New Pacific Energy FP30 Installation Progress Thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If that is the same firebox as the summit, which it appears to be. It's meant to be loaded N/S(straight in) for best performance. It'll make it easier to stuff it right full with no worries of wood rolling onto the glass.

Looks great though!

I've never really compared the FP30 with the Summit fireboxes, but I've heard that they are the same .
I loaded the previous 2 splits N/S but decided to change it up and go E/W this time.

I've not yet had it loaded up full because we haven't had the cold temps to warrant it. I'm hoping to fill 'er up and see how long she'll burn.

Reactions: mcdougy
It can be loaded either way. I personally think it burns better N-S though.

Here another short video of the secondary burn shortly after loading 2 more medium splits.

Temperature is dropping here and now it's snowing. Going to get to see what this puppy can do. [emoji91]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saydinli, that's a pretty vigorous fire if the air is turned down all the way. How tall is the chimney on the fireplace?

Last edited:
Saydinli, that is a pretty vigorous fire if the air is turned down all the way. How tall is the chimney on the fireplace?

The chimney is about 25 ft I think. 1st 16 ft are inside the house, another section is in the attic and the rest outside.
I have ro admit that the air hadn;t been turned down that long before I took that video. It is much calmer now.

Here's another with the air all the way down for the last 40 mins or so.
Does is still seem too vigorous? I have nothing to compare it too as this is my first stove/fireplace.

OK, that's a bit better. With a full firebox reload you'll want to start turning down the air as soon as the wood starts burning well. On our stove that can be within just a few minutes with dry doug fir, or more like 5-7 minutes with hardwood.

OK, that's a bit better. With a full firebox reload you'll want to start turning down the air as soon as the wood starts burning well. On our stove that can be within just a few minutes with dry doug fir, or more like 5-7 minutes with hardwood.

Ok great. I've been trying to wait till most of the wood is blackened with some charring starting. Sometime I get to enamoured with the nice big flames and maybe leave it up a little too long.

I have found that the easy breathing firebox on the Summit/FP30 allows closing the air down pretty quickly with dry wood. Normally for us that is quite before the wood fully chars. You have good strong draft so I would practice shutting it down as quickly as possible as long as the fire doesn't start smoldering. Lazy flames are fine. This will greatly lengthen burn times without sacrificing heat.

Now that we're into the cold season (-4::C feeling like -11 with wind chill) I decided to fill up the firebox for the first time. There was a bed of hot coals on the bottom. I loaded it full to the top with mostly medium splits and once the bottom ones caught fire I shut the air right down. After about 30 mins the whole box was a blazing inferno LOL . I took a reading at the centre of the baffle right above the fire with my laser thermometer and was reading about 950::F. WOW. it got HOT!!. it took a good hour for the temps to start falling to around 850 then soon after to 750ish when I went to bed 3 hours later.

So would this be considered an over-fire situation for the FP30? I'm thinking I should have let the bed of coals cool down a bit more and also use larger splits as well leave the air right down when I loaded it. This fireplace has great draft I think due to the 25+ ft chimney and the outside air kit.

Last edited:
Was this a reading through the glass? The fire temp in the firebox can exceed 1000F. The stainless baffle will get hot. It is not relevant or necessarily accurate. What is important is the stove or fireplace body temp. Take that temp on the outside of the fireplace just above the left or right corner of the door.

Reactions: Squisher
Yes it was reading through the glass. The laser was pointed up right in the middle of the baffle.
I didn't take a reading On the outside of the door but I'd assume of the baffle was 950 then the outside of the door was surely colder. I'll have to check that out next time.

Ah good, then it is unlikely that this was an overfire situation.

Depends on several factors. We burn mostly softwood unless it gets below 20F here which isn't common. With a full load of thickly split doug fir the stove would be at about 2-300F at 8hrs. With a full load of locust it might still be at 4-500F at 8 hrs after cruising at a peak of 700F for a couple hours. If I have the air open more for more heat in cold weather then the time might go down to 6hrs for those temps.

Depends on several factors. We burn mostly softwood unless it gets below 20F here which isn't common. With a full load of thickly split doug fir the stove would be at about 2-300F at 8hrs. With a full load of locust it might still be at 4-500F at 8 hrs after cruising at a peak of 700F for a couple hours. If I have the air open more for more heat in cold weather then the time might go down to 6hrs for those temps.

That sounds pretty good to me. I'm not sure if you can ask for much more in reality? Crank it up a bit while awake, slow it down come bed time.

I just put a full load in tonight at 9:00. 4 large splits 1 medium and 3 smaller filling the gaps. Should last till I get up at 5:00. Let's see !!

That sounds pretty good to me. I'm not sure if you can ask for much more in reality? Crank it up a bit while awake, slow it down come bed time.
Unless you need extra heat for the longest burns run it at the lowest air setting possible without smoldering the fire.

Unless you need extra heat for the longest burns run it at the lowest air setting possible without smoldering the fire.

Thanks. This fireplace has such good draft I can only run it on it lowest. LOL.

So I woke up this morning to a nice bed of glowing coals ready for a reload after 8 hours. Thermostat read a balmy 70. Probably could have gone another hour or so before reload but I had to go to work and didn't want my wife to have to deal with it.

This is about 20 mins after reload last night I had just turned the air down all the way about 5 mins earlier.

This is one is about an hour after last nights reload. The secondary burn was quite spectacular.

Went to bed about 10:30 ( hour and a half after reload) and the new thermometer in the left corner was reading 650 and seems to stabilize at that temp. I also kept both blowers running to minimize potential overheating.

Last edited:
What is the chimney height?