new stompin' ground

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukem

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2010
Indiana
My neighbor about a quarter mile up the road has just given me permission to cut dead/down trees on his land. Standing dead / down black locust, red elm, and hedge as far as the eye can see and I can get the triler within 5 feet of most of it. "Take as much as you want". I offer a cut some, keep some deal but he declined...said he will keep cutting as long as he is able...but may take me up on the offer someday. I'll be more than happy to oblige.

This is going to allow me to cut in the evenings rather than burn weekends. I'm pretty pumped.

Going to have to get him something nice for Christmas.

lukem said:
My neighbor about a quarter mile up the road has just given me permission to cut dead/down trees on his land. Standing dead / down black locust, red elm, and hedge as far as the eye can see and I can get the triler within 5 feet of most of it. "Take as much as you want". I offer a cut some, keep some deal but he declined...said he will keep cutting as long as he is able...but may take me up on the offer someday. I'll be more than happy to oblige.

This is going to allow me to cut in the evenings rather than burn weekends. I'm pretty pumped.

Sounds greatl, those deals don't come around much.

Zap

Great deal.
Nice to have good neighbors.
Nice to get close to the rounds with a trailer & Looks like quality wood too!
Sometimes having someone to talk to, about this & that, over coffee or a beer is better than a nice gift.

Pictures, don't forget to take some pictures ;)

I'd retire from scrounging in a heartbeat with a deal like that. I'd talk to his wife and sneak some onto his piles when he's not around.

Yeah, I really lucked out on this one. About 10 or so years ago he girdled all the sub-par lumber species (mentioned in OP) and what's left is some really nice, dry firewood waiting to be picked up.

It was selectively logged not long ago so there are a lot of tops to work too.

lukem said:

Plus something else nice immediately. Maybe a gift card for a local restaurant so both he and his wife can enjoy? A cold beer occasionally this summer if you see him out working in the yard. Use your imagination.

I might mow his yard...clear his leaves this fall...or mow his x-mas tree farm a couple times. I have a 60" commercial mower and could knock it out in short order. The couple is getting up there in years and this is probably getting hard for them to do themselves.

I'm sure that will definitely be appreciated.

I did some cutting back there today. It was hard to decide where to start there's so much. I ended up hauling out about 2/3 cord of barkless red elm and hedge. The elm was dry enough some is in the stove right now. Sounded like bowling pins. Supposed to get in the 20's tonight, so that worked out pretty good.

I've never burned hedge so I'm looking forward to that. Sure was hard to split...so it had better be worth the extra effort. My saw is neon yellow now too.

Going to get some locust next time for easier splitting...the elm and hedge wore me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.