New Fiskars

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I finally bought a Fiskars.After reading all the praises and breaking my Yardworks I figured what the hey.Just happened to be on sale this week at Canadian Tire.Not 100% sure if it's the Pro or Super Splitter but for $37 it was a good deal.Took some getting used to but what an axe.Glad I bought it.Thanks to everyone for sharing their stories on Fiskars.They're well worth buying.

Congratulations! You bought the Pro Splitter, since the Super is unfortunately not sold in Canada. I spoke to Fiskars, Canadian Tire, Home Hardware, etc. and they all confirmed this.

I used the Pro a lot before I picked up the Super. The Pro will fulfill most of your splitting needs and you can swing it all day.

I jumped on the bandwagon too and ordered a super splitter. No one here in town had fiskars axex. Lots of pruning shears, ect. I looked some other brands of mauls and for the extra $10 the fiskars looks like clearly a pro tool. I've never split before manually so when I get the SS I'll post my results.

Clarkbar2311 said:
I jumped on the bandwagon too and ordered a super splitter. No one here in town had fiskars axex. Lots of pruning shears, ect. I looked some other brands of mauls and for the extra $10 the fiskars looks like clearly a pro tool. I've never split before manually so when I get the SS I'll post my results.

If this is your first axe be careful!!! The short handle has claimed lots of toes....

Get your self a block at the right height for you and be careful of glancing off the side of your round..It will come right at your feet and legs...I have not got myself but have come close when I was to tired to still be splitting wood....

Thanks for the advice. I plan on being really careful. I have a big block of ash and plan to start with small stuff on top of it.

southbound said:
...The short handle has claimed lots of toes...

You have some sort of data to support this statement? Rick

ratherbfishin said:
I'm sorry but I will not try a Fiskars way too short for me.

Certainly no reason to apologize...split your wood whichever way is most comfortable for you. Rick

fossil said:
southbound said:

was wondering the same.

Danno77 said:
fossil said:
southbound said:

was wondering the same.

I would think that any injuries incurred would have been the result of error on the part of the operator and the lack of personal protection equipment (ie. steel toed boots). If you are taking the proper splitting stance, with your legs spread apart, there is no possible way you are going to cut your toes or contact your shins etc.

The Fiskars axe is a tool and not a toy. Like any tool (eg. knife, saw, firearm, etc.), it is only as safe as the operator. When used properly, it will work as intended. And it works very well.

got my ss today. gonna try it tomorrow.

Surely Fiskars has had a ton of feedback on their Pro and SS tools, the main concern being the short handle. I'm curious why a supposedly consumer oriented business would not respond to this constructive criticism and produce a tool with the SS head and a longer handle.

After using the Fiskars I do not have a problem with the handle at all, there is a trick with the knees and wrists but I think it works well, the last time I went to use my 8lb maul it seemed like the handle was too long.

I've had my super splitter for a couple months now. at first i was very skeptical, but I've grown to like it and now have been using it exclusively.

However, i still do believe after splitting 2 cords of wood with it - that the handle really is a little too short. I've hit myself in the foot, which is no big deal - but the scariest part, is 2 or 3 times, when splitting very knotty, knurly wood, the maul bounced off the top of the wood super fast and came straight for my face - which is very unsettling.

Also, I don't think that correct splitting form is to have your feet spread wide apart - thats good form for falling on your bottom. maybe shoulder width - but no more than that.

overall it is great. it requires a taller than normal chopping block and a little more care, but it does split well and is nice and light.

an added benefit, is that its sharp enough that you can chop off little side branches and knubby knobs that the saw missed - and also for some hard to split pieces, once it cracks, i'll sometimes lay the piece down and come at it from the side - which you can't do as easily with a big blunt maul.

I find that I also use mine as an axe from time to time too.

kenny chaos said:
Do they have wooden handles? :lol:

No, I wish. I vastly prefer wood handles for tools like axes, mauls, shovels, mattocks, etc. anything that requires a good bit of force to use - wood is a superior material.

FLINT said:
kenny chaos said:

No, I wish. I vastly prefer wood handles for tools like axes, mauls, shovels, mattocks, etc. anything that requires a good bit of force to use - wood is a superior material.

And it likes to be polished, huh fellas?

FLINT said:
kenny chaos said:

Wood handles break too easily so gave up on them about 20 years ago.

oldspark said:
FLINT said:
kenny chaos said:

There's a saying about those who break wooden handles but I pizz off enouff people already.

kenny chaos said:
oldspark said:
FLINT said:
kenny chaos said:

There's a saying about those who break wooden handles but I pizz off enouff people already.

Why stop now? :lol:

well in my excitement over a new tool I chipped the tip of my new maul..Nothing a sharpening wont fix but stupid never the less/

Status
Not open for further replies.