New Jotul C350 winterport

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect this is partially seasoned wood combined with an air supply that does double duty as airwash first. If the house is very tight, the insert may benefit from an outside air supply. The C350 has a simple air slider at the top of the stove that feeds the airwash and then the fire. The good news is that as it gets cooler outside, draft is really going to increase and if covered on top, the wood is going to be drier. If you take some graphite powder (used to lube locks) and put it on the bottom of the air slider, it will move more smoothly. FWIW, the C450 has a more elegant lever operated air control (cool to the touch, one finger operation) that directs air in front, at the base of the fire.

Special thanks to all for their contributions of knowledge. It has been verified that my source of wood and kindling is good to go. The readings are anywhere from 15% on the low end to a 27% on the high end with erratic readings of 35%. This is measuring the fresh split inside edge. The pieces that generated the high readings were exposed to the rain of last night on the end of the pile. The top of the pile is covered. this may not be the best wood but it is acceptable. We measured 7-10 different splits.

22% or below is considered good to go.

Shari

Called the dealer yet?

Hello WA woodburner, lots of good things being said. Having been a Jotul dealer sales guy for years and years, and recently moving to a VC and Enviro with Country stoves business of my own (and P/Energy) I wonder if you may be a victim of steel stove ease to operate as well. I ran the Oslo (Jotul) for years, consider it to be the best cast stove I've burned, but it was sometimes difficult to get going. The bottom line was good good good dry firewood. Remember you are heating lots and lots of cast iron first, before the stove can give off heat. Steel stoves like the Enviro and Country are much easier to get going (up to temp typically in 15 minutes). Theres prob nothing wrong with the Winterport, all of Jotul's inserts were beautiful, but I will say again from sales and operating experience, I've never seen it to be the stove. The chimney drives the stove, some stoves run better with minimal draft, you mentioned the country yourself, they are great burning stoves, when Lennox bought them tho, they are very expensive now. If you have a full length liner installed, by chance, is the chimney a center house or end house chimney? And, is the chimney higher than the main envelope of the house? If not, the house may be trying to act as the chimney, again, competing draft. Good luck, the Jotul is a beautiful stove, I do agree with you tho, steel stoves are easier to run. I will tell you, P/E has the Alderleas, we just started carrying the cast line, its a cast stove that runs like steel (it has the steel line's innards). Oh yeah, no one is trying to insult you or your operation skills, its just we've seen it time and time again, wet wood. Good luck.

Enviro 1700 Kodiak FS
Enviro EF3 (Can you see I like Enviro/)

This confuses me. Isn't the Jotul insert a steel stove at heart? I suspect by the time this is straightened out the temps will have dropped many degrees and the stove type will be a moot point.

15 more days until the bundle of wood from the 7-11.

I'm sorry folks. It is always the same problem and the same answer. I am just into cut to the chase mode these days. I thought I knew it all too and was burning great wood for 21 years. This place gave me a come to Jesus moment and it has been fantastic burning every since.

BeGreen is trying to be nice. I am not. It is the wood.

Here's a little test you can do to help test how well your primary air control is working: crumple up 5 or 6 sheets of newspaper (black and white only, no slicks) and ball them up in the center of the stove. Light them, and when they get engaged good, shut and latch the door. Quickly close the air control, and you should see the paper die down quickly. Open the air control, and the paper should reengage quickly. If you see no change at all, I would say it is possible that your air control is not working properly. However, 27% moisture content is high for an EPA stove. What type of wood are you using, by the way? Got any dry pine you can load up with?

Status
Not open for further replies.