New saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gregbesia

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 26, 2009
central CT
Finally pulled the trigger on a new saw. Thanks to all good reviews I got a 346xp. what a difference from a small 35 cc saw! I used it this morning to cut some wood and this thing rocks !

Attachments

• IMG_1245.jpg
    IMG_1245.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 479
  • IMG_1244.jpg
    IMG_1244.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 494
  • IMG_1242.jpg
    IMG_1242.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 488
  • IMG_1243.jpg
    IMG_1243.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 479
Moved it over into The Gear forum, greg. Rick

(Nice looking saw!)

Oops ,sorry

gregbesia said:
Oops ,sorry

:lol: No reason to be "sorry"...gives me an opportunity to do my "job". :p

That will be an awsome saw!

20" bar? Looks nice and a bit too pretty.

It'll continue to get better with every tank of gas you run through it and it slowly breaks in. About 10 tanks it'll be a different saw from what you started at.

I never noticed before that the 346XP NE has both a primer bulb AND a decomp button. Seems weird. I always thought they were mutually exclusive as you usually don't see a bulb on a saw wiht a button and vice versa.

You might not want to keep it in the kitchen, though. %-P

fossil said:
You might not want to keep it in the kitchen, though. %-P

Thats a given! ;-)

Thanks guys. I agree , its almost too nice to be used, I was tempted to never put gas in it and just keep it in the bedroom on a dresser, but my wife did not like the idea. Question- the saw came with 20 inch bar and H30 chain (safety?) , should I get a different chain for it , if so what do you recommend ? Thanks

That's some nice Black Locust there!... and a pretty saw too. I am a Stihl guy, but I will agree that stepping up to a pro saw of any make is awesome. I went from 029 to 036 this summer and I know just how you feel.

It is too clean. Send it over and I'll ruff it up for you and return it in 3 months.

Nice. Just about any pro saw is going to feel like a rocket-ship compared what you were using.

gregbesia said:
Finally pulled the trigger on a new saw. Thanks to all good reviews I got a 346xp. what a difference from a small 35 cc saw! I used it this morning to cut some wood and this thing rocks !

I have that same trailer...I think. Harbor Freight foldable?

Thanks FlatBedford , That locust is heavy, i was afraid to put any more on that trailer , ( something called long chi, bought on cl)

gregbesia said:
Thanks guys. I agree , its almost too nice to be used, I was tempted to never put gas in it and just keep it in the bedroom on a dresser, but my wife did not like the idea. Question- the saw came with 20 inch bar and H30 chain (safety?) , should I get a different chain for it , if so what do you recommend ? Thanks

I would just use that chain until it's dead. When it's time to get a new one or add some extras, look in to full or semi chisel non safety chain. I use Stihl, Husky (Oregon), Woodland Pro (Carlton).... all good stuff.

I bought a new one this spring myself. I think you will find the saw will get stronger with every tank of gas you run. I only have a few tanks in mine myself but the weather is starting to cool off enough to run our toys. The were going to put a 20 inch bar on mine but I wanted speed in the cut and I have a larger saw. Mine wears a 16 inch bar. I have considered the 3/8 pitch conversion.

I would discard any safety chain at maximum speed!

Congrats.

mayhem said:
I never noticed before that the 346XP NE has both a primer bulb AND a decomp button. Seems weird. I always thought they were mutually exclusive as you usually don't see a bulb on a saw wiht a button and vice versa.

I thought is was a choke and primer bulb that served much the same purpose.

gregbesia said:

Husqvarna H30 = Oregon 95VP. That is a .325 narrow kerf (NK) chain.

If it has NK chain, that means that is should have a NK bar. You can run regular kerf .325 chain on that NK bar, but you shouldn't run NK chain or a regular kerf bar.

There's nothing wrong with the H30/95VP--it's very smooth. I prefer running Stihl RSC or Oregon LPX in .325 on a 16" bar on that saw.

Great Saw, 346XP is kinda the Porsche of pro saws. Realtively small & lightweight, and screams (literally, I think it's a 15K+ RPM saw!) through the wood.

Tree Pointer, primer bulbs ensure a cold saw starts on the 2nd tug. Those of us that own Stihls (very few have primers) well know that a cold start requires a couple more tugs than a primer equipped saw.

Mayhem, the reason you rarely see both on a saw is cost. It is kind of a luxury to have a purge primer and a choke.

Primers these days no longer squirt fuel into the intake (at least on small 2 cycle engines) since it would be very easy for someone to flood an engine that way. Plus with every manufacturer trying to improve engine emissions, squirting raw fuel anywhere is a no-no. Instead the primer just purges the fuel line and carburetor of air, dumping excess fuel back into the tank. Then it's up to the choke to help pull fuel from the carb for a cold start. So even with a primer, these days you still need a choke.

TreePointer said:
mayhem said:

I thought is was a choke and primer bulb that served much the same purpose.

My old Craftsman saw had a primer bulb and a choke, never even heard of a decomp button till I joined this forum. My 359 has a decomp button and a choke, but no primer bulb. The 346XP OE does not have a primer bulb, but it does have a choke and a decomp button.

Mayhem, the reason you rarely see both on a saw is cost. It is kind of a luxury to have a purge primer and a choke.

I'll have to defer to your experience here, but this just doesn't add up in my brain. If a primer bulb is a luxury item on a 2 stroke, why do I only see it on lower range saws and not on the 372XP...the $1700 3120XP doesn't have a primer bulb and in that price range you'd think they'd put every little bauble they could on there.

But the $90 string trimmers at Wal mart all have primer bulbs.

Just clarify, I'm not talking about a choke, I'm talking about the decompression button on the side of the cylinder.

HittinSteel said:
gregbesia said:

I would just use that chain until it's dead. When it's time to get a new one or add some extras, look in to full or semi chisel non safety chain. I use Stihl, Husky (Oregon), Woodland Pro (Carlton).... all good stuff.

+1

You may actually be talking about a purge bulb. Purges air from fuel line and diaphragm chamber, without spritzing any into the carb.

My little 35cc Taiwanese McC1435 "Mac" has both such bulb & choke. Blue collar all the way, though. Makes startup very simple: 10 slow pushes on the bulb, one crank with choke on & ignition off, one crank with choke off & ignition on. Below freezing, two cranks with choke on.

This saw is definitely not "luxury" equipment. Not at its price. More like a mini-mule.

Awesome saw. I don't know if I am more jealous of the saw or the locust, probably the locust since I have one of them thar' saws and I don't have any locust.

Thanks Peter. I just love how this saw looks ( I realize I may have mental problems). I think that if Steve Jobs worked at Husqvarna, he would have designed 346.

gregbesia said:
Thanks Peter. I just love how this saw looks ( I realize I may have mental problems).

Yep you have mental problems and I think I see a 372 in your future!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.