New “Old” Intrepid series 1

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NFAZ10

Apr 8, 2018
NJ,USA
Hi all,
Just picked up this stove for 300$ It appears to be in many condition. Nothing seems warped. All hinges and levers seems to work great. Was owned by an older couple who traded it in for gas. We will be installing it in our new house next month. Total of 800sq feet. Using it to supplement oil heat in the house. Is there anything I should look to do to maintain this? It is my first wood burning stove! So any help is awesome.

78F804D0-DE95-4B28-BF38-FB2492D83A6E.jpeg 7444CFB3-168D-4CEF-B749-17C2A03B8FAD.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Like the red, I've been using mine since November, works surprisingly well, don't expect 12 hr burn times but for its size I think it works well. Although it is my first stove and it is 1970s technology, I think I've burned up 4 cords so far so sercure wood now!! Good luck, make sure it's installed safely.
There's not much to the insides, two acorn nuts on the back towards top hold the damper for bypass, three fire brick situated back there, thats about it. Looks like you have the rear heat shield, that's good, I'm sure it will help to push the heat forward. Now go install it so spring can start!

Hard to beat them as long as they are hooked up to good chimney. I have seen several bad installs where they stuffed them on a fireplace mantle and then hooked up to an adaptor plate on the fireplace damper. The fireplaces were inevitably on exterior walls and the flues were oversized. This leads to poor draft and possible smoke issues when loading.

Like the red, I've been using mine since November, works surprisingly well, don't expect 12 hr burn times but for its size I think it works well. Although it is my first stove and it is 1970s technology, I think I've burned up 4 cords so far so sercure wood now!! Good luck, make sure it's installed safely.
There's not much to the insides, two acorn nuts on the back towards top hold the damper for bypass, three fire brick situated back there, thats about it. Looks like you have the rear heat shield, that's good, I'm sure it will help to push the heat forward. Now go install it so spring can start!
Thank you! Like I said. This will be supplemental to our oil baseboard system. Whole house is 800sq feet and well insulated. Just trying to cut down on oil costs in extreme cold times. I’m thinking 1.5-2 cords of wood would be enough for two 6 hour burns a day

Hard to beat them as long as they are hooked up to good chimney. I have seen several bad installs where they stuffed them on a fireplace mantle and then hooked up to an adaptor plate on the fireplace damper. The fireplaces were inevitably on exterior walls and the flues were oversized. This leads to poor draft and possible smoke issues when loading.
Going to be installing single wall 6” pipe to a though wall thimbal to double wall insulated 6” up to the high required by the town

Sounds like you are doing your homework. Do you have a couple cords of wood already split and stacked?

Sounds like you are doing your homework. Do you have a couple cords of wood already split and stacked?
Haha funny story. So I purchased this stove for a property I havnt even closed on yet! We’re set to close April 26th. After the carpets get ripped out and hardwood floors resurfaced I will be building a stone or brick area for this to go! Will hopefully get some wood ordered mid summer! Looking to learn as much as I can beforehand. The wood will be handy for the Pizza oven I plan to build outside!

It's going to hard to find good seasoned wood. And poorly seasoned wood performs poorly. Most wood sold as "seasoned" is not ready to burn. Start asking around with neighbors, online, etc. to find a good supplier. If possible buy ash for faster seasoning. Oak will take at least a couple years season after it is split.

Screen Shot 2018-04-09 at 7.39.48 PM.png

It's going to hard to find good seasoned wood. And poorly seasoned wood performs poorly. Most wood sold as "seasoned" is not ready to burn. Start asking around with neighbors, online, etc. to find a good supplier. If possible buy ash for faster seasoning. Oak will take at least a couple years season after it is split.

View attachment 225625
Thank you for the information. Once I get the keys. I will definitely try to aqua ore at least a cord quick. And maybe some green wood for next year