New Guy; forced into burning for primary heat.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a little late to the party here, but I was in your shoes two seasons ago. 1961 boiler, $3000 in oil in the first year. I'm starting season three and have 10 cords out there for $1600. That's almost 3 years worth for half the price of one year with the old boiler. You'll like the wood heat better. On year three we find that we are comfortable throwing on a sweater and a blanket in other parts of the house. But we all like to gather around the stove and watch the fire most of the time. And i'm likely the 100th guy to say, but keep the number of that wood guy you got! I got $220 a cord and was thrilled. $175 is crazy.

I just got a cw2500 also and I have to say I am rather pleased. It certainly heats my first floor.

We've been running the same stove for 2 seasons and love it. Anything bigger would probably run us out of our Den ;-)

Reactions: newburner
Massive thread. Not to be all in your business, but regarding your oil boiler, did you research the Mass save program? We just replaced our 26yo oil boiler using mass save and got a $500 rebate and 0% for 7 years on the equipment and install. Great program.

Massive thread. Not to be all in your business, but regarding your oil boiler, did you research the Mass save program? We just replaced our 26yo oil boiler using mass save and got a $500 rebate and 0% for 7 years on the equipment and install. Great program.
The Mass save program was great. I got around $700 to turn in an old Fisher Mama Bear towards a new Jotul. It still cost us a decent chunk, but I couldn't turn down the free money.

Yes, looked at mass save but I would still have to buy a boiler.

Rebates have never appealed to me because you still have to spend a huge amount just to get it. After purchase rebates don't help if you can't afford the purchase in the first place.

The 0% is nice but you need good credit.

Update:

Passed another test! Yesterday we had our first measurable snowfall (only a couple inches) and the temps managed to reach into the lower 40's. Last night, it dropped to the lower 20's. The coldest overnight temps we've seen since our boiler broke and got the Century for primary heat so I was a bit uneasy about keeping everyone warm enough.

I loaded the little box up with 2 large splits and 2 bio bricks (my favorite configuration) when I went to bed.

I wake up this morning ~6 hours later. The outside temp was 21°. The hearth room was 75° and the furthest room from the insert was 68°

A little too warm for my comfort but it was satisfying to know the heat will be there if needed.

At the risk of sounding redundant, I have to thank everyone here. I would've probably woken to a freezing home had I not found this place.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-11-14-23-19-33~01~01.png
    Screenshot_2014-11-14-23-19-33~01~01.png
    26 KB · Views: 178
Congrats... I had the same cold sweats when I started. In the modern world getting satisfaction from something that is normally taken for granted is a big win in my book. Keep up the good work!

Thanks DTrain! My new found love of splitting wood with an axe and warming my family with fire almost matches the satisfaction I get when I run a comb through my beard every morning. [emoji91]

Got the Lil Century churning out some "free" heat again. Love it! My wife thinks I'm insane because every time I fire it up, I want to share pics with you guys. [emoji15]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416085177407.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416085177407.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 194
Reactions: wenger7446
625f8aa0e87d66a27485c2d9b675eaf4.jpg

Reactions: newburner
I just got the tapatalk jobby for my phone. This could be bad!

There have been stories in the northeast of wood thieves. I wonder if these perps primarily use the wood themselves or do they try to resell? Were the 2 cords delivered in 1 load? Did the truck have business details? Just a thought, really.

I din't real through the whole post but I saw where he never returned with cords 3 and 4.
Someone may have already inquired about the possible impropriety of the seller. That's my edited disclaimer!

I never thought of that Kelvin. I'm not sure what happened to him. I know where he lives and there is very little wood left.

To answer your questions, no, the cords were delivered separately. And no, there were no business details on the truck. Just an old beat up truck.

I bought a new stove this year too. I am hopeful that congress extends the tax rebate for efficient stove purchases. I also read that it may pass in the beginning of 2015 and be retroactive. Keep on the lookout. I don't think Mass has any rebates or incentives for high efficiency stoves though.

Update:

First time temps in the teens this evening. Lil century is cranking along keeping the house 70-72°. A bit warm but its better than a bit cold.

My anxiety about being warm enough with this insert as primary heat is really subsiding now.

Reactions: Cynnergy
I have my house cruising at 78. I still haven't turned the boiler on this year!

Update:

Passed another test! Yesterday we had our first measurable snowfall (only a couple inches) and the temps managed to reach into the lower 40's. Last night, it dropped to the lower 20's. The coldest overnight temps we've seen since our boiler broke and got the Century for primary heat so I was a bit uneasy about keeping everyone warm enough.

I loaded the little box up with 2 large splits and 2 bio bricks (my favorite configuration) when I went to bed.

I wake up this morning ~6 hours later. The outside temp was 21°. The hearth room was 75° and the furthest room from the insert was 68°

A little too warm for my comfort but it was satisfying to know the heat will be there if needed.

At the risk of sounding redundant, I have to thank everyone here. I would've probably woken to a freezing home had I not found this place.

How much do you close the air at night? I am getting good results about a third open. Seems to make the insert increase in temp. About 450.

How much do you close the air at night? I am getting good results about a third open. Seems to make the insert increase in temp. About 450.
If I cut it less than half, it goes out. I've only been able to close it 75% once. If I can manage to get it to 50% air without going out, that's where it stays.

If I cut it less than half, it goes out. I've only been able to close it 75% once. If I can manage to get it to 50% air without going out, that's where it stays.

As your wood keeps getting better (lower moister content) the more you can close your air intake.

I almost always run mine 100% closed.

Keep stocking up on wood (think of all the money you are saving over oil)

Yea, that's what I'm anticipating. That's why I'm not too worried about it.

Believe me, I'm loving not hearing that boiler kick on all the time

Do you have a chain saw? I just scored at least 4 cords from a farm near me of trunks that came down during Sandy. Check your local farms or large land owners. You will be surprised.

Do you have a chain saw? I just scored at least 4 cords from a farm near me of trunks that came down during Sandy. Check your local farms or large land owners. You will be surprised.

I have to admit I have been recently able with it 75% closed get a long burn time . This stove and the learning curve is total trial and error. I was burning through wood way too fast but now I can use less and get more heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.