New Here With A Question About Jotul Knock-Off's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spindeepster

Dec 10, 2005
Okay, so some companies out there duplicated Jotul products and got sued over it. (Go to GOOGLE and search for "jotul taiwan" to read the lawsuit) That said, why do some of the "purists" here consider the duplicates "Junk"? I was given a Taiwan-made Jotul #4, and I intend on heating my work shop with it. Why would anyone in their right mind dispose of a perfectly good woodstove because it's not a Jotul? Hey, I'm not saying what happened to Jotul is right, but would you throw away a Toyota because it's not a Ford or Chevrolet? What gives?

Ahh, for many many reasons. Looks mean NOTHING, and I believe the main difference was significantly thinner stove walls, but I could be wrong. Also, althuogh I do not know if this was a difference, but I would imagine a different alloy of Cast Iron was used, perhaps something with a lower endurance strength. But don't quote me on that, just a guess

If the difference between the Jotul and Scandia were of same quality, there would be truth to your analogy. Unfortunately the Scandia cast and manufacturing, cannot be compared to the alike Jotul. It is of much poorer cast, much thinner in thickness. There is no gasketing on the door, so run away fires are a real issue. No way to completely control the air escaping around the door. For a shop it may be fine, Since most are unlisted, it cannot be installed in living space. If combustibles such as sawdust, polyurethanes, lacquers, Gasoline, or other highly flammable liquids or vapors or are present in the shop, I advise not to use a wood stove

spindeepster said:
Okay, so some companies out there duplicated Jotul products and got sued over it. (Go to GOOGLE and search for "jotul taiwan" to read the lawsuit) That said, why do some of the "purists" here consider the duplicates "Junk"? I was given a Taiwan-made Jotul #4, and I intend on heating my work shop with it. Why would anyone in their right mind dispose of a perfectly good woodstove because it's not a Jotul? Hey, I'm not saying what happened to Jotul is right, but would you throw away a Toyota because it's not a Ford or Chevrolet? What gives?

You cannot use the car analogy with these stoves.

Think of it more like tools. Have you ever seen those "globemaster" hammers in the hardware or 5 and 10 stores for $1.99? Try pulling out a nail and the cast snaps or the handle breaks.

These are not recent knock-offs. They were made a long time ago when virtually no engineering was being done at the foundries in Taiwan. The quality control is really bad along with other things...for instance, if they have a bad casting, they use bondo and other things to make it look good for sale!

I'm all for getting a good deal. I buy certain cheap harbor freight tools for light use. But these are different....they are more like a car from the junkyard than a chevy.

That said, sure...someone with mechanical ability could check one over, reseal it, make certain of all bolts and tappings, etc. etc and it might be safe to use.

Given that even well made stoves from the late 70's are antique, dirty burning and at the end of their life cycle, it will be better for most of these "perfectly good" stoves to be junked. Don't worry, the cast iron will be recycled and live again!

Status
Not open for further replies.