New Wood Stove Install Recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It was the winter before last, the cold long one. That December I put the PH in (avatar) as in October I knew Oslo wasn't going to cut it. So, when all said and done, that Oslo was in that hearth for 5 years and consistently burned 5 cords per year. PH at the end of season, a little over 2. No supplemental heat and the house was warmer.

Impressive, especially if the wood species was the same and there were no other heat loss improvements done to the house.

Thanks for the pic.

I really like my Explorer II I just had put in.

81fd399d2a6632cd93dc0293d77790cb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Impressive, especially if the wood species was the same and there were no other heat loss improvements done to the house.
The house was basically un-insulated and the only change was I added an add hock OAK through the window to feed the PH. Interesting is that the wood I used was a maple looming over the house cut only the previous August. It was a dry summer, and the wood burned fine.

Here is a pic of my VC Radiance vented gas stove. The wife likes the looks of this for a wood stove. It looks almost identical to webby3650's Quadra fire IR I seen him post today. Not sure the Ashford has this look? I think the IR are out of production now?20170213_204708.jpg

Here is a pic of my VC Radiance vented gas stove. The wife likes the looks of this for a wood stove. It looks almost identical to webby3650's Quadra fire IR I seen him post today. Not sure the Ashford has this look? I think the IR are out of production now?View attachment 194686
I hear they did discontinue it. I have no idea why? It was there best looking stove in my opinion.

Went and looked at a PE Alderlea today. They had T5 and a Summit. The T5 looks on the small side. The Summit firebox was more in the range I like (same as the T6). I wish the T6 came in other colors like the T5.

Hello,

I'm currently shopping to replace my old stove and have pretty much the same short list:

PE Alderlea T5
Blaze King Ashford 30
Quadra Fire Explorer II
Jotul F500

What did you end up going for and what was the main reason?

What should I go for in my situation?

Log house, main open floor of 960 sq feet with an open mezzanine of 480 sq feet.
Vaulted ceiling of 27 feet at the peak.
Weekend home that will become the main home within the next 3-5 years (might be sonner :))
I need a stove that will heat quickly on Friday nights (very high volume of space to heat) and will keep the house warm thru the night. Current stove (Osburn 1800) has to be reloaded in the middle of the night which is the main reason to replace it.

Thank you in advance for your input!

Last edited:
Hello,
I'm currently shopping to replace my old stove and have pretty much the same short list:

PE Alderlea T5
Blaze King Ashford 30
Quadra Fire Explorer II
Jotul F500

What did you end up going for and what was the main reason?

What should I go for in my situation?

Log house, main open floor of 960 sq feet with an open mezzanine of 480 sq feet.
Vaulted ceiling of 27 feet at the peak.
Weekend home that will become the main home within the next 3-5 years (might be sonner :))
I need a stove that will heat quickly on Friday nights (very high volume of space to heat) and will keep the house warm thru the night. Current stove (Osburn 1800) has to be reloaded in the middle of the night which is the main reason to replace it.
Thank you in advance for your input!

Hello again,

My short list is now even shorter:

Blaze King Ashford 30
Quadra Fire Explorer II

I'm leaning towards QF just because i'm on the fence using a cat stove...
This is the primary source of heat and I don't want any part that can break down and take some time to order and replace.

Thanks again for all your input.
Great info on this forum!

In a 2.0 cu ft non-cat the Alderlea T5 would have probably had the longest burn time due to the regulated secondary air. This is what a friend put in his A frame. But in this circumstance (quick heat up for weekend use) I would go up to a 3 cu ft stove. You are probably not going to benefit as much from a cat stove due to the periodic burn cycles and the need for quick full heat. The Explorer is a nice stove, but a cast iron, jacketed steel stove is going to be slower to warm up. (Same issue with the Alderlea and the Ashford). For your purposes as long as you have the space for clearances and a well insulated hearth, I would consider an unjacketed steel stove. Upgrade to the BK Ashford or the Explorer III down the road when you are living full time there. For now I suggest the Osburn 2400, Drolet Myriad II or HT2000, PE Summit or an Englander 30NC.

In a 2.0 cu ft non-cat the Alderlea T5 would have probably had the longest burn time due to the regulated secondary air. This is what a friend put in his A frame. But in this circumstance (quick heat up for weekend use) I would go up to a 3 cu ft stove. You are probably not going to benefit as much from a cat stove due to the periodic burn cycles and the need for quick full heat. The Explorer is a nice stove, but a cast iron, jacketed steel stove is going to be slower to warm up. (Same issue with the Alderlea and the Ashford). For your purposes as long as you have the space for clearances and a well insulated hearth, I would consider an unjacketed steel stove. Upgrade to the BK Ashford or the Explorer III down the road when you are living full time there. For now I suggest the Osburn 2400, Drolet Myriad II or HT2000, PE Summit or an Englander 30NC.

Hi begreen.
Thanks for your reply!

I totally understand your suggestion (I looked at the PE Summit Classic), but once the house is warm, would a bigger stove creates more creosote and polution since I might not be able to run it at an ideal temp? My Osburn 1800 does the job to keep the house warm once it's started, but I have to keep loading it at least evey 3-4 hours. I usually run it at the medium setting (air control in the middle).

Thanks!

You control the temp by the amount of air the stove is supplied and the quality + amount of fuel put in the firebox. When warming up a place from a cold temp, even though the air may start to warm up in a few hours, all the mass (walls, floors, ceiling, furniture, cabinets) takes much longer to equalize. Add to this a vaulted ceiling where the heat wants to pocket and stratify. That is why I suggested a bigger stove. Greater capacity = longer burntimes. If you are having to load the stove every 3-4 hrs then either the wood is poorly seasoned or a lot of heat is still required. If the weather is milder, then just load up 2 cu ft of wood.

You control the temp by the amount of air the stove is supplied and the quality + amount of fuel put in the firebox. When warming up a place from a cold temp, even though the air may start to warm up in a few hours, all the mass (walls, floors, ceiling, furniture, cabinets) takes much longer to equalize. Add to this a vaulted ceiling where the heat wants to pocket and stratify. That is why I suggested a bigger stove. Greater capacity = longer burntimes. If you are having to load the stove every 3-4 hrs then either the wood is poorly seasoned or a lot of heat is still required.

I always burn 2 year old seasoned wood, so that's not the issue. You're right, ultimately it might not put enough heat. I will definitely consider the PE Summit Classic. As a bonus, it's a pretty looking stove too!!!

Thanks for your help!