New to site,Looking at used Hearthstone Shelburne...Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian

Aug 31, 2012
Long Island,NY
Hello Gents,I'm looking at a used shelburne with all the Class a for my set up and the hearth pad with tools...I was ready to buy the class a for $2400 and a stove from Lowes for $700...I still would need the hearth and tools to boot....I talked the guy down to$1800 but I haven't seen it and will have to remove it from the house and haul it away.I think it's a steal...But I need advice on looking for signs of abuse.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks...Looks like it could use a fresh coat of hi temp but that's peanuts
New to site,Looking at used Hearthstone Shelburne...Advice

Good job talking him down from three grand to $1800. Don't own a Shelburne but have always wanted to give one a try. Were it me I would pull the firebrick and use a strong flashlight inside it to look for leaks at the seams. And visually make sure the top plate isn't warped. And would check the seams again after I got it home to make sure that a leak didn't open up as a result of the move.

Other than that cracks in the castings? Cracks in the flue collar? A little casual conversation "I haven't had a stove before. Is it easy to control. Does it try to run away and get too hot sometimes?". >>

OK good,that's the kind of info I'm looking for..So remove the brick and look for day light and obvious visual defects...That looks like a good deal if it's in good shape though no?Thanks for the feedback...Northern VA,I have family iin that area,love it down there.So I guess you looked it up LOL

Oh does that look like double wall inside?The guy seems clueless about any details of the stove.He claims he had it installed 5 or 6 years ago and really doesn't seem too knowledgable of his purchase.I don't understand how you spend that type of money and don't remember details...

Hard to say if that is double-wall connector. If the stove checks out and is in good shape, then the stove + pipe is a good deal.

Hearthstone sez the flue collar's 6"...so my guess from the pic is that's double wall stove pipe. Here's a little video from a trusted source. Lots more info to be had by googling "Shelburne Wood Stove" or some such. Rick

Not sure what you mean by double-wall connector. I have a Shelburne with single-wall flue. Here's a close-up photo I took a few months ago when I cleaned the flue for the first time. I also have the exploded parts diagram, but it just labels the pieces without showing any detail. My Shelburne was bought new with enameled exterior. It works great and I've had no problems at all with it.New to site,Looking at used Hearthstone Shelburne...Advice

P.S. If it isn't obvious, the photo was taken looking down into the connector. The stove shop asked if I wanted to use single-wall or double-wall flue, so I'd suppose you could use either. (I chose single-wall because I have about an 8-foot run straight up and I wanted to capture the heat radiating from the single-wall flue.)

Dan,Yes I need the double wall because I'm going out the block in my basement and need to get the 6 inch clearance from the ceiling.I would prefer single for the extra heat but it's impossible....I am really excited at the prospect of getting this stove,from what i read,It's a greaty stove

Either way, whatever, the interior double wall pipe is more money than single wall but it is stainless steel inside and won't corrode. The price difference is pretty small compared to the huge money for the class A and of course, you actually get something for the extra money.

Is this a finished basement?

Yes sir,The basement is finished...Finally LOL.The walls and the bottom plates are insulated,I opted to not insulate the ceiling which I believe will prove to be a good thing at this point.I'm really hoping this checks out because obviously it's a good deal but I think it's a beautiful looking stove as well.

Oh does that look like double wall inside?The guy seems clueless about any details of the stove.He claims he had it installed 5 or 6 years ago and really doesn't seem too knowledgable of his purchase.I don't understand how you spend that type of money and don't remember details...

Perhaps he doesn't want to talk much about it because he knows something? Always be suspicious on this type of thing. Good luck.

K,so I went and checked it out.The Guy I was dealing with is a kid in his early twentys or late teens and had his mom in the background.Nice Kid,Doesn't really know details because he didn't pay for it...Looks good besides a little creosote inside.All the gaskets and bricks are intact.The cast iron is all straight and looks ok considering it's been around about 6 years.Honestly these people really bought the stove for the ambiance...She complained that her burner never came on upstairs LOL...So the glass was a bit dirty but started to burn off in the half hour that I was watching it burn...It is only single wall inside so i need to buy double wall black and a telescoping peice to go through the wall...I offered him $1500 because I still need to spend to get it running.My fingers are crossed and I'm waiting for his Dad to come home and give the up or down...Really could use a break like this for once...Nice stove overall and I think with me owning it it would really appreciate it.They just weren't cut out for the woodstove thing in my opinion.

K,so I went and checked it out.The Guy I was dealing with is a kid in his early twentys or late teens and had his mom in the background.Nice Kid,Doesn't really know details because he didn't pay for it...Looks good besides a little creosote inside.All the gaskets and bricks are intact.The cast iron is all straight and looks ok considering it's been around about 6 years.Honestly these people really bought the stove for the ambiance...She complained that her burner never came on upstairs LOL...So the glass was a bit dirty but started to burn off in the half hour that I was watching it burn...It is only single wall inside so i need to buy double wall black and a telescoping peice to go through the wall...I offered him $1500 because I still need to spend to get it running.My fingers are crossed and I'm waiting for his Dad to come home and give the up or down...Really could use a break like this for once...Nice stove overall and I think with me owning it it would really appreciate it.They just weren't cut out for the woodstove thing in my opinion.

Checking in a bit late . . . but after hearing this I would say this sounds promising. A lot of folks have woodstoves for occasional burning and may not remember many details about their stove, installation, etc. since -- believe it or not -- many folks are not "into" woodstoves as much as us folks at hearth.com are . . . believe it or not. ;)

K so I'm getting screwed around,I want to pay for it and get it and he's giving me the run around...Starting to get pissed off.I may have to look for another stove.I'm annoyed because I already ordered the rear heatshield for the Shelburne....Oh well,I'm giving him until tomorrow night to give me a solid pick up time or he can annoy someone else...I just got 2 nice cords delivered today and I don't even have a stove :)

Can you speak with the dad?

Ordering the wood before the stove is a good move. Brian, where are you on LI? Begreen's advice is sound. I think you may have better results speaking directly to the father. Be patient. It may work out well for you. How many square feet are you looking to heat with wood?

Ordering the wood before the stove is a good move. Brian, where are you on LI? Begreen's advice is sound. I think you may have better results speaking directly to the father. Be patient. It may work out well for you. How many square feet are you looking to heat with wood?
I'm in Medford....This kid is pissing me off!I'm going to give him to the end of today to give me a firm date or I'm gonna drop some coin and buy a new one...Speaking to the Dad would be the best thing probably,but this stove is an hour away and the kid is the point of contact,I'll give it a whirl!\

So the kid says he can't sell it because his sister was really upset about it...I don't know how yuo agree to sell something and then a week later tell someone no deal.OH WELL...Looking for another one right now!

Looks like a craigslist thing. Tried three, completed one and all were disasters. Never again.

Lotta good wood stoves in the world. You will get one of them. And be happier with the deal.

Hey Brian, I'm sorry it didn't work out. That was pretty inconsiderate of that family. So lets take it from the top here, how much space are you looking to heat? Sounds like you've figured out the chimney layout. Is budget a major determining factor?

So the kid says he can't sell it because his sister was really upset about it...I don't know how you agree to sell something and then a week later tell someone no deal.OH WELL...Looking for another one right now!
Happened to me three times. It's one of the hurdles when buying a used stove.

Hey Brian, I'm sorry it didn't work out. That was pretty inconsiderate of that family. So lets take it from the top here, how much space are you looking to heat? Sounds like you've figured out the chimney layout. Is budget a major determining factor?
I'm looking to heat about 1800 sf including my basement which is where the stove will be...I know the basement isn't ideal,but my house is laid out horribly.The stove will be close th the door way which will always be open that goes into the house.The ceiling in the basement is not insulated but the walls are.I don't spend much time down there but it's nice and finished.I don't wan't to roast myself if I am down there so I'll take it easy on the wood at that time,then crank before I go back up...Make sense?Budget is a bit of a concern..trying to stay around $4000 max....I was looking at the supervent double wall stainless at Lowes.Cheap price but i THINK THE QUALITY IS ALSO CHEAP...tHE INTERIOR DOUBLE WALL IS ALSO CRAPPY...I think I'm gonna buy the good stuff and rest easy!I have a few leads on some new stoves that are being cleared out...An Avalon Rainiere and A Dutchwest that does 1500 SF...Thoughts on those stoves!

I'm looking to heat about 1800 sf including my basement which is where the stove will be...I know the basement isn't ideal,but my house is laid out horribly.The stove will be close th the door way which will always be open that goes into the house.The ceiling in the basement is not insulated but the walls are.I don't spend much time down there but it's nice and finished.I don't wan't to roast myself if I am down there so I'll take it easy on the wood at that time,then crank before I go back up...Make sense?Budget is a bit of a concern..trying to stay around $4000 max....I was looking at the supervent double wall stainless at Lowes.Cheap price but i THINK THE QUALITY IS ALSO CHEAP...tHE INTERIOR DOUBLE WALL IS ALSO CRAPPY...I think I'm gonna buy the good stuff and rest easy!I have a few leads on some new stoves that are being cleared out...An Avalon Rainiere and A Dutchwest that does 1500 SF...Thoughts on those stoves!

You probably need to start a new thread to talk about stoves other than the Shelburne (the title on this thread won't attract the audience you want).

Status
Not open for further replies.