Need Recommendation if I Replace My Blaze King

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Was the first image during start up or reload? The others look pretty good if the stove is running.

Last edited:
OK, must be just a shadow above the chimney cap that looked like black smoke.

Probably not the cap. What brand chimney pipe is this? Does it have a folded or welded seam? Have you checked the storm collar to make sure it's properly sealed?

I don't remember the brand and haven't done any of that. I have someone coming to take a look at it. Thanks for your efforts to diagnose from afar.

Sometimes water can find its way down the seam with folded seam chimney pipe. Selkirk has this issue. It's easy to fix with a bead of silicone up the length of the seam from the storm collar up to the next pipe.

We had Selkirk chimney in the old stove location when we move into the house. That leak drove me nuts until I tried siliconing the seam. No more issues after that.

I'll through my 2 cents worth in here. I switched from an Ashford 30 to a PE T5 last year. I have absolutely no regrets at all. Loved my Blaze King but was tired of fighting the smell. Now i'm heating way less house then you, something around 1500 sq I believe so make sure you keep that in mind.
Where the BK is a slow steady heat the T5 has a bit more peak and valley if loaded to the gills and then let run until all coal. This can be easily managed by loading more frequently but smaller loads. In my case less is more. Every situation is different.

I try not to be biased. I miss the reliable even heat of the BK but as time goes on the PE is convincing me that it's ease of use offsets that. It is so easy to run and maintain and an often overlooked point is how nice it is to actually get to see fire.

As I type this we have a -36C windchill outside and it's 25C inside and i'm in shorts. I love winter!
I have no experience with the other stoves your asking about but I can confirm that the T5 is a great burner and very easy to maintain.
Good luck

I'll through my 2 cents worth in here. I switched from an Ashford 30 to a PE T5 last year. I have absolutely no regrets at all. Loved my Blaze King but was tired of fighting the smell. Now i'm heating way less house then you, something around 1500 sq I believe so make sure you keep that in mind.
Where the BK is a slow steady heat the T5 has a bit more peak and valley if loaded to the gills and then let run until all coal. This can be easily managed by loading more frequently but smaller loads. In my case less is more. Every situation is different.

I try not to be biased. I miss the reliable even heat of the BK but as time goes on the PE is convincing me that it's ease of use offsets that. It is so easy to run and maintain and an often overlooked point is how nice it is to actually get to see fire.

As I type this we have a -36C windchill outside and it's 25C inside and i'm in shorts. I love winter!
I have no experience with the other stoves your asking about but I can confirm that the T5 is a great burner and very easy to maintain.
Good luck
Thanks so much for adding your input. Particularly since, like me, you've moved on from an Ashford 30 and, unlike me, have already installed a T5. Really helpful to know you're having a good experience. I'm pretty sure it will work for us too. The house is 2800 square feet but we'll just be supplementing a heat exchange system and it doesn't get that cold here.

The Ashford is a gorgeous stove. I'm sure it's ideal for certain folks in certain applications. As for me, I'm ready to move on.

I hope it works out for you. Nothing better than good and safe burning that makes you happy and content!

I hope it works out for you. Nothing better than good and safe burning that makes you happy and content!
Thanks. I'll report back once I've got the new setup in place. First the Blaze King has to go and then I need to procure the T5 and get it installed. And address the stove pipe issues. So it will be a little while.

Reactions: stoveliker