New Wood Stove for boats- saw it locally from Vashon Island ,Washington and thought everyone would b

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, what is their "hybrid technology"?

$3500, for a small stove?

I'd be surprised if it sells in WA state without EPA approval.

Others make really cool little stoves, as well. I doubt that any of them incorporate secondary burn. I wonder whether or not the EPA even worries about them. How many of these little things can there be out there? Rick

http://www.marinestove.com/index.htm

BeGreen said:
I'd be surprised if it sells in WA state without EPA approval.

Their specs say that the stove hasn't been tested in an independent lab. Is that a requirement for EPA approval?

Not just EPA but if it hasn't been tested in a UL licensed lab no insurance company that I am aware of will insure the house it is in. Probably not the boat it is in either.

May be something you don't think about now... But years ago, on Crab Boats and any other large fishing vessel (Pirates too! LOL), there had to be a heating device on the vessel to heat and cook with.

I would think that now its just for the appeal and hobby to have a wood-stove in your Boat. Like BBart said, I think it would have to be UL listed to be "Legal". If its not tested by an outside laboratory, No Insurance agent will cover that thing... Just my opinion... I could be wrong...

But if I had a Boat??? Would I want one??? Absolutely!!!! Just have to make some small splits to fit in there.

Reactions: ScotO
If I had a boat, I'd want one of the marinestove ones. Those are seriously cute. Maybe even worth getting a boat for.

But the Kimberly? Am I the only one here that thinks it looks like someone wandered into the clearance aisle in a hardware store on a rainy day, and started thinking when they should have been drinking? And maybe it's just the photo, but the quality of construction appears to be lacking as well.

snowleopard said:
But the Kimberly? Am I the only one here that thinks it looks like someone wandered into the clearance aisle in a hardware store on a rainy day, and started thinking when they should have been drinking? And maybe it's just the photo, but the quality of construction appears to be lacking as well.

You are not alone.

Ugly looking stove . . . makes the Blaze Kings look hot.

its got a 5 buck ball valve for an air intake...i put those on my drum smokers to kinda control air to the charcoal...looks like about 50 bucks of material....pretty good mark=up to 3500....

Ugly with a capital UG. Looks like a hobbyist type construction, not a real MFG. That might be the same reason it isn't tested.

Edit: After reading the Blog - it turns out that I was right.

Sometimes happens when pipe dreaming is not using stove pipe.

is it actually made out of a piece of stainless chimney?

Hello wood burners! Thank you Virginia and all the good folks in the stove industry. My name is Roger Lehet, inventor of the Kimberly Stove. I have read all of the comments on here and I say thanks. For those with more scrutinizing tastes, the picture in the web site, and the threesheetsnw.com e mag is (thank god) a prototype. The new stoves which are due to be released August 24th this year, do feature a finished look. They will be sleek and polished. The burn time on one of Virginia's Home Fire Prest Log ( a really wonderful product made from recycled scrap wood and saw dust) is a whopping 10 to 12 hours. During this burn you will only see smoke emmitted from our 3" stack during the brief heat up period as the stove gets to about 800 deg .F. At this point our combustor system hits temperatures of up to 1600 deg. f. The double vortex inside the firebox ensures a very turbulent air flow within two separate burn chambers creating a gasifier and a reburner in one 10" (diameter) by 30" talll cylindrical shaped stove. The cook top will attain temperatures of up to 1150 deg F. while the flue gasses are approximately 300 deg .f. only 18 inches above the stove.
Yes I agree that $3500.00 seems high untll you factor in the following things. The first is that the chimney system in most cases is only $200.00, compared to the class "A" pipe needed for most stoves with its heat output, estimated at 27,000 btu. The next would be the all stainless construction designed to burn multiple fuels such as salt water drift wood, charcoal, and in some area's coal. The inner liner can also be replaced easily so the stove will last a life time. Some of this cost, of course will go to pay for E.P.A. certification and U.L. list, and patent, to answer that question. We are also proud that this product is made in the United States with the best of quality and warranty for years of trouble free service. Add all that to the fact that this stove is portable and can be used for many different applications.........Really not a bad price at all. We are also developing a system of hot water production for domestic and or hydronic use, and producing electricity is expected to be added later this year. With small adaptations this unit can be converted to burn pellets, pitts, and various oils, possibly propane if the market supports this. We have already started working on a new unit which we call the Katydid. It will be 11" tall and has a 4" diameter for those with really tiny spaces. This stove has had a burn time of 6.5 hours on ten pieces of standard charcoal, and had a top temperature of 950 deg F.
I will keep updating this post, and the website will be completed as soon as the new stoves are ready for photo's

Thanks, and keep warm......Roger and Bridget Lehet, inventors/owners

Reactions: UrbanBrnr
At $3500 it's going to be a tough sell, but good luck. Let us know how it develops and tests out, but do keep future posts on R&D. Folks get touchy about sales pitches in the forums. That is what the ads are for.

BeGreen said:
At $3500 it's going to be a tough sell, but good luck. Let us know how it develops and tests out, but do keep future posts on R&D. Folks get touchy about sales pitches in the forums. That is what the ads are for.

The boat people seem to have money.

Only a small segment would consider a wood stove on a boat. Tiny homes and houseboats could be a good fit though.

Hello..... You may be right, although I hope not. My 10 days at the boat show in Seattle and the exposure we have gotten from various periodicals would argue against that, but just in case we have open ears. Your Tiny House suggestion is a good one, and their blogger has been in contact with us about the stove. He wants to incorporate it into his blog as soon as the new photo's are available

be great for burning drift wood i bet tho, if you have a boat big enought for a woodstove 3500$ is nothing

rogerandbridget said:
Hello wood burners! Thank you Virginia and all the good folks in the stove industry. My name is Roger Lehet, inventor of the Kimberly Stove. I have read all of the comments on here and I say thanks. For those with more scrutinizing tastes, the picture in the web site, and the threesheetsnw.com e mag is (thank god) a prototype. The new stoves which are due to be released August 24th this year, do feature a finished look. They will be sleek and polished.

So my hat's off to you for being a good sport about our candid comments on your invention. I for one look forward to learning more about this. The smaller one might fill a niche for those of us who would like a second stove, but don't want to dedicate the space required. It will be interesting to see how this works out in terms of btu's, as well as the more polished look you anticipate.

Status
Not open for further replies.