's a hell of a way to go for such a fine boiler. Only that EKO knows the real truth. She probably smelled the gas and couldn't do anything about it. Like watching your car fill with water after ditching in the lake knowing you can't get your seatbelt off.

That crime scene photo gives me the willies. No boiler deserves to go out like that. Particularly at the hands of a fossil fuel. Jealous #(*^*&^##)@.

Never underestimate the power of a jealous bottle of LP, friends...

Reactions: Fred61
Tragic death. I hope it was quick and she didn't suffer.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Well Rugar, the silver lining is that your family is safe, you'll be getting a new boiler, Maple and others may be moving their torches to safer locations, and not to mention your thread brought Slowzuki out of hibernation. I've always liked his posts. Let us know what you end up doing, and best of luck on your new boiler.

Mike

Last edited:
I'm quite convinced my bernzo or tank it was attached to was the culprit. Starting cleaning the mess up and found an exploded propane tank on opposite side of building from its original position. The bernzo was closer to original location but either partly melted or at least missing some parts.
For a new boiler I'm considering the discontinued Froling on special. I'm considering placing new boiler in detached garage that is only used for tools and such. My question is I really should have storage and have a low profile but very long 500 gallon propane tank that hasn't been built for storage yet. To use it it would set in garage or outside. Other options would be small basement under house but couldn't get a propane tank into it so would have to build something from scratch or spend a bunch.
Any thoughts or spend more cash for a garn or something else.

Rugar, I'm thinking the Froling is a great choice for it's Lambda device alone, especially if you get it at the sale price.

I've got our insulated propane-type storage tank partitioned off in the back of our unheated garage. In hindsight it may have been wiser to have set it on blocks and framed it in outside on the same wall. Would have saved valuable garage space and cost not much more. The Garn Jr. is a top quality boiler too, but you'd pay a lot more for it because it comes with it's own storage, which you already have.

Mike

Last edited:
Could do open American Solartechnics tanks, with HX coils. Those can be assembled most anywhere - even a small basement. Efficient use of space, and you bring it into the space in pieces & put it together. Definitely would want storage with that boiler.

Or put your 500 against a wall in the garage - can still use the space above it for storage. Of 'stuff'.

Pretty sure the sale was over on the 10th of February.

If you have a gable end on your garage you could very easily build a small bump out of less than 6' x 6' and go vertical with the 500 gallon tank.

Pressurized is the way to go these days, but if you can't You could build your own. I did it and it works great. Tarm used to sell unpressurized units but it doesn't appear they do anymore. I know building your own and using EPDM for a liner isn't top shelf but it does work when you are limited to space. 8' x 8' x 4' You can get enough water in there for about 1200 gallons. Mine is in my basement and my boiler is in my attached garage it's 100 feet in pipe length away. Good luck and enjoy figuring out all the kinks it's a lot of fun (if you enjoy that kind of thing)?

If you have the money (from insurance), I really like the Garn for it's simplicity. Downsides are: open system requires HX and water chemistry monitoring and adjustment. Larger blower = higher electricity use.

c3677ebc923951f60ea5f7f200244fc9.jpg5ab588b7cd435c9e415ce598fbfffb03.jpga68a6716d0541b9680bb8ab1396d9893.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woops sorry didn't add explanation this was my first design
I bought the liner custom made I had moisture escaping from the cover from not being properly sealed. I decided to make it bigger and when I opened it up the liner above the water was brittle that's why I used EPDM the second time
Same design just double the size w a extra coil and better reinforcement
I don't have pics of that being built

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll try to get a picture of tank today. Someone also makes a garn like boiler that has pressurized storage around it. Don't remember the name. These type of boilers may be pushing the amount of dollars I can spend. I hope the Froling sale isn't gone, will make things tougher if so. My biggest concern is I needed 180 plus temp water to heat my baseboards and be comfortable. When temps dropped to 77 or lower it was noticable.

I think I would add more radiation, of some kind. No matter what you do on the boiler side, it will help it immensely - keeping supply at 180 all the time is an efficiency hit and without storage you will be bouncing between a lot of idling, and supply water not hot enough. Cast iron rads work very well, usually lots of used ones around.

And add more insulation & air sealing.

^See above - Switzer is the Garn like one you were thinking about. Likely.

This is my propane tank. Touch longer than 13 ft and 2.66 ft wide. 500 gallon. Wish I had two. Gotta be great for stratification when placed on end.

Attachments

• IMG_20170221_152943751.jpg
    IMG_20170221_152943751.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 167
I love my cast iron rads.Like having a wood stove in every room without the mess or danger.
Even when my storage gets down to 120F they are still putting out heat.120 is where my oil boiler kicks in for backup or when we go somewhere.

Maybe it's time to start a new thread but I've done a lot of calling and reading on different systems. I've looked at Froling, Portage and Main, Woodmaster g series, hardy kb125 and Econoburn. All of those sound like great units with great people. On a whim I called on a Switzer and I'm having trouble figuring out why I shouldn't obviously choose it. All these boilers aren't cheep but the Switzer isn't that much more and has pressurized storage. Is there something I'm missing.

You're comparing among units that would potentially different installation costs. The Heatmaster G series, Hardy KB125, and Portage and Main would commonly be installed without storage. Not saying they couldn't be, but the manufacturers expect them to not be.
I'm not telling you to go one way or another. Just an observation.

Your certainly right about the heatmaster, hardy, and P&M. There is still a fit for flexability that these units give that I had to consider. Then looked at good storage capable brands and had an epiphany, they all cost about the same. Then checked out the Switzer and it isn't that much more really. Unless I'm on boiler overload( which I am) the choice looks clear unless my mind is fogged.

I'm well over a thousand miles away. I'm guessing that would place me on my own for install. Sounds like Gary has re designed part of the system in the last couple years to where it's much easier. Sounds like a little electrical and some outer plumbing is most of it.