New to wood-burning, couple of questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It was interesting calling and talking to their customer service department; they were almost apologetic about the fact that there was no air control.

I hope they quickly realise that this is not exactly their most brilliant idea and engineering !

Shrinking of the metal due to rapid cooling?

Yep, stressing the welds. It will never be a problem if you do it gradually keeping in mind your doing it as if you had a standard air control.

Yep, stressing the welds. It will never be a problem if you do it gradually keeping in mind your doing it as if you had a standard air control.
Yup, totally makes sense.

I'll be way happier once I have some form of control. The damper seems pretty "slushy" in terms of control, and seems to actually make the temps increase for a while before actually slowing down the burn

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Okay! My plan is to get a steel bar with dimensions of 1/8"x1.5"x24" (the total width of the stove is 26&5/8", so this should be wide enough to cover the holes), then add a handful of rare earth magnets to them with high temp epoxy or glue (may not need the adhesive) to attach it to the stove in an easy to adjust way. Then weld two rods (or ideally something similar to the handle on my stove's door) on either end of the steel bar to control it.

Thoughts, comments, smart remarks or suggestions?

I'm not super worried about the secondary air inlets.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk