New Progress Hybrid up and running

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRambler

Feeling the Heat
Jul 29, 2014
CT
Howdy Folks. Firstly I want to thank everyone here, because i have learned alot of the last several months.

So i replaced a Hampton H300 with a Woodstock Progress Hybrid this past Wednesday. Insall went well overall and in short oder i had my first break in fire going. Just want to share my experiences with both the stove and Woodstock throughout this whole process.

I experienced a bit of a run around at Woodstock for a period of about two weeks. Long story short-My stove was supposed to ship on 1/2, and it didn't, and they would then give me a new date every few days with a guratee it would be shipping out on X date. Well, it eventually did ship, but it was very frustrating to say the least.

So, the stove gets here and i get it all opened up t inspect it and the inside , rear, center piece of soapstone had a large chunk of stone that fell out. Was about 3.5inx2.5in x .5in. So i called Woodstock, and they said i was fine to run it as is but to send them a picture so they can match the color and they would get out right out to me. I then started assembling the ash pan and heat shields. When i got to the point of putting on the ash lip I noticed some imperfections and iregularities in and around the left bolt hole. And sure enough, just as i was snuging it up it cracked. So i again called woodstock and the added that onto the shipment as well. I must say that it was a night and day difference between the customer service i recieved during the ordering/shpping process and the post sale contact. Hope to have the replacement items here soon.

I went ahead and put the ash lip on anyway for the time being. Just used a large washer to help support the damaged bolt hole.

So far I absolutely LOVE this stove. It's absolutely beautiful, and is heating my home splendidly. My H300 really used to struggle when the temps were below freezing. With the PH it is keeping the temps up easily. I used to wake up for work around 0530 and find the furnace running. Now I get up and the house is still 65-68 depending on outside temps and wind, and still about 4-5 inches deep of coals with stove top temps 350ish.

With my h300 my SS flex liner used to measure about 350-450 surface temp with an IR therm. The PH is running 200-300 depending if i am doing all cat or a high burn rate. I am getting 11-13 hour burns on low (overnight), and about 5-7 if i am running it hot. Also a major difference between the h300 and the PH. I am sure those will improve a little as i learn the stove more.

Loving the ash pan! What a great design. Overall I am extremely happy with my decison to get the PH. Still working out a few quirks in regards to the hearth getting a little too warm near the left and right sides of the stove. But it seems to be better now that i have more ash in the stove.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Tenn Dave
Excuse the roxul and sheet metal under the stove. Put it there when the hearth was getting way too hot for my comfort level.

Thinking i am going to upgrade the hearth slightly in the spring just for my own piece of mind. Hearth under the roxul now is 68-70, where as before it was 180ish

Good to hear you finally got the stove and that it's warming the house nicely. Just in time!

What is the current hearth construction?

Current hearth construction is ceramic tile over 1/2in durock nex gen. So thats .41 r value, with the ash lip the PH requires .40. Think I am going to break up the tile in the spring since some of it is cracked anyway, and add another layer of durock or some mineral board etc. The hearth was originally built for the H300. But having it hit 180F a few times now, i just want to err on the safe side and add some more insulation material. I put the roxul and sheet metal down just for piece of mind for the time being.

Good plan. It seems like Woodstock may have underrated their hearth requirement for this stove.

Without the ash lip, it says its .80, and with it .40. And the weird part is the high temps are only in 2 specific areas near the left and right sides. Everywhere else, in around and under the stove hover around 90-105. On these two areas they range from 125-185.

You're not the first to observe this on a PH with the ashlip.

Howdy Folks. Firstly I want to thank everyone here, because i have learned alot of the last several months.

So i replaced a Hampton H300 with a Woodstock Progress Hybrid this past Wednesday. Insall went well overall and in short oder i had my first break in fire going. Just want to share my experiences with both the stove and Woodstock throughout this whole process.

I experienced a bit of a run around at Woodstock for a period of about two weeks. Long story short-My stove was supposed to ship on 1/2, and it didn't, and they would then give me a new date every few days with a guratee it would be shipping out on X date. Well, it eventually did ship, but it was very frustrating to say the least.

So, the stove gets here and i get it all opened up t inspect it and the inside , rear, center piece of soapstone had a large chunk of stone that fell out. Was about 3.5inx2.5in x .5in. So i called Woodstock, and they said i was fine to run it as is but to send them a picture so they can match the color and they would get out right out to me. I then started assembling the ash pan and heat shields. When i got to the point of putting on the ash lip I noticed some imperfections and iregularities in and around the left bolt hole. And sure enough, just as i was snuging it up it cracked. So i again called woodstock and the added that onto the shipment as well. I must say that it was a night and day difference between the customer service i recieved during the ordering/shpping process and the post sale contact. Hope to have the replacement items here soon.

I went ahead and put the ash lip on anyway for the time being. Just used a large washer to help support the damaged bolt hole.

So far I absolutely LOVE this stove. It's absolutely beautiful, and is heating my home splendidly. My H300 really used to struggle when the temps were below freezing. With the PH it is keeping the temps up easily. I used to wake up for work around 0530 and find the furnace running. Now I get up and the house is still 65-68 depending on outside temps and wind, and still about 4-5 inches deep of coals with stove top temps 350ish.

With my h300 my SS flex liner used to measure about 350-450 surface temp with an IR therm. The PH is running 200-300 depending if i am doing all cat or a high burn rate. I am getting 11-13 hour burns on low (overnight), and about 5-7 if i am running it hot. Also a major difference between the h300 and the PH. I am sure those will improve a little as i learn the stove more.

Loving the ash pan! What a great design. Overall I am extremely happy with my decison to get the PH. Still working out a few quirks in regards to the hearth getting a little too warm near the left and right sides of the stove. But it seems to be better now that i have more ash in the stove.

View attachment 152206
Your PH looks great and it will only get better as you get more hands on time with it. And with mine the burn times increased when my oak & hickory hit 3 years of cs&s. Not sure why your hearth temps are higher (I and most of the other folks I have talked to are not having this issue), but I agree with you that the hearth would benefit from an upgrade. Peace of mind is worth the effort. And I think you will find that Woodstock will support you every step of the way with this stove post purchase. And I speak from experience. Congratulations and best of luck.

I do like the look of the PH . . . sharp looking stove.

I do like the look of the PH . . . sharp looking stove.

I thought it looked good in pictures before I got it, but oh man, in person it is truly a beauty. Very satisfied. Though if I had to do it over again I probably would get one of the brown colors instead of charcoal. But, i love the look of it none the less. And I could always paint it if I decided to get crazy haha.

I also knew this stove was bigger than my h300, but it is REALLY a huge difference in size even though the firebox is only a little over 1cf more. Think its all of the mass of the soapstone and cast. Its a real heating beast. My house is running an average 5-10 degrees warmer now, and its constant. No more swings from 60-70. I have been able to hold the temp fairly steady right at 69-72. With the h300 i was keeping the temp in the house only about 65-66. only way to get it higher was to run my basement pellet stove higher too. Now I have the basement stove set at 62 and am saving on pellets now. I could probably get the temp up higher if i tried and really burned it full out, but we are comfortable at 70 plus or minus a bit.

Saving on running the propane furnace for a few hours a day in the early morning hours, and saving about 1/2-3/4 a bag of pellets a day. At this rate the stove will pay for itself fairly quickly.

I am running the PH connected directly to a 5.5in SS flex liner, in an interior masonry chimney,23ft total. about 16ft or so is interior, 1 ft in the cathedral, and 6 ft exterior chimney. Have excellent draft with this setup. Heating 2200 sqft (not including the 600sqft basement), its a fairly open floor plan with very high cathedral ceilings(16-20ish ft). Being a radiant stove i think it is really making a big difference. The upstairs used to always be chilly, but now 1 side of the stove hits the upstairs landing and the heat is evenly distributed through the upstairs hallway into the bathrooms and bedrooms. Before the upstairs was only 62-65 on average, now its 68-70. We just shut our bedroom door at night because we like it a little cooler when we are sleeping. The h300 was a convective stove and I always felt and saw with the ir therm that the heat was being trapped up in the high ceilings.

Very happy with our purchase. Its really cold here today and windy, and the house temp has just been slowly climbing all day. I love it! I also love waking up in the morning to a warm house and the pleasantly silent sound of the furnace fan not running!

Oh, and i am only loading the same amount of wood that I was putting in the h300, which was a 1.7cft firebox. So I would say the PH is definitely way more efficient, as claimed.

Reactions: rideau
Looks very nice! :cool:
radiant stove i think it is really making a big difference.
When I ran the Fireview here, we could feel the radiant heat about anywhere in the room, like 25' away as long as we were line-of-sight. It felt a couple degrees warmer than the actual room temp. I imagine the PH is radiating even more. Our recliners are 6' and 9' from the front corner of the stove. ==c
Loving the ash pan! What a great design.
You are doomed; You'll never be able to buy another stove without grated ash-handling, which will severely limit the pool of stoves you can pick from next time. >>

Status
Not open for further replies.