New wood rack!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ThunderMedic

Oct 19, 2015
Lusby MD
Built my second face cord track for under the deck today. Two 8' 4x4s, and four 8' 2x4s sitting on bricks to keep it up off of the patio to allow more air space underneath. Probably way overbuilt, but I like things to last. The first one I built is 3 years old with very little sign of wear. eea7010402d4df0af68d63c60f296e53.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Should have turned the 2x4's on edge

Reactions: Hebner
Well maybe, but he got his spacing set up so the diagonals dont interfere with storage volume.

Nice going.
I was talking about the bottom ones. But yes, it should work.

Reactions: Jeffm1
I laid the bottom 2x4s flat for ease of attachment to the bottom of the 4x4 uprights. I spaced the front to back braces at 20 inches measured to the outside of the 2x4 so that my wood would lay nicely, as I cut all of my rounds to 18 inches. This way,I don't have any pieces sticking out beyond the dimensions of the framework. This allows easy tarping when the weather gets colder. The stacks i keep under the deck on the concrete patio are all well-seasoned dry wood. The stuff out in the yard on pallets is the stuff that needs a bit more drying time. I've got about 1.5 years worth of wood on hand, but I'd like to push that out to 3 years.

Reactions: Soundchasm
The bricks will pick up the load. If you don't like the looks, just screw some uprights down to ground level. No matter what, your splits will be off the floor

Reactions: ThunderMedic
I laid the bottom 2x4s flat for ease of attachment to the bottom of the 4x4 uprights. I spaced the front to back braces at 20 inches measured to the outside of the 2x4 so that my wood would lay nicely, as I cut all of my rounds to 18 inches. This way,I don't have any pieces sticking out beyond the dimensions of the framework. This allows easy tarping when the weather gets colder. The stacks i keep under the deck on the concrete patio are all well-seasoned dry wood. The stuff out in the yard on pallets is the stuff that needs a bit more drying time. I've got about 1.5 years worth of wood on hand, but I'd like to push that out to 3 years.

Nice rack ,me personally wouldn't change a thing,more width at ground level means a sturdier pile. I shall plagiarize your design.

I would trade the 4x4s and the 2x4s. 4x4s on bottom and 2x4s for the verticals.