New Jotul F55 right side not burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sailrmike

Feeling the Heat
Sep 20, 2017
I have noticed when turning the air down that the left side of my fire maintains bright red coals, some primary and secondary flames, while the right side has very dim coals, no primary flames, and robust secondaries. Any thoughts on this?

I just did a dollar bill test on the door gasket. It seems fine, although the right side (Hing side) isn't as tight a seal as the left side. Should I try removing a shim from the door catch to further tighten the gasket?

No love lol, I think I've answered my own thread..... It's finally cold enough to warrant a medium size fire, and I was able to build a larger coal base. Tonight's fire is burning well, and my glass is staying clean. I can't help but notice (maybe I have a more meticulous eye than most) that on all of my modern wood burners, the door hinge side of the firebox just doesn't burn as efficiently as the handle side. Anybody else notice this?

No power at home . . . only able to check hearth.com at work (and I have free time since a lot of places, including schools are closed).

But yes . . . I suspect you answered your own question . . . you should see a change in the way the fire burns with larger fires.

Sorry to hear that, nasty storm. We we're very lucky not to have lost power

Sorry to hear that, nasty storm. We we're very lucky not to have lost power

True . . . but I'm looking at the positive side of things . . . I've ended up hauling home a load of wood on Tuesday, Wednesday and maybe today, depending on the weather.

Still no power . . . but we have our woodstove, the lake is nearby so I can get water to flush the toilets and our small generator is keeping the refrigerator and freezer powered up. A lot of folks aren't so fortunate.