New Garn Jr is here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MaineGuy

Sep 3, 2013
Central Maine
Well I picked up a new garn jr on Friday. About all I've done so far is unload it and put it in my basement. I'll try to take some pictures as I get around to installing it. I still need to move it from just inside the overhead door in my basement to where is final resting spot will be. Here's some pictures of its journey home.

I didn't get any of unloading it with my tractor which was quite a task. If it had weighted another 100 lbs It would still be sitting on the trailer. My tractor was at max capacity. I could lift it about 8 inches of the ground which was just enough.

home.jpg in the basement.jpg loaded.jpg loading.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: flyingcow
You won't need to process 10 cord/yr any more!

1) Garn VS Heatmor
2) Taking advantage of standby losses where the are beneficial to you.

10 cord was only half of what the heatmor ate in 4 months. My father in law provided the other 10 cord. We heated 2 houses with it. Hoping to cut down to 8 cord and burn 2 months longer. Plus cut my snow plowing area in half. I used to plow a path to the owb.

But it's only heating my house now. He's having heatpumps installed this week.

10 cord was only half of what the heatmor ate in 4 months. My father in law provided the other 10 cord. We heated 2 houses with it. Hoping to cut down to 8 cord and burn 2 months longer. Plus cut my snow plowing area in half. I used to plow a path to the owb.

Wow - that thing was hungry.

Reactions: flyingcow
Yeah it's a good thing the guy I traded it too sells firewood and has a wood processor.

I'll be watching this thread with much interest. I made contact with Heaterman this week about a Garn Jr.

Heres' some more closer picture. Heaterman wonder if you can explain some of the ports. It seems to have a few more than I expected. The 2 on the front appear to be 1"npt, assuming maybe Solar interface? The back has 3, 1 1/2" npt female (assuming hot water out) and beside it appears to be 1" npt female (this one I'm not sure of its purpose) then at the bottom what looks like a 1" npt male (I assume the water return) it extends inside the unit to about the center of it.

20140413_142600_resized.jpg 20140413_142614_resized.jpg 20140413_142625_resized.jpg

What no manual with the boiler?

Yeah but it's a generic manual for all there models. These appear to be additional ports that don't show in the manual. At least I couldn't find it in there?

The 6 holes on the front right are for electric heat elements should you chose to put then in. The two higher up I just plugged, you could put a nice dial thermometer in there should you want to. The one all the way near the bottom is for a drain valve. The rear you have correct, the 1 1/2 is for the supply, the 1" at the bottom a return. The one next to the supply I have a well & aqua stat in for the control of the circ. on the HX . Nice pics you took -

Thanks Mike. I knew about the holes for the elements which I think I will put the elements in now. I may or not hook them up but figured it would be easier to put them in than to have to drain it later. It's going to be a couple weeks before I can start doing much of the installation. I am in the parts gathering stage right now.

I find it a bit odd that the supply is 1.5" and the return is 1"? I think every boiler I have seen they're the same size.

Nice looking unit though - have fun with the install. Don't forget the camera. :)

The supply is usually bigger on the GARN's to allow bigger pipe for NPSH requirements for the supply circ.

karl

The supply is usually bigger on the GARN's to allow bigger pipe for NPSH requirements for the supply circ.

karl

And the return is smaller to increase water velocity coming into the tank which helps prevent hot water "stacking" in the front of the unit.

Heres' some more closer picture. Heaterman wonder if you can explain some of the ports. It seems to have a few more than I expected. The 2 on the front appear to be 1"npt, assuming maybe Solar interface? The back has 3, 1 1/2" npt female (assuming hot water out) and beside it appears to be 1" npt female (this one I'm not sure of its purpose) then at the bottom what looks like a 1" npt male (I assume the water return) it extends inside the unit to about the center of it.View attachment 131630 View attachment 131631 View attachment 131632

The extra ports are just that. Extras included so you can use them for whatever else may come up in your installation such as solar, auxiliary controls, gauges or sensors. Enjoy your project!!

Reactions: MaineGuy
uploadfromtaptalk1397616765204.jpguploadfromtaptalk1397616788158.jpg

well I got ambitious tonight and moved it into place. Picked up 6 $12 dolleys at harbor freight last night. They actually worked quite well. It was a slow move by myself but it's moved. Now I need to figure out how to get insulation under it. Took me a couple hours but it went fairly smooth. That's probably all I'll have time for this week. But that's I got it this soon. So I could install it at a good pace. Obviously the Windows at coming out. Once the weather get a little warmer here.

Cut your sheet of high r in half, put half under and drop that end. Repeat for other end. I used 2" under mine. You're too close to the back wall I think? You need to get back there for plumbing etc.

The pictures deceiving there's actually about 18" between the wall and the back of it. Thanks for the suggestion of getting the insulation under it. I'll definitely give it a try.

Chris Holley is the rep for most of New England I believe. He's a member of this forum but I don't see him here much. Great guy to deal with and talk to.

Thanks heaterman I was just looking for his contact info.

Status
Not open for further replies.