New country line splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

old greybeard

Burning Hunk
Oct 29, 2018
PA
Spent my first stimulus on a TSC Country Line 25 ton. Split about 4 cords a year, shoulders hurt for 6 months after a summer of splitting 2 years ago. Rented a splitter last year, $89 a day, plus tax. Figured at $899 on sale it would pay for itself. Kohler motor was impressive, started first pull, ran perfectly.
Finally ran it. Gave it a good break in 15-18” locust, about 1.5 cords, man that wood is dense. Splitter blew thru it, only had to work hard if there was a knot.
Do you folks store yours inside or out?

Everything is better stored inside (under roof)

mine has been outside all it's life
including life before me.
Personally,i require equipment to be able to live outdoors and like it.

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy
Mine is outside and covered during the summer
Then it's covered and stored indoors for the winter

If you cover the engine, make sure it can breath and allow condensation to escape. The hydraulics - lots of equipment is either too cumbersome or too big to be stored inside, like excavators, farm eq, skid steer attachments etc. The hydraulics tends to be ok in those situations. Rodents - mice like to build under covers, especially under engine covers. Otherwise, it's never a bad Idea to store inside or under a cover to keep the elements off equipment. If you have the room, why not.

One thing I noticed about the countyline type splitter:
If a piece gets stuck "behind the splitting wedge" while it's retracting - stop, remove the piece, and proceed. It happened here and bent the to uprights meant to knock stuck splits off the wedge.

Last edited:
It cleaned up nice, changed the oil after 3 hours break in, decided to put it in the garage for now. Need to build a shed addition at camp.
It’s being spoiled, staying inside with the Cutlass
4EAEB34E-4E11-4D26-B362-7A1F3B982FD2.jpeg

Reactions: duramaxman05
I'll take what I believe is a Beaumont if that will give you more room

That car brings back fond memories of my younger years
I was an appliance mechanic when they came out . the Beaumont
was a Canadian built Pontiac the rear fenders and deck lid were
the same as the Cutless I drove a Canadian built Pontiac Acadian Canso SD
Miss those days Dam I am getting old

"Dam i am getting old"
That is a good thing!
the alternative to getting old is death...

Always stored inside . . . things last much longer than way.

Up here inside is way to valuable for a splitter.