New house, new Jotul F55, need Class A chimney configuration

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Knots

Minister of Fire
Mar 13, 2013
Alfred, Maine
I'm building a new ranch house with a Jotul F55 Carrabassett in the basement. Right now, the Olympia Ventis Class A pipe is scheduled to go straight up from the stove to the roof. One straight shot. The stove will be near the center of the house.

I've read some threads here where people mention having stove pipe configurations that allow them to clean-out from the basement.

Is this possible? How do you keep the dust storm from happening in the basement when you push the brush up?

Any suggestions on the best way to run the chimney would be appreciated.

well I would put in a support box in the basement ceiling put your stove directly under it and attach it with stove pipe with either a slip coupler or a draw band. I would recommend a draw band though because slip couplers don't slip very well after a few years. then you can just unhook the pipe tape a trash bag around the bottom of the chimney with the brush in it poke a hole in the bag and run your rods though it the bag catches the dust. I don't know jotuls very well but you also maybe able to clean through the stove and not even have to unhook the pipe. that is how we do most quads and regencies. but you would have to check with someone more familiar with jotules

well I would put in a support box in the basement ceiling put your stove directly under it and attach it with stove pipe with either a slip coupler or a draw band. I would recommend a draw band though because slip couplers don't slip very well after a few years. then you can just unhook the pipe tape a trash bag around the bottom of the chimney with the brush in it poke a hole in the bag and run your rods though it the bag catches the dust. I don't know jotuls very well but you also maybe able to clean through the stove and not even have to unhook the pipe. that is how we do most quads and regencies. but you would have to check with someone more familiar with jotules

Thanks. I'm not familiar with a draw band. What's that look like?

A draw band is basically a clamp that goes around the pipe

Yes we use them allot it makes it much easier to remove the pipe. We do back them up with screws through into the pipe though

Status
Not open for further replies.