New Installation - Location question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jullom

Hearth Supporter
Dec 29, 2009
Central Indiana
New to the forum - great info, thanks.

We have bought a small (1000 sq ft), used, wood burning stove. The best location for us to install is in a corner that has windows on wall approximately 2 or 2 1/2 feet from the corner. Should there be any concern with this location? There is also cable and electric outlets on the wall in the corner - any concern for the plastic covers?

It's a "homestore" brand but will do as a supplement and until we build a new home. Thanks for the help.

Welcome to the forum. Homestore doesn't ring a bell. Depending on the actual stove, this could be an issue. We need make and model or at least a picture to identify the stove and establish its corner clearance requirements. Look on the back of the stove for the UL label listing make and model + clearance requirements.

It was bought at one of the homestores (e.g. home depot, lowes). the seller couldn't remember where he bought it.
Model no. FW240007. My main concern is the actual location of the fireplace being so near two windows...the little bit of paperwork the seller had shows a 7" clearance from the closest corners of the stove to the walls. thanks for the help.

That's a Century. It's a nice little stove. As long as you follow the clearances you should be fine. They should be online.

You'll like the stove.

Matt

I installed this century stove today and have had a fire for a couple hours now - It has our house warmer than i imagined, that's the good news. It's a corner installation and my concern is the clearances asked for 7" from walls to corner of stove. I have a little over that on each and one of the sidewalls is too hot to leave your hand on for very long...Is this normal? it is all drywall sidewalls with window on each and wood trim around the windows...thanks for your thoughts.

jullom said:
I installed this century stove today and have had a fire for a couple hours now - It has our house warmer than i imagined, that's the good news. It's a corner installation and my concern is the clearances asked for 7" from walls to corner of stove. I have a little over that on each and one of the sidewalls is too hot to leave your hand on for very long...Is this normal? it is all drywall sidewalls with window on each and wood trim around the windows...thanks for your thoughts.

That sounds awfully close - are you sure it was 7" to combustibles, not just 7" to nearest non-combustible?

Unless I'm reading it incorrectly, i attached the link to the only paperwork that came with this stove. It says "Figure A Clearance from combustible constructions" and my corner installation says 7" from corner to wall. Even though the paperwork says okay, if I'm reading it correctly, would you still move it out since the wall was so hot to the touch. Don't know if this matters, but i do have a blower on this unit as well.

thanks,

http://legacy.vermontcastings.com/catalog/elements/files/FW270007-8.pdf

I would agree - that seems to be the case from the pdf - I find it surprising that flat on you have to have 18", and that it's much lower at an angle - I know the sides now face away and from them, there will be clearance, but even still.

One thing to remember is that you can't hold your hand for any amount of time on the side of a boiling kettle which is at 212, so your walls may not be that hot..

A bit more details would help. The minimum clearances are 7" from stove corner to the back and side walls. However, there is no problem with exceeding the minimums. Is the stove connected to the class A box with single or double wall pipe? If single-wall, the minimum distance from the pipe to combustibles is 18".

How long can you hold your hand on the wall and at what location, relative to the stove?

Keep in mind that our skin burns at very low temperatures with respect to combustion.

I don't think I could hold my hand on a surface with a temp of 140-150 or so for very long, but that's nowhere near combustion.

Your wall temperatures are probably lower than the dashboard in your car on a hot summer day.

-SF

It is connected to single wall up to the ceiling. The single wall was over 18" away from the wall, however, with little effort I can move the stove a few more inches out so I am going to move it out to about 10 1/2 inches away and go from there. thanks for your thoughts, it makes me feel better.

BeGreen - your post also made me wonder if the clearance for the single wall pipe from the combustible wall is a minimum the entire heighth of the pipe (at the ceiling where it goes thru and into double wall? The paperwork (i attached a link to it earlier) shows 15" from the combustible wall to the exit at the top of the stove but does not discuss the distance at the ceiling. I'm assuming it does not matter once it gets to a certain height as the temperature would be reduced significantly and since some people actually take it to the sidewall. Hope my question makes sense.

I have a small box woodstove for my 10x10shed.How low must I be from ceiling ,I am running my 6' pipe through a crock on sidewall?

Single wall requires 18" clearance from any combustible, including the ceiling or joists above when run horizontally. A heat shield on the pipe can reduce this clearance or use double-wall pipe (6" to walls, 8" to ceiling).

Status
Not open for further replies.