Need some Big Heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The Princess is an excellent choice, there are many Princess users here, and they spew nothing but adoration of their stoves. Yes, BK’s publish lower max burn rates than some other similar size stoves, but don’t underestimate the ability of perfectly even heat over the full day, when it comes to getting the job done. Other stoves peak higher in the first few hours, then trail off, while the BK thermostat does its best to fight this natural action and provide a more continuous level of heat.

Also, how could something so plain looking sell in such high numbers, if it wasn’t a phenomenal heater? It ain’t winning any beauty contests, but it’s still one of the most popular stoves on this forum.

Reactions: lsucet
It will depend as you said, but i think it will be better. I recommend to get the fans this way you have both world out the same unit. the advantage can be when it is not that cold outside and depending your heat demand and insulation level of your house, you can run the stove on radiant heat and low saving fuel when at the same time keeping steady heat. Saving on electric bill plus noise reduction, less part to wear out and replace, etc. For me the fans are a most but many here don't have them and still heating their places. The fans will help to better distribute that heat when you need big heat demand cause outside temp and don't want to overheat the room where the stove is. When it is hard to tell I think is a win, win, win over the pellet stove. That's the way i feel about it cause i used to have two of them installed at the same time and they did a good job, but it is way different with the wood stoves. Hope this help.

Also, how could something so plain looking sell in such high numbers, if it wasn’t a phenomenal heater? It ain’t winning any beauty contests, but it’s still one of the most popular stoves on this forum.
Not a metric you want to hang your hat on and I would have to say that is just not so. Note that we mostly get people showing up here with problems, not praise. Some hang around and that's great, but Jotul, Travis, Quadrafire, Regency, etc. all make popular stoves that have very high sales volumes in comparison and for the most part we will never hear from these folks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful
Found some numbers on the pelpro stove today. Which is listed at 82 efficiency

50000 BTU/hr Input based on maximum feed rate per hour multiplied by approximately 8600 BTU, which is average BTU from a pound of pellets.

So a 40 pound bag of pellets equals 344,000 Btus. I would guess a 40 pound bag of pellets would last 12-15 hours. Anyone know how these numbers stack up against the BK princess?

Found some numbers on the pelpro stove today. Which is listed at 82 efficiency

50000 BTU/hr Input based on maximum feed rate per hour multiplied by approximately 8600 BTU, which is average BTU from a pound of pellets.

So a 40 pound bag of pellets equals 344,000 Btus. I would guess a 40 pound bag of pellets would last 12-15 hours. Anyone know how these numbers stack up against the BK princess?
A 40# bag of pellets lasted us 24 hrs. during most weather. We normally would load the stove once a day. During very cold weather it lasted us 12 hrs.

That is correct, I was trying to compare max btus on the bk princess and the pellet stove

I will tell you this. I will not compare the pellet stove with a wood stove. Lets say a bag last 24 hrs on shoulder season, so what a load on the princess.lol

Now you are not consuming electricity with the Princess and possibly staying warmer just with radiated heat. No igniter, no auger, vacuum device, circuit board, etc etc,etc. Outrage, oh my gosh. Easy fix, a GENERATOR. OK LOL. I do know both side of the coin and I will never compare it.
I just turn the one that I still have installed for you see I know what I am talking about.

Now, there's nothing wrong will pellet stove if that's the route you want to go. All what I am saying is, they are different animals with to their plus and minus. It is up to you.

Attachments

• 15164251893291032578507.jpg
    15164251893291032578507.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 213
VERY interesting read. I don't qualify as knowledgeable in this area as
mine's just a sealed firebox with a valve for air in, and one for exhaust out.

Is there a concern with power outages? What crossed my mind was the difference
from more radiant heat based vs. heated air blower based? If there's a generator to
run the fan or power outages are rare and/ or short, that's a plus towards fan forced/ aided.

The other variables being the open space home layout will lend well to a stove with some
hot walls and standard chimney.

Enjoy your choice, and +1 on "start gathering wood now" although you are already a burner
and probably know that. With wood, moisture makes a whole new ballgame over coal or
pellets and their consistent predictability..

I will tell you this. I will not compare the pellet stove with a wood stove. Lets say a bag last 24 hrs on shoulder season, so what a load on the princess.lol

Now you are not consuming electricity with the Princess and possibly staying warmer just with radiated heat. No igniter, no auger, vacuum device, circuit board, etc etc,etc. Outrage, oh my gosh. Easy fix, a GENERATOR. OK LOL. I do know both side of the coin and I will never compare it.
I just turn the one that I still have installed for you see I know what I am talking about.

Now, there's nothing wrong will pellet stove if that's the route you want to go. All what I am saying is, they are different animals with to their plus and minus. It is up to you.

But what about overall heat output between the pellet stove and princess?

The princess may be coming sooner than I thought. The pelpro pellet stove took a dive last night. The shaft connecting the motor and auger completely broke in half. The first pic is the broken shaft and second pic is what it should look like. I replaced the motor about a month ago and suspect I overtightened the screw connecting the motor and shaft. Unfortunately the shaft that is intact is nearly impossible to attach to the rear motor plate. The pelpro was a solid machine with no major problems for 3 years. But it may be time to lay it to rest. On a dide note I measured my living pace that I heat and it is 2000 square feet. Feeling a little better about the princess producing enough heat.

Attachments

• D4A15069-7C06-4013-BB26-A390BC10CC16.jpeg
    D4A15069-7C06-4013-BB26-A390BC10CC16.jpeg
    51.7 KB · Views: 215
  • 66F16D35-B811-4AC0-BBA2-62B6515C9CE1.jpeg
    66F16D35-B811-4AC0-BBA2-62B6515C9CE1.jpeg
    74.6 KB · Views: 229
That’s one of the reasons I favor wood over pellet stoves, there are less parts to break, no electricity required and you can’t ever get free pellets, but you can get free wood.

I hope you get back up and running soon.

Reactions: diverscale
That’s one of the reasons I favor wood over pellet stoves, there are less parts to break, no electricity required and you can’t ever get free pellets, but you can get free wood.

I hope you get back up and running soon.

I’ve never had to do a “firmware update” on my woodstove. Just sayin’.

I put a $300 deposit on the princess today. In the end the stove, liner, pipe and labor will cost $4000. The stove itself was $2800, feeling confident I made a good decision, time will tell. Now I just have to split 5 cords of oak that have been stacked in my yard the last 5 years.

Reactions: Ashful
I put a $300 deposit on the princess today. In the end the stove, liner, pipe and labor will cost $4000. The stove itself was $2800, feeling confident I made a good decision, time will tell. Now I just have to split 5 cords of oak that have been stacked in my yard the last 5 years.

Hope it's still good after 5 years. I don't have oak here, mainly maple, but pretty sure it wouldn't be very good after 5 years in rounds.

Tell us about your source of wood - do you have a few cords of 2-3 year old oak seasoning under cover? Are you going to be cutting this spring and summer for the next winter? Purchasing? This may help direct your purchase a bit since it sounds like you want to hit the ground running once you pull the trigger.
You may want to look at a Sedore 3000 - they are made in Deer River, Minnesota and have long burn times. Being a former Minnesotan, I know of the winter's which you speak and I would not even consider another stove than the Sedore in those temps. It's got a 3.5ft (N/C) firebox rated for heating up to 3000 sqft, that is good for 12-15 hours of solid heat output on a mix of wood species at variable moisture levels. It is also great at holding coals for quick reloads. It loads from the top so you can really pack it full, no bending over to load up, there is really no need to tend to it once you load it up and set it on cruise. With all of these benefits there is a trade off. You will need to clean out the stove once every 2 weeks of consistent burning and you will want to run a brush up the pipe once every 6-8 weeks during the burn season. This takes me about 5 minutes to clean out the box and another 10 to brush the pipe. If you burn really dry wood, brushing out the pipe will only be needed once a year.
I heat a 2100 sqft open floor plan Cape Cod with no problems. My biggest problem is preventing overheating. I can only burn mine in shoulder season mode or the temps blow past 80F and it house becomes a sauna. That probably will not be a problem in MN, but in N. Ga we never get cold enough for a 24 hour burn. Check it out https://www.sedoreusa.com/.

The OP has put a deposit down on an order for a BK Princess stove.

You may want to look at a Sedore 3000... and you will want to run a brush up the pipe once every 6-8 weeks during the burn season.

Say... what?

935C834A-1C68-47D9-8340-C554A7C05DDE.jpeg

Got the princess in today! All said and done everything cost $4100. Temps should be around 32 degrees tonight looking forward to the maiden voyage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nigel459 and lsucet
Don't count on that oak to be ready to burn any season soon.

Congrats!

Is this the classic or ultra?

Temp was 61 in the House about an hour into my first fire, just a few questions:

1. After the stove was in the active zone I closed the bypass per instructions and ran the stove wide open. The stove is just past the maximum mark on the active Zone. Is this normal?

If I run a blaze king wide open does it operate just like a non-cat stove?

Forgot to mention princess Ultra stove with 2 year well seasoned oak.