Need help with Harman TL300 disassembly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The Jotul TL50 (Rangeley) can top load. That said, having gone from a top-loader years ago, that feature is not that important to me anymore. Good heat, long clean burn, nice fire view, simple and reliable are bigger priorities.

Reactions: Highbeam
A favorite of mine was the Quadrafire Isle Royale, but that has been discontinued for a few years now. If you could find a recent, low-use model that would be another choice. Moderator Jags has had one for years.

Looked at one this AM...Decisions, decisions. Cons--Only a 5" opening for top load vs 7"--ash bucket is a 1/4 the size--the bricks are not secure, there's a 1/2" play between them and the side wall. $3159.00 delivered and placed. Not too keen on front loading, can't imagine loading at night with a fire still going?

Looked at one this AM...Decisions, decisions. Cons--Only a 5" opening for top load vs 7"--ash bucket is a 1/4 the size--the bricks are not secure, there's a 1/2" play between them and the side wall. $3159.00 delivered and placed. Not too keen on front loading, can't imagine loading at night with a fire still going?
I have run both front and top loaders. And personally hate top loaders. I find from loading much easier. You can pack allot tighter. And there is less smoke spillage.

And the gap in the brick doenst matter it will fill with ash quickly.

If the front loader is loaded N/S the, reloading is no big deal.

N/S was the one measurement I didn't take yesterday. Dealer doesn't open til Tues. Most of my splits are 16"-18" with some over 20". The 20's I'm able to put in on an angle, no can do with the Jotul.

N/S was the one measurement I didn't take yesterday. Dealer doesn't open til Tues. Most of my splits are 16"-18" with some over 20". The 20's I'm able to put in on an angle, no can do with the Jotul.
The jotul will have much lower maintenance cost. But really have you ever run a front or side loader? It makes everything about the stove much less complicated. And many people that switch don't mind infact many like them better.

First stove was a Morso 2BO, too small and went to the Harman years later.
Those are good stoves but only for small spaces. An undersized stove will be frustrating no matter what. And that style stove isn't the easiest to load either.

The TL300 is hardly undersized and extremely easy to load. The 2BO was a side loader but small even with the arch.
I was referring to the moroso about being undersized. I have run a Harman before and didn't like top loading very much. Certainly not enough to overcome the serious durability issues with those stoves. My buddy has a Harman in his cabin. We stay there atleast one week over the winter usually a couple. I am always happy to get back to a front loader.

Is it a TL300, I can load mine from the front but never saw the need, much easier for me to load plus I can put in a few 24" splits in from the top on the diagonal. I'm convincing myself to repair;lol

Is it a TL300, I can load mine from the front but never saw the need, much easier for me to load plus I can put in a few 24" splits in from the top on the diagonal. I'm convincing myself to repair;lol
Yes I know exactly what your stove is it is the same one I have used. If you want a top loader that's fine. I am just trying to get you to consider other options that are much more durable.

And I seriously think throwing $1000 at a stove with a cracked top is foolish.

Congratulations. Case solved, and you have a parts stove.

Yeah, they're gonna haul the shell away, I've taken all that's good. Maybe if I'm more careful I can get more than 7 years out of the damper but by then I'm 82

Just to add my two cents ( a bit late ), I prefer top-loaders to side-loaders, and I prefer side-loaders to front-loaders... by far. I got more smoke spill and ash-spill from front-loading (Jotul and Woodstock) than I ever got with the other two modes of stoves I've run.

I got my Harman for half price, too. Some serious flaws but still a great stove.