Need help figuring out where to install Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

swiggyswag

Apr 1, 2016
Ohio
My wife and I just purchased our first pellet stove. We have a small ranch house just about 978 square feet (one floor). We're trying to figure out where to install the pellet stove to get the max heating for the whole house with it. We have electric heat where we live and its too expensive by far to use so we want to use this as our primary heat source. I made a really terrible but accurate drawing of the house layout. We are trying to figure out which wall to put it on. Thank you for any help you can give me.

https://ibb.co/dO1wPc

My wife and I just purchased our first pellet stove. We have a small ranch house just about 978 square feet (one floor). We're trying to figure out where to install the pellet stove to get the max heating for the whole house with it. We have electric heat where we live and its too expensive by far to use so we want to use this as our primary heat source. I made a really terrible but accurate drawing of the house layout. We are trying to figure out which wall to put it on. Thank you for any help you can give me.

https://ibb.co/dO1wPc
If you are venting it up through the roof i would install on the kitchen wall to the right. If you are venting it horizontally I would vent it out on the left side of the bay window. If there is an overhang out the front it's a bad idea to vent it our horizontally. I did that when I installed mine and the ash that built up on the siding and overhang ceiling was so thick you couldn't tell if the ceiling lights were on. It took us 10 hours to clean it up since the soot seem to adhere to the siding,

There are a lot of factors. If venting horizontally, keep in mind the windward side will always get more ash on it I’d vented there. Horizontal vents are easy to clean, less restrictive for the stove and cheaper and that corner by th bay window would be your best bet for spreading the heat out. Another factor is where your return for your central hvac is located. Place the stove near that and you can circulate heat from that area through the whole house. Another factor to keep in mind is that you can vent the stove horizontally then put a stack on the exterior to get the ash above the roofline. If you do that, use a four way Tee so you can easily clean out both runs of pipe.

my vote would be the line for other wall option blowing directly towards the hallway

my vote would be the line for other wall option blowing directly towards the hallway
X2 I think you will get the biggest bang for your heating dollar if you install
the stove in the other position