Need More Sun

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
on the east side of the house so this was the first one we took down near the house. I hope this will do the trick.

zap

Attachments

• 100_5733.JPG
    100_5733.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 168
  • 100_5734.JPG
    100_5734.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 175
Zap, so I guess you had nothing better to do today. LOL

KC

on the east side of the house so this was the first one we took down near the house. I hope this will do the trick.

zap

Careful Zap, a tree here, a tree there, and before long you'll be looking at a meadow!

Just kidding, I know you have an abundance of forest out there, looks like that will open up some nice rays for you!

Straight up, I'm getting sick of pine, limbing up is a pain in the arse. How has your summer been?

zap

Reactions: ScotO and PapaDave
jwoair23, I agree with you. I have been working on the smaller pine thinning out our woods, the tree in the picture is the southeast side so the work on the eastside will start Sunday or Monday.

zap

Do you ever take a break Zap???

I dont blame ya... My Wife is always Yitchin that I am outside doing something.

If you do a little every day, then you will see Big results!

Keep it up Zap... BTW. When is the Pit gonna be commissioned?

Reactions: Thistle and ScotO
The tree tonight was dropped right where the fireplace is going, we might have one or two more pines in that area. This weekend I have some family stuff going on so I'm thinking by the end of second week in August.

zap

Spruce is the same for me,
liming is a PITA. The bark & limbs seem to hold allot of dirt & dust.
Always some hidden dead ones in there that like to poke & scratch you.

I try to cut it when it's cold, so the sap is hard & less sticky.

Looks like you got another good log for milling.

Reactions: ScotO
bogydave, it's hard to see but the pine log is shaped funny, I have two others with this one so I'll mill it.

zap

Reactions: ScotO
I love your place Zap. I agree limbing pine and spruce is a pain branches falling on you trying to get around one to get a starting place and theres always a few hiding under the tree. But balsom is worse with all those little sap blisters.

Billy

Thanks Billy, the wife loves having some privacy so I make sure the boss is ok with the felling of certain trees around the house. She still worries about burning pine (old school) but I told her I would check the chimney every week if she wants.

How are things in the Upper Peninsula?
zap

By the looks of where the Rhino is, you must have put a cable on that pine zap. Good for you. I too do not like limbing those white pine. Takes lots of time cutting then you have to move all the brush.

We used the treesaver,cable and the winch on the back of the Rhino, the boss was at a safe distance when it came down. It had more overhang on the backside (towards the house) so I used the wedge too.

zap

Glad she gets out to help you zap.

Where do you live? And WHY would you want more sun on your house? I understand not wanting pines around your house (im a forester and love pines but not near a home, they tend to lose branches and tops frequently in storms!) but not wanting shade!!!! This country had had a heat wave for the last year or so, i would do anything to have shade on my house now a days!

We have plenty of shade clemsonfor, the lots full of pines which we like but the eastside of the house needs that early morning sun, that side will hold moisture, even this year. I'll take care of our investment (our house) you take care of yours.

This woods will also be a healthier woods compared to when we moved in, regrow with some planting to replace dead trees will happen. ::P

zap

I got the last old growth birch tree early this spring.
Birch; If the tops have any dead branches, they are getting hollow & soon to blow down.
Now I have a 150 yard runway/golf course, nice sunny garden. But no more trees blowing over onto the house or the yard.
& allot of grass to mow :confused:

OK understand about the moisture. But i sure wish i had some nice shade tree oaks around my house. This hot SC sun is pretty hot when your out in the open

I haven't been to the farm in three weeks Zap. I gotta cut my fuel costs. Taking the skidsteer to the farm with the dumptruck cost over 400 in fuel. I got a 1981 VW pickup a month ago and I am waiting on a engine and trans to come in from CA. But it should get 50 to 60 mpg when I get it all rebuilt. And hopefully I can sell the focus for enough to pay for it.

Billy

Where do you live? And WHY would you want more sun on your house? I understand not wanting pines around your house (im a forester and love pines but not near a home, they tend to lose branches and tops frequently in storms!) but not wanting shade!!!! This country had had a heat wave for the last year or so, i would do anything to have shade on my house now a days!

You should know that zap lives in the woods. He also lives fairly close to the Canadian border. This is a much different climate than what you get in your area. Yes, we northerners tend to want some sun on the roof. It gets cold up here and most of the summer is not hot but comfortable. You need shade, zap doesn't.

clemsonfor, this is the big White Pine on the eastside of our house which blocks the sun. It's still a good healthy tree so that is why we took a smaller not so healthy tree which is giving us about one hour more of sun (early in the morning) on the eastside since we took it down.

zap

Attachments

• 100_5761-001.JPG
    100_5761-001.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 104
Status
Not open for further replies.