Need Firewood ASAP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I’ll second the eco log idea, should get you through the winter; and start buying or cutting now. Semi loads are the cheapest way to go if you don’t have access to a good cutting area.
I agree. Its so overwhelming the first season. You have no wood, but you also have to worry about next seasons wood so you are not in the same situation. What I am learning is.. There is no such thing as too much wood. I think the 3 season surplus rule is just about mandatory. One extra severe winter could easily cut into next years supply.

Reactions: all night moe
I agree. Its so overwhelming the first season. You have no wood, but you also have to worry about next seasons wood so you are not in the same situation. What I am learning is.. There is no such thing as too much wood. I think the 3 season surplus rule is just about mandatory. One extra severe winter could easily cut into next years supply.
Yeah that’s absolutely true, no such thing as to much. A lot of people on here shoot to be at least 5 years ahead. However I think for some that don’t have easy access to cutting areas/densely wooded areas, it’s difficult to obtain that. For example where I’m at, a good cutting area is about an 45-90 mins depending on which area, and it took me a hot minute before I found anyone that did semi loads to my area. All you can do is try, and remember to enjoy the little things along the way.

IMO, for typical outdoor storage two years minimum storage (up off the ground and with some sort of top over with ventilation between the top of the stack and the cover) much more than 4 years and I see the firewood is starting to deteriorate. If in wood shed than the wood is good for decades.

Last edited: