Need Help! - Tough Stove Placement Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yikes! That's seriously high. I suggest living with the house for a year. By then you will have gone through all 4 seasons and will have the past heating bills for a baseline. The additional time will help you get more familiar with the house layout and opportunities to look at other potential options that may be more workable.

Reactions: speedy
Since my wife always wanted a screen-room, I'm thinking of turning my deck into a 4-season room and adding a chimney and fireplace to that.

Reactions: begreen
That might open an interesting option if it is a good EPA ZC fireplace. It could gravity vent into the main part of the house.

Since my wife always wanted a screen-room, I'm thinking of turning my deck into a 4-season room and adding a chimney and fireplace to that.

"How do I get some heat from my sunroom stove into the house?" is a frequently asked question around here. Most people don't like the answers they get, either (since the best answer is 'move the stove inside', and #2 involves ripping out a structural wall).

That's not to say that a sunroom stove can't heat a sunroom nicely, but it faces some challenges with heating a house.

If you have ducting for forced air heat already in the house though, that might open up some options for having your cake and eating it too.

My HVAC (heat pump) ducts are in the ceilings. Ducting into a new sun room may be a royal pain. I dunno. I miss my woodstove already and it isn't even burn season yet.

This is why I suggested looking at the ducted EPA fireplace option. The vents would go from the fireplace directly to the home interior through the common wall.

If I do the sun room there will be a 6 foot opening with double doors between the sunroom and the main part of the house so hoping for lots of heat transfer there.

If I do the sun room there will be a 6 foot opening with double doors between the sunroom and the main part of the house so hoping for lots of heat transfer there.
It'll need some assistance, like a fan blowing air down low, into the sunroom from the main part of the house.

chimney_cricket_owens_chimney_systems_charlotte_nc.jpg
If you run the chase all the way up you will need to put a "CRICKET" in your roof